+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1553Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

ButterflyFaery, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

butterflyfaery, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. You and your family are in my thoughts.

ScoutMom, I wonder what kind of mold it is. I also wonder why they kept the office open. Usually they opt to keep mold areas contained until threat is gone. Could be that your services too important to others to halt or to move. That should make you feel better!

MRD

Scoutmom,

It's mold and it can make you very sick. Many times buildings are shut down because of this problem. Whoever owns the building needs to get it cleaned up or OSHA or the health dept. needs to be called in before anyone else gets really sick.
    And you do not have to work in that enviroment. If it can't be cleaned up, then the boss needs to move you guys to a temp. office until it is cleaned up.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;2643656;
    THANK YOU SO MUCH and yes you are right ..I KNOW she is dancing with JESUS right now and she is with my grandfather who has been gone such a long time and I know they are watching over us.. I appreciate all of ya'lls thoughts and prayers with my family in this time and I can even begin to express how much it means to have friends like that here on the FORT
    I am sorry to hear of her passing. Happy to know she is dancing with Jesus, though. Your family will be in my prayers.

Butterflyfaery- Iam so sorry to hear about your Grandmother please know that everyone here has a good ear to listen to and a strong shoulder to cry on.
    There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved- George Sand

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2643697;
    Office Update - The flood happened through the middle of the night Tuesday into Wednesday. On Wednesday afternoon, people from maintenance came and removed some of the wet ceiling tiles, but not all of them. (Why you may ask? I have no idea!)

Thursday morning when I got in (at 6 AM), there were big fans placed throughout the office directing air onto the wet carpet spots. I could smell mildew or something as soon as I opened the office doors. I had a cold that was almost gone, and I was feeling pretty good by Thursday. However (big however), by mid-morning, I was coughing like crazy, had a massive headache, and my head was horribly congested. So I thought my cold was coming back - which didn't make me very happy. Throughout the day, various people were complaining of headaches. A couple went home early.

Thursday night I felt fine. The cough went away, headache went away, congestion went away. Felt fine Friday morning when I got up.

I got to work at 6 AM as usual. As soon as I got off the elevator, I could smell the mildew. It's actually getting WORSE! Within a half-hour, I was coughing, had a bad headache, and was all congested again. And then I found out one of the girls in the office (who is always sick) ended up going to the hospital because of breathing problems!!!

Needless to say, by 8 AM,I was sitting in my own little house again. I have a vacation day scheduled for Monday, so we'll see what happens on Tuesday when I go back to work.

Anybody have any experience with something like this?
    I've been through situations like this and they needed to remove all of the ceiling tiles, not just the ones that are either "apparently" wet or wettest, as well as removing the carpet and padding (if there is carpet padding under). If it is glue down carpet (usually done on concrete) they need to have the carpet removed, all remaining glue removed and the floor, ceiling tile grid, wallcovering etc., (for lack of a better term) bleached to kill any mold spores and then seal the concrete and then can they start replacing. For walls that have gotten wet due to either water pouring down in/on or wicking up into from the floors they need to remove wallcovering and possibly the drywall underneath to remove any/and or all traces of mold. It's no small task but necessary to insure integrity of the space. If any ductwork from air handling systems was affected and breached where any insulation may have gotten wet, that needs to be replaced, as well as any insulation in walls and ceilings. In effect, the space affected (your office) really needs to go to bare bones to start again, where anything was affected. - sorry for the long winded post, but I've been through this. We had a major sump crock pipe burst in one of my buildings a few years ago and we had water over about 1/2 of the basement, we had all of the carpeting pulled up, floor disinfected, about 50 feet of wallcovering and drywall removed and replaced from the floor up to about 18 inches (thats how much wicked up). Then after everything was removed it had to "dry" with huge fans for about 3 days then and only then could my contractors come in and begin the task of "rebuilding".

Of course since my campus covers Retirement living, assisted living, full skilled nursing care and alzheimers care, senior meal programs, adult daycare etc., we tend to be overly cautious because of the ages of our residents who deserve a safe "home" and places to go. We don't throw money away, but our elderly come first and if I have to spend it to keep their "home" safe I spend it.

Here is a link to my place of employment, I am the Maintenance Manager for the Home and Chai Point, Sarah Chudnow is another campus we own, which I do not directly manage. We just completed a Multi million dollar renovation of the Nursing home,which was built in 1973, totally gutting the building to the four walls and starting over to bring us into the 21st century.

Harry & Jeanette Weinberg Jewish Terrace
    Last edited by just1paul; 11-02-2007 at 06:51 PM.

My grandmother has been sick all summer. I am so so so sorry that yours has past. I do like your up-beat way of thinking of the afterlife. It makes me think of my grandmother dancing with the whole angel crew! Which makes thiking of her death a little bit better. So thank you! And my thoughts to you and your family.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Whoops I couldn't edit my post later but neglected to add, that for this renovation to take place, we bought the building of a nursing home that had just gone out of business, brought it up to codes, moved our residents to that location, renovated our building from Nov 2005 until Sept 2007, moved everybody back and then are in the process of selling the "temporary" building. Everyone was glad to be back home, staff, residents and their families.

ButterflyFaery, sorry to hear of the loss of your grandmother.

ButterflyFaery I'm so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family in this time of grief.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

+ Reply to Thread