+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 1224 FirstFirst ... 4041424344454647484950515253545556575859601001505501050 ... LastLast
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LATAS
    Needed to vent and here seemed appropriate....
    at the company Christmas party this morning, got a call from the main office telling me they had just received notice from the IRS stating they were to levy my entire paycheck until the $26,000 I owe (their figure, not mine,) is paid... levy immediately. HoHoHo. Called them to straighten it out but I will apparently have to wait until after I can afford to pay the accountant the $650 I owe to do the taxes. Of course now I cant pay the accountant because they are levying my paycheck.
    This sucks.
    LATAS, that sucks. Why couldn't they have waited until after Christmas to do this? I hope everything gets straightened out soon for you.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie
    LATAS, that sucks. Why couldn't they have waited until after Christmas to do this? I hope everything gets straightened out soon for you.
    Thanks for the support. I really needed that. I make 8.73 an hour and work 38 hours a week, so I'm trying to figure out..... what decade will it be when it's paid off?

You gotta laugh at yourself because everyone else will
    TRUTH, BOREDOM, HUMOR
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."
    -Jerome K. Jerome

Quote Originally Posted by LATAS
    Needed to vent and here seemed appropriate....
    at the company Christmas party this morning, got a call from the main office telling me they had just received notice from the IRS stating they were to levy my entire paycheck until the $26,000 I owe (their figure, not mine,) is paid... levy immediately. HoHoHo. Called them to straighten it out but I will apparently have to wait until after I can afford to pay the accountant the $650 I owe to do the taxes. Of course now I cant pay the accountant because they are levying my paycheck.
    This sucks.
    That sucks. I thought they could only garnish a certain percentage so that you would be left with a little to live on (yeah right).
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood
    That sucks. I thought they could only garnish a certain percentage so that you would be left with a little to live on (yeah right).
    You are right about garnishing to collect a judgment under the law of every state I am aware of dagwood. The percentage usually varies depending on whether the judgment is for child support or not. The IRS operates under different rules though. Kinder and gentler indeed. LATAS--Have they talked to you about making an offer in compromise?

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    You are right about garnishing to collect a judgment under the law of every state I am aware of dagwood. The percentage usually varies depending on whether the judgment is for child support or not. The IRS operates under different rules though. Kinder and gentler indeed. LATAS--Have they talked to you about making an offer in compromise?

I think it is different here in Utah (I don't know about other states), if I remember correctly, they can garnish up to 75% (collectively) for civil judgments (including child support) - but federal/governmental (school loans, back taxes, etc.) they can take 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    I think it is different here in Utah (I don't know about other states), if I remember correctly, they can garnish up to 75% (collectively) for civil judgments (including child support) - but federal/governmental (school loans, back taxes, etc.) they can take 100%.
    Good Lord. They have got to be kidding. That's enough to make someone quit and not work at all.

I am sorry you are having this problem LATAS. You must be at wits end. What a crappy birthday/Christmas present.

toothdoc

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ToothDoc
    Good Lord. They have got to be kidding. That's enough to make someone quit and not work at all.

I am sorry you are having this problem LATAS. You must be at wits end. What a crappy birthday/Christmas present.

toothdoc

I know, I was thinking my next steps would be to the next bankruptcy attorney's office. Although those things are not dischargeable in bankruptcy - other debts are - which might buy another case of Ramen every month.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar
    Latas, I think I would try dealing directly with the IRS-It seems if you call and talk to someone (and be sure to write the name and time), they might be able to get something in the works for you. I had that problem about 20 years ago and (even though it wasn't that much) IRS let me pay off the amount in smaller increments. I think they want to work with you and could possibly come to a deal. And doesn't it sound like I work for them? I don't....I promise!!

FORT Newbie
    Newbie here but had to say OMG at the IRS thing. OUCH. That really bites. Good luck in getting it all worked out.

Janice Lynn
    American Title round 3 finalist

Quote Originally Posted by famita
    Latas, I think I would try dealing directly with the IRS-It seems if you call and talk to someone (and be sure to write the name and time), they might be able to get something in the works for you. I had that problem about 20 years ago and (even though it wasn't that much) IRS let me pay off the amount in smaller increments. I think they want to work with you and could possibly come to a deal. And doesn't it sound like I work for them? I don't....I promise!!
    Now there is an option other than the installment payment agreement it sounds like you entered into famita. That is the offer in compromise I mentioned above. Basically, if you can show you can't afford to pay the amount owed, they can now forgive a large portion of it.

+ Reply to Thread