+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1684Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Darned if a burglar didn't steal the monitor the very morning that you were to have lunch with Great Aunt Ruth Thank goodness nothing else was taken. The police, who you called with the 911 phone (lucky you had it, too bad you left it in the cab because you were so upset this morning), have the mailman in custody, but the monitor will be held as evidence.

Too over the top?
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

A while ago I mentionned how I was redoing my washroom and was overjoyed. Well, three weeks into it, and my washroom is almost done. While I love the way it's coming along, I cannot wait to get the contractor and his tools out of the house. Our living space and rooms are all on the same floor (we have a basement bathroom with a shower) and living around his tools and the daily mess is exhausting. The first thing I do when I come home is vacuum most of the dust away, but at this point it's on walls and doors and every single surface of the house. I'm not looking forward to cleaning it all up for good. What's more exhausting is that my son, like every normal 3 year old is very very interested by all of the tools. It's a constant battle keeping him away from them (he spent a lot of time in the corner). Some evenings, we just chose to grab a quick bite somewhere then shop until it's A.'s bedtime.

Of course, we get little time to relax after the washroom is done (this Wednesday). We then have to start shopping and painting the room for the baby to come.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2536364;
    Darned if a burglar didn't steal the monitor the very morning that you were to have lunch with Great Aunt Ruth Thank goodness nothing else was taken. The police, who you called with the 911 phone (lucky you had it, too bad you left it in the cab because you were so upset this morning), have the mailman in custody, but the monitor will be held as evidence.

Too over the top?
    This is kind of funny. I called my cousin about the problem. She actually has an extra monitor that her ex boyfriend left at her house. We will just put it in a box and I will dump in Aunt Ruth's backseat. She will never know. If she quetions, always use the senile/dementia card. Cousin Margie is genius!
    Last edited by snarkattack; 08-20-2007 at 07:52 PM.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I was going to suggest that you dropped it on your way to visit with great Aunt Ruth but glad to see you had an alternate plan!

Maybe great Aunt Ruth will leave you her fortune since you are nice to her!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2536396;
    I was going to suggest that you dropped it on your way to visit with great Aunt Ruth but glad to see you had an alternate plan!

Maybe great Aunt Ruth will leave you her fortune since you are nice to her!
    no, not possible. My life reads like a bad sitcom. When she passes I will find she decided to give it all to charity or something like that. All kidding aside, I truly hope Aunt Ruth stays around for awhile. Sometimes I get bummed knowing that she is getting up there. She has a really good heart and likes to do fun things. Just very difficult and set in her ways.

Most of my relatives don't know I am gay, if they do they aren't very accepting. Aunt Ruth wouldn't care. I could have a heart to heart with her and be at total ease. Just not sure if I want to go there yet. She has truly been my favorite. Aunt Ruth always likes an underdog. Maybe because her life didn't turn out exactly like she wanted it to. When I did see her on a regular basis, we would go out to dinner every other week. You might think its hard for a 27 year old to relate to an 84 year old, but we never have a problem.

The only reason I stopped talking to her had more to do with me then her, because I hadn't progressed in my life like I wanted to and had little to show her. I told her that when she called. I also told her I think of her everyday and I do. She cares a lot about me.

I'm excited about going to dinner with her actually. I have missed her for the last couple months.
    Last edited by snarkattack; 08-20-2007 at 08:53 PM.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

snarkattack...I actually was quite touched by what you wrote above about your Aunt Ruth. It sounds like she wouldn't mind at all if you came out to her....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD

Snark, I can relate somewhat. I had a great aunt that had never had kids and was a tad mean spirited, but with a big heart if that makes sense. But I always got along fairly well with her most times.

My dad's sister is my only living aunt at the moment and she's 85 and has gotten a touch mean in her advancing age. But she is funny because the way she complains about things has me just rolling.

I don't think that an age difference in relatives means a thing. Even if they are a completely different generation, its nice to know you still have a family connection and I for one love to hear about the "olden" days.

Enjoy your lunch with Aunt Ruth and glad you got the monitor situation straightened out. Next time tell her you donated it to a program for the disadvantaged and do it. Many times they can take old computer equipment and fix it.

=================
    Well as many of you know this has been a difficult year for me. Health problems galore and on top of that, every single thing we've owned has broken. I need someone to take the curse off of this house/family.
    So far this summer we have had to replace the washing machine and now the refrigerator. Luckily we found a great used appliance store that reconditions appliances and both the washer nad refrigerator are like new and were very, very inexpensive and do some with a limited warranty. The fridge was a HUGE project. In order to get it in the house, we had to take off the doors to it, the back door, move the metal shelves of canned goods in the mud room and take off the mudroom door and remove the baseboard where the fridge is to go. We spent 9 hours on this project on Sat. and I was beat and spent most of Sun. in bed. We elected to clean the fridge ourselves as well, I didn't want someone else's germs in it. So we cleaned it inside and out first before we had to start taking doors off to get it inside. It's great now and so nice not to have to unlatch the hook and eye we had to install on the door of the other fridge to keep the door shut.

