+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1981Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Talk about your troubles

Catmom, I'm sorry to hear about your mom.

catmom3, I'm sorry to hear about your mother. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Dags, $3,000? I thought they were $1,000 which is still horrendous, but good jeez, $3,000 is simply outrageous.

Catmom, I'm so sorry to hear of your mother's passing. It doesn't seem to matter how old they are (or we are for that matter) when our mom's pass, we miss them terribly. I will be praying for you and your father, and hoping that your good memories will sustain you.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Catmom, please accept my condolences on the loss of your mom.

-------------------------

Dagwood, my now 16-year-old daughter had a bike accident when she was 11; we are coming up on her anniversary at the end of this month. At the time, she lost one of her permanent front teeth and after finally seeing the oral surgeon, she lost another one of her front teeth. He reimplanted four more of her top teeth. Eventually she lost two of the ones that were reimplanted. She is now at the age where we can finally start looking at getting dental implants. She will have two, where her lateral incisors were and a bridge will go between them where the centrals used to be. Then she will get the two canines crowned, as well as two baby molars next to these canines. She has no permanent teeth where the baby molars are and these crowns will make those teeth line up better with the permanent ones. We are looking at over $16,000 when all is said and done, and have no idea how much, if any, insurance will cover. Either way, we are going to have this done as I just can't see her going through life with a partial denture....not at this age. She's been wearing a retainer, with fake teeth on it, since a few months after her accident.

---------------------
    My tale of woe for today.....

Today my husband, daughter and I went up to the lake to visit my parents. My son and his daughter also went up to the lake. We took Dad out in the boat and the boat ran across an unmarked sandbar and the propeller broke. The sheriff's boat came and took Dad, me and my granddaughter back to his dock at a marina we have never been to before. My daughter and son were near us on the lake on their jetskis, so my husband went back to our beach with them. Then hubby and kids told mom that he was going to go to that marina to pick us up.

This lake is huge, BTW, and we were a good 15-20 miles away from my parents' place.

Once the sheriff got us to his marina, he called my mother and told her we were fine and where we were. For whatever reason, mom took off in her car (she has not driven alone in months!) and went looking for us. Meanwhile my husband and son came to pick us up. My daughter promptly fell asleep after she got back to the house and my son thought that his daughter would be upset if he didn't come to pick her up.

We get back to the cottage, which took a good half an hour, only to find my mom and the car gone. Holy carp!

Hubby and I were frantic but thankfully found mom at about 8:15....just before it was getting dark. We had been looking for her for almost two hours! She had gotten lost, drove miles out of the way before finally stopping at a mini mart and some nice people told her to follow them to this marina. Turns out she had no ID on her, no money, left one of her hearing aids back at the house and the cell phone was in the glove compartment and was not turned on! And she couldn't remember the phone number at the cottage! When I think about the "what ifs" I freak out. We are now thinking of getting them some sort of GPS system, and teaching them how important it is to know how to use the damn cell phone, etc. Since we got home tonight, I typed up a list of pertinent info which will be placed in the glove box.

I don't know why she took off but it scared me to death. I am really afraid that she's heading for Alzheimer's since this is just one of many strange things she has been doing over the last few months. When we finally got home tonight, it was after 10:30, so I called up one of my sisters who lives in Seattle! I knew she would still be up! Sis thinks I should talk to my dad about possibly calling my mom's primary physician and mentioning some of the odd things my mom has been doing. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I never EVER want to go through something like this again.

Anyone out there ever deal with aging parents and/or Alzheimers???? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

lei
    FORT Fogey

catmom - I'm so very sorry to hear about your mom. I lost mine about ten years ago and there's still times that are really hard, though I also always feel her with me, just as your mom will always be with you, and in everyone she ever touched. My deep condolences to you and your dad.

MamaC - I'm glad you found your mom, but I totally understand your concern. I haven't quite been through it, though I do let my dad know when he has "off" moments, and I would definitely talk to other loved ones and a physician as you see fit. Good luck to you.

Hard night at the FORT. May you both rest well tonight.

Catmom3, I'm sorry to hear about your Mom.
    MamaC, that's awful. Hopefully your Mom really did just get lost; that could be the case.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Catmom3 - Our prayers and thoughts go out to you on your Mothers passing.

MamaC- I don't have that happening with my parents yet, but I do work for a healthcare facility, and even though I am not on the nursing side, we are required to attend different lectures etc., and yes I would definitely bring it to your Mothers primary physicians attention. As for the stepping on toes, if the Doctor is a good one you should be able to call her/him and tell him your concerns and it won't even come out that you called.
    Last edited by just1paul; 07-15-2007 at 08:32 AM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Catmom, I am so sorry. I will keep your family, especially your father, in my prayers.

MamaC, how scary. I am so glad you found her.

Roses, the implant itself is $1525, the rest is the new crown and my share that the insurance won't cover. My insurance doesn't cover the implant at all, plus all this is going to quickly put me at my $1000 yearly maximum. Yeah, my dental insurance sucks the big one.
    Last edited by dagwood; 07-15-2007 at 10:42 AM.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Thank you for all the kind thoughts and prayers.

This is really blow for my family. I know that Mom lived a good and long life. The horrible thing is, we always expected Dad to go first. Even he expected it because he has several age related health issues. My Mom was in much better health and Dad told me a year ago that she was the reason he was doing as well as he was.

I passed the ambulance on the way to the house yesterday and when I got there my Dad was in the kitchen with the most lost look on his face. I was looking at a lost little old man for the first time in my life and he was my Father. I just can't lose him too. I couldn't take it.

Today we start the funeral arrangements and my heart is sure to hurt even more.

Thanks for listening and Please keep us in your prayers.
    Finally, after 22 years I got my honeymoon. Niagara Falls in February. Whats next the beach in December?

Katgib: I am so very sorry to hear of your Mom's passing. I cannot bear to even think of losing one of my parents. I'm sorry your Dad has to go through this. Sixty-six years is a very long time together! I'm sure they have many happy memories. My heart goes out to you and your family. .

MamaC: That is scary about losing your Mom! I'm glad it turned out ok and she was safe. I'd maybe make a list of odd things she's been doing and talk to her doctor. Hopefully, it's just old age and not something like Alzheimers. Best wishes for you !

lei: Thank you! The Tiger ice cream helped a lot!
    -----------------
    I saw a story about my ex's nephew. He was arrest for molesting a little girl a year ago but they had to let him go as the Crown Prosecuter said there wasn't enough to get him in court on a trial. The neighborhood was incensed to say the least.

Well, I guess the police have been tracking him for a year or so and they just arrested him again. This time on 12 counts of a variety of charges against 2 little girls. It's horrible. He deserves to be in jail and to get some kind of counselling. This was a great kid who became very troubled around grade 8. Since molesters usually have been molested themself, I can't help but think he was as well. And I feel for the two families who had to have this happen in order to have the court system work. Very sad for everyone.
    Last edited by misskitty; 07-15-2007 at 12:05 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread