+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1619Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

I'm steaming like a fresh buffalo turd on a frosty morning. I got a mailing from the local school district yesterday--the one that gets HALF of my property taxes. They are projecting a growth of 1400 students over the next six years, and want to piss away $75 million (maybe $85 million, the numbers are a little vague) to build a new high school, middle school, and elementary school Goddamn district has been on a non-stop building binge for at least a decade--at least two elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school, AND they are currently building two more schools (all of which are considerably more plush than any school that I attended.) I guess that it never occurred to them to expand existing facilities.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2579819;
    I'm steaming like a fresh buffalo turd on a frosty morning. I got a mailing from the local school district yesterday--the one that gets HALF of my property taxes. They are projecting a growth of 1400 students over the next six years, and want to piss away $75 million (maybe $85 million, the numbers are a little vague) to build a new high school, middle school, and elementary school Goddamn district has been on a non-stop building binge for at least a decade--at least two elementary schools, a middle school, and a high school, AND they are currently building two more schools (all of which are considerably more plush than any school that I attended.) I guess that it never occurred to them to expand existing facilities.
    You are so colorful Newf.

When we lived in Florida, our town was a really fast growing area. While we lived there 8 years, they went from only 2 elementary schools to 4 and a middle and high school were added (previously middle and highschool students were bused to the next town over for school). The highschool was also added on to. Now they are in the works to build yet another middle school and possibly a 5th elementary school and maybe even a new high school.

My probelm was with the fact that some law somewhere, prevented them from builing a big enough school. They could only build the school for 10% over the current student population at the time the building was given the go ahead. Well by the time the schools opened, they were WAY past that extra 10% and were already putting portables on the BRAND NEW SCHOOL grounds. Since they knew growth was exploding, then why couldn't they build a bigger school in the first place and not open it already overcrowded, with plans to build ANOTHER school that would take another 2-3 years to get built!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Ok. I need to blow off steam now.

back on 9/8 we moved my 'home office' from the other side of the twin home to a bedroom in MY SIDE of our twin home.
    2 addresses, 2 sets of phone service.
    on 9/10, I contacted the phone company about transferring a phone number from the old office to the new office - one phone number, transfer from one address to the other.
    after 4 hours and dealing with about 5 departments, they finally got a work order created and it could be done in 72 hours. ok.
    tuesday (9/18) 8 days later, they call and say they will have the tech out to change the number on Thursday (9/20). ok.
    today (9/21) - nothing has changed, I call back. No one has any record, anywhere, of the work order on any of my numbers.

start over -
    3 hours later and 4 departments later (it got easier, didn't it) - I have a new work order, and they will make the change next Wednesay (9/26).

and they want to offer me MORE FRIGGIN SERVICES with them.
    No thank you.

and besides this - I am also still waiting on the death certificates for my mother - 3 weeks later. the doctors office had problems with the name, then they lost the forms, then they didn't fill it out properly.
    Nothing can be done anywhere until we get these stupid forms.

I am in need of a night out tonight, with liquor.

/rant

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2581318;
    Ok. I need to blow off steam now.

back on 9/8 we moved my 'home office' from the other side of the twin home to a bedroom in MY SIDE of our twin home.
    2 addresses, 2 sets of phone service.
    on 9/10, I contacted the phone company about transferring a phone number from the old office to the new office - one phone number, transfer from one address to the other.
    after 4 hours and dealing with about 5 departments, they finally got a work order created and it could be done in 72 hours. ok.
    tuesday (9/18) 8 days later, they call and say they will have the tech out to change the number on Thursday (9/20). ok.
    today (9/21) - nothing has changed, I call back. No one has any record, anywhere, of the work order on any of my numbers.

start over -
    3 hours later and 4 departments later (it got easier, didn't it) - I have a new work order, and they will make the change next Wednesay (9/26).

and they want to offer me MORE FRIGGIN SERVICES with them.
    No thank you.

and besides this - I am also still waiting on the death certificates for my mother - 3 weeks later. the doctors office had problems with the name, then they lost the forms, then they didn't fill it out properly.
    Nothing can be done anywhere until we get these stupid forms.

I am in need of a night out tonight, with liquor.

/rant
    I hope you get your night out.

Doesn't it just seem that no one can do what they are supposed to do when they are supposed to do it? It's like no one cares at all anymore to get it done in a reasonable amount of time or to do it right the first time.

I feel your pain.

But Newf, if you expand existing schools, then you either end up with kids in portables (which are definitely not plush - and I don't know what the weather is like in your neck of the woods, but here, it means the kids have to don a ton of clothing to go out in the winter to just get to the gym, music room, etc.), or you end up having to close a school to do renovation work. Then the school board has to spend money bussing kids to other schools, which are probably already overcrowded. And often, the schools they get bussed to are old and falling apart - I used to work for a school board and I had teachers tell me that they had ceilings literally falling apart on their classes. It's really, really hard for older schools to get money for repairs.

An influx of 1400 kids is HUGE. We have at least six elementary schools in our neighbourhood that my kids could attend (keeping in mind that we have two school boards here, one public and one Catholic, and you can choose to send your child to a secular or non-secular school), and the one my oldest goes to has 470 kids (K-6). She's in one of three grade 3 classes, and all the grade 5 & 6 kids, along with one of the three grade 4 classes, are in portables. We're in an older area, but the lack of schools in newer developments (our city is experiencing a huge housing boom) mean the kids have to be bussed in to our schools, and there you have the overcrowding. I would love it if they would build some more schools in the new areas.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

But Newf, if you expand existing schools, then you either end up with kids in portables . . . or you end up having to close a school to do renovation work.
    This has not been my experience. My high school expanded my senior year, and the only work that they would not do with students present was to lower steel beams into a courtyard. They worked around us, we learned around them (we learned a lot when the beams didn't fit properly ). More recently, the school district adjacent to the one reaming me just finished renovation on most of their buildings (thank God I didn't help pay for that--it was over a quarter-billion dollars ). As much work as possible was done during the summer, but work went on during the school year, too. Life goes on. Kids learn, even if the environment isn't perfect.

. . . the one my oldest goes to has 470 kids (K-6).
    Not to be callous, but assuming a more-or-less equal distribution between grades, and three classes for each grade, that works out to about 22 kids per classroom. I was never in a class with less than 30 students until I took chemistry and physics in high school. Larger classes may not be the educational ideal, but it isn't the end of the academic world, and it certainly does not justify a 15% increase in the school's mill levy.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I'm sorry to hear of everyone's troubles. There's certainly a plethora of them every day, everywhere in the world. Hugs to you all

I think I'll watch my Secret CD to stay positive. Oh, I don't have it. My sinister does.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2581631;
    This has not been my experience. My high school expanded my senior year, and the only work that they would not do with students present was to lower steel beams into a courtyard. They worked around us, we learned around them (we learned a lot when the beams didn't fit properly ). More recently, the school district adjacent to the one reaming me just finished renovation on most of their buildings (thank God I didn't help pay for that--it was over a quarter-billion dollars ). As much work as possible was done during the summer, but work went on during the school year, too. Life goes on. Kids learn, even if the environment isn't perfect.

Not to be callous, but assuming a more-or-less equal distribution between grades, and three classes for each grade, that works out to about 22 kids per classroom. I was never in a class with less than 30 students until I took chemistry and physics in high school. Larger classes may not be the educational ideal, but it isn't the end of the academic world, and it certainly does not justify a 15% increase in the school's mill levy.

Wow, I did not know they could expand caves like that.
    Did your high school have parking for the dinosaurs your rode to school too?
    Mine did. And the Seniors got to park their dinosaurs closest, while the rest of us had to trudge through weeds and a vacant lot.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2581734;
    Wow, I did not know they could expand caves like that.
    Did your high school have parking for the dinosaurs your rode to school too?
    Mine did. And the Seniors got to park their dinosaurs closest, while the rest of us had to trudge through weeds and a vacant lot.
    ROTFLMAO Hey at least YOU had dinosaurs I had to TRUDGE 100 miles to get to my Cave School and that was in the snow
    There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved- George Sand

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Shaybo;2581741;
    ROTFLMAO Hey at least YOU had dinosaurs I had to TRUDGE 100 miles to get to my Cave School and that was in the snow
    uphill both ways?

+ Reply to Thread