Now the ac is leaking water in the house and the hallway has become a swamp. We have been waiting for over a week for the ac guy. At least this is one the landlord has to fix, but its still a problem. We borrowed a wet/dry vac and have to use it daily to suck up the swamp. Hubby has checked everything he knows how to check to see if he can fix the problem, but it looks like it was an installation problem and we are now having a major problem with the ac as it has been running like crazy the last couple weeks due to 106 temps, hence the leakage problem now.

We've had to have the car ac fixed, replace the microwave and my necklace my husband gave me on our first anniversary the chain broke. My daughter broke some antique teacups by knocking over the shelf they were sitting on. My favorite pampered chef pan that I've had for years and got it all seasoned up good broke.

It's been constant. I NEED A BREAK from this terrible curse of ill health and breakage.

Sorry to whine. But I am just over it. I guess the good thing is that now that everything has broken and been replaced, we may be good for a while. I just hope the dryer doesn't hear me say that.

Calgon, take me away, far, far away.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I don't mean to make light of your problems, MRD. But look at it this way. Everything now is either new or repaired, so you should be in good shape for a while!

FORT Fan

Yeah, Aunt Ruth is a real trip. I think its funnier when old people get mean. Because for some reason I can't take it as seriously. Like she talks trash about my grandma constantly and then she always says she shouldn't be talking like this to me. She says I am too young to be hearing things like this. Yet she still trashes my grandma for 2 hours straight. I kind of like hearing it, its rather funny.

She admited a crush on Anderson Cooper to me. I am more a Thomas Roberts kind of guy

She thinks shes prim and proper, but for from it. Its fun to let her think that way. Then one night she said to me I could really go for a cigrette?? I said Aunt Ruth are you serious?? Like I could not believe this came out of Aunt Ruth's mouth. She stopped smoking YEARSSSSSSSS ago, but she said you really never totally lose the craving.

I have since questioned her about this, just checking if she was getting senile. The story still stands around smoking. Everytime I talk to her says she could go for a smoke(my wording not Auth Ruths)

My grandfather died of Altheizmers(sp) a few years ago(her brother) It was very sad. Because he went downhill fast. She tells me how she can't stand Nancy Reagan, and how she just puts on a good act. She told me the Supreme court judge who left the bench a few years ago was the deal and truly loves her husband. I guess her husband has Altheizmers to. Who puts time in to wonder if Nancy Reagan was phony??. I personally think her and Ronald were the real deal.

I could truly cry about my life, but I rather just laugh.
    Last edited by snarkattack; 08-21-2007 at 10:27 AM.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by snarkattack;2537561;
    Yeah, Aunt Ruth is a real trip. I think its funnier when old people get mean. Because for some reason I can't take it as seriously. Like she talks trash about my grandma constantly and then she always says she shouldn't be talking like this to me. She says I am too young to be hearing things like this. Yet she still trashes my grandma for 2 hours straight. I kind of like hearing it, its rather funny.

She admited a crush on Anderson Cooper to me. I am more a Thomas Roberts kind of guy

She thinks shes prim and proper, but for from it. Its fun to let her think that way. Then one night she said to me I could really go for a cigrette?? I said Aunt Ruth are you serious?? Like I could not believe this came out of Aunt Ruth's mouth. She stopped smoking YEARSSSSSSSS ago, but she said you really never totally lose the craving.

I have since questioned her about this, just checking if she was getting senile. The story still stands around smoking. Everytime I talk to her says she could go for a smoke(my wording not Auth Ruths)

My grandfather died of Altheizmers(sp) a few years ago(her brother) It was very sad. Because he went downhill fast. She tells me how she can't stand Nancy Reagan, and how she just puts on a good act. She told me the Supreme court judge who left the bench a few years ago was the deal and truly loves her husband. I guess her husband has Altheizmers to. Who puts time in to wonder if Nancy Reagan was phony??. I personally think her and Ronald were the real deal.

I could truly cry about my life, but I rather just laugh.
    Family members can be funny. My 85 year old aunt is like that. She loves Barrack Obama but hates other African-Americans. I just let it go in one ear and out the other. But she has some opinions and I just have to laugh. I mean, she's completely serious, but they are just funny to me.

I've always said that I can't wait to get old so I can say any old thing and everyone will just chalk it up to "she's just old".

Scoutmom, yep, everything should be good for a while. I hope. Fingers crossed anyway. And I have to laugh or I'd cry. I don't think we've ever had such a run of bad luck like we've had lately. I mean, in the past year, we've moved, my husband lost his job, I've been seriously ill and everything has broken. I can't even say I still have my health.
    But I'm trying to remain positive through it all. I have too. What's the other choice? I refuse to get all depressed. That does no good.
    And I have plenty of animal therapy which is always a good thing. 3 doggies that love and comfort me. Can't get any better than that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread