+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1967Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2588733;
    YOu'd be surprised at what you can get used too. I switched to caffiene free diet coke a couple years ago and I actually prefer it now.

When going off caffiene, I bought 2, 2 liter bottles of diet coke. One in regular and one in caffiene free. I would have 1 glass of caffienated and then switch off to the caffiene free and I slowly weaned myself that way. It only took a few days and I did not have the bad headache or other effects. Same with the coffee. But decaf coffee has more caffiene than you think. I only drink decaf and I know that I can feel the caffiene buzz if I have more than 2 cups of decaf.

Good luck with your withdrawal and your endoscopy. Mine was not until 2 pm, so you know I was hungry waiting all day for that.
    That is a GREAT idea about the Diet Coke and weaning off slowly. I was almost 24 hours into no caffeine this morning, and I was getting a migraine - not just a headache . . . it was pretty bad. So I told Mr. C that I thought I was trying to do this too quickly, and I went ahead and had my two cups of morning coffee about an hour ago. It's amazing how much better it made me feel - my headache is now just a dull throb. I told him that since Diet Coke is my major vice, that maybe I would just try giving it up at first, and keep my coffee . . . but I really like your idea of even weaning off of that slowly, too.

And wow - I can't believe you had to wait until 2:00 p.m. . . . no wonder you were so hungry!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by chrelsey;2588852;
    That is a GREAT idea about the Diet Coke and weaning off slowly. I was almost 24 hours into no caffeine this morning, and I was getting a migraine - not just a headache . . . it was pretty bad. So I told Mr. C that I thought I was trying to do this too quickly, and I went ahead and had my two cups of morning coffee about an hour ago. It's amazing how much better it made me feel - my headache is now just a dull throb. I told him that since Diet Coke is my major vice, that maybe I would just try giving it up at first, and keep my coffee . . . but I really like your idea of even weaning off of that slowly, too.

And wow - I can't believe you had to wait until 2:00 p.m. . . . no wonder you were so hungry!
    I tried it cold turkey and couldn't take the headaches, so I decided that if I keep lessening the amount of caffiene slowly it would work better and it did. No headache.
    Good luck
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2588733;
    YOu'd be surprised at what you can get used too. I switched to caffiene free diet coke a couple years ago and I actually prefer it now.

When going off caffiene, I bought 2, 2 liter bottles of diet coke. One in regular and one in caffiene free. I would have 1 glass of caffienated and then switch off to the caffiene free and I slowly weaned myself that way. It only took a few days and I did not have the bad headache or other effects. Same with the coffee. But decaf coffee has more caffiene than you think. I only drink decaf and I know that I can feel the caffiene buzz if I have more than 2 cups of decaf.

Good luck with your withdrawal and your endoscopy. Mine was not until 2 pm, so you know I was hungry waiting all day for that.
    About a year ago my doctor took me off of salt and caffine because of my blood pressure.....I did pretty much the same thing you did MRD and never got a headach.

What I did: I would pour in the cup half of caffine free and half regular diet......then after a few days pour a third of caffine then two thirds caffine free....and so on. At the end i'd pour a dallop of caffine in the morning....and the rest caffine free...

I didn't think I'd ever get off of Diet Coke/Pepsi......I lived for my caffine. Now that I'm off caffine, I actually feel better and sleep better at night too. Since I was so hooked to caffine for many years, I wouldn't get a buzz off it because my adrenals were worn out...now if I drink caffine, I'm awake forever..
    Last edited by Vonna; 09-27-2007 at 03:08 PM.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

I'm always stunned when I hear the amount of pop people drink. Growing up, we were never big pop drinkers (although Quebecers do drink a lot of it) and while I get a craving once a month, it never goes beyond that. Just to say, I have a two liter bottle of Coke in my cold room that has a Santa Claus on it, which tells me it's almost a year old.

When I had to give up caffeine, I thought I'd never be able to do without my mountain dew. Now, the thought of drinking it just about makes me gag. I'm into the diet root beers and the diet oranges and the diet rites. But I also love water, too.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by chrelsey;2588699;
    Yes, he did say that I would be sedated, but it seemed to me to be more of a "drowsy" sedation, and not a full-blown "out cold" sedation. Hmmm . . . we'll see!
    Part of the effects of the medication they give you is that you won't remember anything. It will be like myrosiedog said - you'll remember being in the room with the doctor and then next thing you know you'll be in the recovery area and it will be all over. Good luck to you!

MRD

Growing up, cokes were not allowed in our house. But my mom made koolaid. I never understood why sugary koolaid was allowed when cokes were not.

I used to be stunned by how much coffee people drank, but seems like its ok to drink a lot of coffee, but not sodas. (Starbucks and the like on every corner around here).

It's just that when I drink sodas, I feel so bloated. It's not the caffeine or the sugar for me, it's the bubbles.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2589584;
    It's just that when I drink sodas, I feel so bloated. It's not the caffeine or the sugar for me, it's the bubbles.
    Funny but soda doesn't affect me that way, but fizzy water does. I cannot drink Perrier at all. I got very adept at being able to order bottled water no gas when I was overseas after having to figure out that it was the water con gas that was making me feel sick and bloated.

I've read several different places that NOTHING carbonated is good for you... diet, caffeine free or otherwise. I have one large cup of coffee in the morning and other than that I drink water or vitamin water. I try not to drink any calories if I can help it, although I do keep juice-box-size soy milk and mini cans of low-sodium V8 in my cupboard at school.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread