Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

I had to trudge 200 miles both ways across the tar pits

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2581753;
    I had to trudge 200 miles both ways across the tar pits

While it was snowing?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Mullet/Summer Enthusiast AshleyPSU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2581631;
    Not to be callous, but assuming a more-or-less equal distribution between grades, and three classes for each grade, that works out to about 22 kids per classroom. I was never in a class with less than 30 students until I took chemistry and physics in high school. Larger classes may not be the educational ideal, but it isn't the end of the academic world, and it certainly does not justify a 15% increase in the school's mill levy.

Newf, I disagree. 30 students in an elementary classroom nowadays is completely unacceptable. You have no idea how much pressure students, teachers, schools, and districts are under because of Bush's No Child Left Behind initiative. Standardized Testing is pretty much "do or die". If you don't make the scores that your state thinks you should, you could lose all kinds of funding for your district. Larger class sizes mean less individualized attention for each student, which could lead to drops in the almighty standardized test scores.

23+ is even a high number for K-3. Primary grades are the foundation for a student's learning career. I understand that class sizes used to be large, but there was much less emphasis on making the grade.

As far as discipline, teachers can't reprimand like they used to. You can barely even raise your voice without hearing it from the principal or getting calls from parents.

I know as a taxpayer, you don't agree with smaller class sizes, but unfortunately in this day and age it is absolutely necessary.
    Wake up and be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;2581959;
    23+ is even a high number for K-3. Primary grades are the foundation for a student's learning career. I understand that class sizes used to be large, but there was much less emphasis on making the grade.
    There were also just a LOT more children. I was at the very tail end of the baby boomers and my schools were bursting with kids. Since then, several of the schools in my district have closed because there were not enough students to even keep the schools open. I'm sure the budgets were stretched to the limit as well. I agree with you on class size. Large classes may be fine for some kids, but it's easy for others to get lost in a huge class and just fall through the cracks.

My hat is off to you and all teachers You do one of the world's toughest - and I think, most undervalued - jobs....and one of the most important ones too!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

A huge difference between the 30-kid classroom days and now (besides the no-child-left-behind and discipline options) is that now we have inclusion. I have every child in the school pass through my room at some point... children with autism, children with physical disabilities, children with so many different problems that never saw a regular classroom back then. ADHD is a much bigger problem than it used to be. And I don't know about your schools, but when I was in elementary school with 2 classes per grade level, there was a "dumb" class and a "smart" class. I really feel for the children in the high intelligence range these days. There is no funding for them and no accomodations made to meet their needs.
    Count your blessings!

We had 3 levels when I was in grade school. It pretty much continued throughout the rest of our years. Because I had moved to the town right before third grade, they put me into the lowest level. I remember the third grade teacher used to yell at me for reading during math class. I guess I was bored. We had a class for all special ed. In jr high, our classes were about 35 students per class. Now, the town has 2 elem, 2 jr/middle schls, and a huge high school. We used the pterydactals for bussing our students. We were lucky to only have one tar pit. One family had a tyrannasaurus for transportation, but one day they just disappeared.

Put this under the file - What is it with people these days?

I have a very nice 25 year old son. He has been focusing on college and moved last month to start working on his PhD in chemistry - he plans on becoming a teaching professor.
    so, after he moved, he also broke up with the young woman he has been dating for about 7 months. He wanted to focus on school and his career - and didn't see having a long relationship with this girl (she is 19).
    Perfectly normal life decision, right?

so why would this girl and her mother go to his new college and trash his name and then file a civil suit against him???? For stalking? he left the area and quit responding to their phone calls and emails. who the heck is stalking who?

It's frustrating, because now he has to take breaks from his school/work to come back home and argue this case.

It's not a relationship - deal with it! You can't even break up with someone anymore without it going to court????

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2582163;
    Put this under the file - What is it with people these days?

I have a very nice 25 year old son. He has been focusing on college and moved last month to start working on his PhD in chemistry - he plans on becoming a teaching professor.
    so, after he moved, he also broke up with the young woman he has been dating for about 7 months. He wanted to focus on school and his career - and didn't see having a long relationship with this girl (she is 19).
    Perfectly normal life decision, right?

so why would this girl and her mother go to his new college and trash his name and then file a civil suit against him???? For stalking? he left the area and quit responding to their phone calls and emails. who the heck is stalking who?

It's frustrating, because now he has to take breaks from his school/work to come back home and argue this case.

It's not a relationship - deal with it! You can't even break up with someone anymore without it going to court????
    Oh, that is ridiculous. I feel for your son. He's obviously a grown, mature person trying to focus on his education and having to put up with this and since when do the mothers get involved? I just went through my daughter's boyfriends mother calling her to yell at her about something that my daughter had NOTHING to do with. I think the parents need to stay out of it and this girl needs to grow up and deal.

I hope your son gets this resolved soon.

As for No Child Left Behind. Don't get me started. I think that there are always going to be children left behind. That's just the way it is. Human nature, or whatever, some children are just not going to pass those standards for whatever reason and its wishful thinking to expect every school to have EVERY student learning on grade level when that is just not possible for many reasons.

I also think that schools teach the test now and not the other way around. A test should reflect the students knowledge and that knowledge should be a relection of the teacher and the school. Not that they've spent all year learning exactly what the test requires. The focus is shifting away from an all around good education to learning a couple of basic concepts in order to be able to pass a state or federal test. And I do not think schools that don't perform should lose funds. If anything, they need MORE funding to help the kids they have.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Now see, MRD... that is just common sense, isn't it? In our state if you're "underperforming" on the state test, the state threatens to come in and take over the school ousting whomever they deem to be lacking, tenure or no. Like teachers don't already have enough stress. We have a chart of expected yearly inmprovements for the state test up to 100% passing in several years. The first year or two it was easy to meet the those expectations with extra time and elbow grease and focusing on the test requirements. Now we're losing ground because the scale is unrealistic and everyone is getting anxious again.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2582930;
    Now see, MRD... that is just common sense, isn't it? In our state if you're "underperforming" on the state test, the state threatens to come in and take over the school ousting whomever they deem to be lacking, tenure or no. Like teachers don't already have enough stress. We have a chart of expected yearly inmprovements for the state test up to 100% passing in several years. The first year or two it was easy to meet the those expectations with extra time and elbow grease and focusing on the test requirements. Now we're losing ground because the scale is unrealistic and everyone is getting anxious again.
    They do that here and in Florida too where the government will come in and take over if the school doesn't perform. I have so many friends that are teachers are they are all unhappy. Some have taught for a long time and are just waiting to retire because they feel their hands are tied from actually teaching like they used too and seeing results like they used too. The ones that are fairly new teachers are disillusioned because they truly enjoy teaching and the kids, but the state and federal mandates are making their jobs miserable and they have either quit teaching and gone into another field or are hoping to quit and go into something else. It's really sad that the state of our education system is just not very good on the whole and the improvements trying to fix it aren't really working.

I have one friend that teaches in a rural, agriculturely based school. She told me over 50% of her students are immigrants and that a lot follow the crops, so that she doesn't even have a full class for several months out of the year. Most don't speak English and yet they still have to take the state tests and they are not capable at their level of English or preparation (haven't been in class long enough) and her school is one of those facing governmental takeover. She said: Fine, let them come in and let them see if they can do better.
    Sad, sad, sad commentary on the whole country. Yeah, there are some good schools out there, but on the whole, the education system needs to be worked on in my opinion and the one thing that needs to be tossed out and reworked is No Child Left Behind. Unrealistic expectations and underfunded.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread