+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Talk about your troubles

There's some stuff stronger than calamine lotion out there, newf--go get it! Been there, done that. Just awful in the summer.

Newf: I've never had to deal with poison ivy...it sounds horrible! I do hope it heals well with the lotion! How nice of you not to have your ex get it too! Get well soon!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

lei
    FORT Fogey

My sympathies too, Newf. I got it as a child and it was all over my body. Horrible. I hope it passes quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2485702;
    This isn't nearly as serious as some troubles on the boards, but right now I have poison ivy and it's driving me nuts. I have a tiny patch by the corner of my left eye that isn't too bad unless I get sweat in it (hard to avoid in Kansas in the summertime); the big patch starts about 4" above my wrist and extends into my fingers, especially between the ring and middle fingers. I have a couple of dusky maroon patches where I've rubbed too hard and ruptured blood vessels. The only thing that kills the itch for any length of time is to hold the affected area under very hot water (as hot as I can stand.)

The good news is that the poison ivy takes my mind off of the 43,558 (estimated) chigger bites on my legs.

PS I know what poison ivy looks like, I knew I was in it, but I didn't have a choice. Well, I did have one choice, I could have sent my business partner/ex-wife into it, but chivalry is not dead.
    Here's a quick reference guide for the treatment of poison ivy. I can't imagine the hot water making it feel better (that usually increases itching), but you have to do what works for you. That itching is miserable, so hope it goes away soon.

Self-Care

Once a rash has broken out, the following may help to soothe itching and swelling:

* Over-the-counter high-potency corticosteroid creams, such as: hydrocortisone, especially within the first few days
    * Calamine lotion
    * Creams containing menthol, such as Sarna
    * Oral antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl, others), which may also help you sleep better
    * Cool-water tub soaks with over-the-counter colloidal oatmeal (Aveeno)
    * Cool, wet compresses for 15 to 30 minutes several times a day

Poison ivy rash - MayoClinic.com

One of my managers went camping this weekend and ended up with a bad case of poison ivy. She went to the doctor today and is excused from work for 3 days. She stopped by to bring in her excuse and for me to see her. Her face is so swollen she looked like she had just gone 15 rounds with Muhammad Ali.

Thanks, ShrinkingViolet, for all of the remedies. Truth be told, the very hot water really does work best for me (Benadryl would probably work better, but it knocks me on my butt.) I am pleased to report that I can now keep from scratching, so I expect the rash will start to recede. I stopped by the client's office today to drop off the survey results, and the first thing he asked was "What the hell happened to your hand??"

The worst case that I ever saw was an employee of mine about 15 years ago. We both knew that he was in it, but what we didn't know was just how sensitive he was to the oil. He ended up in the VA hospital absolutely covered with the rash, had to take cortizone shots, and I don't know what all. After two weeks, he came into the office to fill out some worker's comp forms, and still looked like hell. Poor guy had to wear white cotton gloves to keep his fingers from sticking together. He came back to work a week after that, but quit after the first day back--he said that he saw poison ivy everywhere he looked, and didn't want a repeat performance.

Odd, but true, fact--one of the worst cases that I came down with was in January.

Funny story about poison ivy--my very first year in the field, I was looked upon as a dumb-ass college guy with lots of book learning and no practical knowledge. My crew chief, about 100' away, wanted me to set a reference nail in a cottonwood tree, and I asked him what I should do about all that stuff growing on the side of the tree. He glanced up, and said "Tear it off with your teeth." He about messed himself when I stuck my face in the green growies:
    Him: "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING??!?"
    Me: "Well, you said . . ."
    Him: "DON'T EVER MESS WITH POISON IVY!!"
    Me: "The joke's on you. It's Virginia creeper. I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid."
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Newf - I'm glad the poison ivy event is starting to recede. I've never had it, but I can't imagine how bad the itching must be. I can't even stand the itching from mosquito bites!

My news - I went to the doctor last night because my knee was all swollen up. He pushed, pulled, bent, unbent, pushed and bent, pulled and unbent it and finally mentioned two big long names followed by "tear", and said he didn't find any evidence of either of them. (Thank God, because I'd never be able to tell anybody what I had!). He said he doesn't think it's a cartiledge tear, but it could possibly be, or it could be arthritis. So I need to have an x-ray and then he'll probably aspirate the fluid that's in there. (It's that aspirate part that I don't like!)

Well, I guess I've had 52 good years before the old body started going to pot.

In the "it could be worse" catagory - I had a boyfriend who went off into the woods to pee and somehow got poison ivy on his hands before doing so. I'll let you imagine the rest, but it was pure torture.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Gut, that reminds me of my senior skip day where we all went to a park and a few of us canoed to an island. We all had been friends for years and so sat down in a circle and talked for hours. Needless to say, we ended up sitting in a poison ivy patch and didn't realize it. Almost all of us ended up scratching in the most unbelievable places! My dad, who was a town dr, came home laughing about those silly kids who kept coming in w/poison ivy-he wasn't laughing when he realized that I had it too. In fact, I got grounded my senior year for skipping the day before the last day of high school! And the p.i. lasted for a while!

lei
    FORT Fogey

ScoutMom - Ouch! and I do appreciate about stuff starting to fall apart I hope you're able to treat this well, whatever it is. And for what it's worth, after being in lots of pain from arthritis and bursitis, I have it almost completely under control by adding large doses (6000mg/day) of omega-3 along with increasing my daily yoga. Just a thought. I do hope you feel better soon, in any case.

Back to the poison ivy - When I mentioned that I got it everywhere, I meant it. I feel for those of you who can relate!

+ Reply to Thread