+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1359Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Aye, aye, aye, the state tests. I hate them too. So much of the school year is wasted on preparation for the tests. So much my children could be learning rather than going through, over and over again, the requirements for passing the state tests. I think in Texas they have talked about doing away with them. I doubt anything will come of it, but we can hope.

I actually came in here to commiserate with the other laundry-woed folk. I was having a great weekend, and was almost done with all of the laundry for the next week. I went to put away some dish towels and when I opened up the drawer the front plate came off and landed on my big toe. I've never had that happen before. My cabinets are the ones the homebuilder put in, so they're a mix of particle board and heavy wood. I've thought about replacing them but we have so many other projects that need tending to first. OUCH. At first I just thought it made a small cut. It hurt like hell and I said some naughty words and limped for a second. Then the pain really hit me and it was overwhelming. I'm still not sure what happened. I have a deep gash and my whole toe is black and blue. I hopped into the bathroom and had a little cry, which is embarassing for a woman who has given birth naturally to three babies. I cleaned myself up and bandaged it and thanked the lord that it hadn't happened to one of my kids. I would've had to take them in for stitches but an old toe like mine can just heal on its own and have a nice scar. My battle wounds are like a badge of honor now. And I can wear flip-flops to work next week. SO DOWN WITH LAUNDRY!!!
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Hey Burnbrat sorry to hear about your foot. I hope it feels better soon.
    Well my cat Critter isn't doing so great she's hasn't been eating alot lately and some how she hurt her right front paw because she's been favoring it, and my hubby is calling the vet to get an appointment for her. We both think she might have an infection because there's an odor emanating from the wound site. Why didn't we see it before? If I had played closer attention then she'd be fine.
    On top of that it's raining out so it's making me feel even more depressed.
    There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved- George Sand

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

How did our country get so hung up on standardized tests? Are they standardized with other countries? Does every single child have to pass in order to graduate? Is it hurting or helping our children learn? Does it hurt or help them to further their education? Does it hurt or help them to get a job after graduation? Do we teach to cover the stardardized test or teach with the standardized test? It seems to me as a parent that teachers are getting soooo hung up on the "test" they forget that there's more to life than a "test". And administrators need to know that there is more to life than the results of the "test". And whoever made the "test" mandatory should have to take the test her/himself!

whoever made the "test" mandatory should have to take the test her/himself!

Can one of the educators here give me an idea of how the test is structured, and what it covers? Does it ask for a regurgitation of arcane facts, or does it require some level of problem-solving skills to pass it?
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Newf, I'm not a teacher, but my ex-husband (my girls' dad) is, and he and I have had long detailed discussions about these test, the scores and what they mean for both the teachers and the schools. He's under tons of pressure, as well as having to pass that to the students. And he teaches Special Ed - his kids are ED, not Ld or MR, and no matter what their IEPs say, they still count in the total score for the school/district/etc.

I believe the test is a combination of reason/problem solving and fact recollection. It depends on the subject and grade level, but they only test for certain subjects - reading, grammar and usage, math, science... I think that's it. Maybe a social sciences/studies subject? Not sure. At eigth grade level, they then have a standardized writing test added to the line-up. This is pretty important, I've been told... my oldest is in 8th grade this year, going to a great charter middle school for advanced students, but she struggles with writing, so the teachers and her dad are already putting on the pressure and stressing how important it is to do well...

By the way, are these scores the API? My daughter's school is a national "Blue Ribbon" winner with an API of 1437, and I have NO IDEA what that means! I only know that it is the second highest score of all public middle schools in my state. I think they qualify for special funding due to this score. Is that right?

We've had standardized testing in schools in Canada for...well, a long time, because I remember taking them. As I recall, they are problem-solving and skill-testing. For instance, on the math portion, they give you one of those "The train is leaving the station at 2 pm, going 60 miles an hour..." - you know the type. For reading, there's a paragraph or short story, and the questions are structured around reading comprehension. They weren't really difficult at all, and I always assumed that they were used to ensure that kids were at least learning the minimum they needed to. It doesn't affect funding for schools, to the best of my knowledge. The structure of the tests hasn't changed either, apparently - we were at a parent-teacher meeting last week and the school principal explained the content of them, and it sounded exactly the same as I recall.

My older daughter's school also did very well on the tests (only grades 3 and 6 take them). I'm taking that to mean that the teachers are doing their job.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

My kids in BC did them as well. A portion of their grade 12 (senior year) mark is based on provincial testing, and part on their teacher's mark...for the core subjects. I always find it interesting to see school by school how far off their test marks are vs. school grades. ie. some schools seem to be tougher in assigning grades, some easier. The Fraser Institute reports are a general guide (if you take the stats with a grain of salt etc) to how well a school is performing. In Canada you can wade through them on line... Funding is not affected by results.

I remember those too and it never felt like the problem it is in the States. The teachers never complained about them and material was never based solely on the test. I feel the test is not the problem. The problem are the consequences of failing the test, ie no funding. Correct me if I'm wrong AJane and Canuck, but in Canada, if one failed the test, only that student would fail the year. It would have no other effect, right?

I don't even think they failed any students based on test performance, DR. They may have discussed individual results with the students and/or the parents. I recall my 5th grade teacher telling me that I did really well on the reading (apparently I had a first-year university reading level at that age) but my math skills were, shall we say, not quite that good. In fact, they were pretty damned bad (still are, unfortunately). But I don't remember it affecting my grade.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

No, not in grade 3 and 6, but the provincial exams are worth 50 percent of their mark in grade 12.

+ Reply to Thread