+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1560Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

It seems no one has quite the same experience when they get the wisdom teeth out. I had to have mine out at 15; the oral surgeon got them out before they ever came through the gum, because the dentist could see that if they were allowed to come in, they would come in crooked, while the rest of my teeth were straight. So it would have pushed all my teeth out of place, and I would have had to have braces.
    I don't recall it being very bad-- a day or so of swelling was about all.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid;2472329;
    I also had all 4 of mine out (they were impacted) around the same age also under general anesthetic, and the only problem I had afterward were 'dry sockets.' Not fun, and certainly ask your surgeon about this because I didn't know anything about them and suffered over a weekend needlessly (I thought everyone hurt that bad). Once they treated my sockets, I felt so much better. Like canuck says, the discomfort doesn't last long. Good luck, sweetie.

I had mine out in my 20s and the dentist gave me Amoxicillian to prevent the "dry socket". I had no discomfort.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I've posted my wisdom teeth story before, but I had one come in with each pregnancy. Two of them had complications - one had roots that curved under the bone, had to be sawed (sawn?) into pieces and the roots left in which a couple years later pushed up through and had to be removed. Infections both times. Yuck!
    Count your blessings!

Thank you for the suggestions about the camera memory card! I did take a few pictures since, because I thought they were lost, but I'll see if they can recover any. I may have to wait a day or two by the time I get to it.

I'm skipping the news and trying to let all that grief flow out of me. I guess with the event with Bambi, my neighbor moving out and now my other neighbor putting up her house for sale, I'm just kinda sad.

I think I'll go and get some ice cream today! That should cheer me up...Tiger Tiger.

Katgib: I would just get those wisdom teeth outta there! Then you know they won't ever cause you problems later. I got all 3 of mine out while under an anaesthetic. (I wasn't smart enough to have 4). But my problem was it took me twice as long to wake up than all the other patients. Some cold cloths and painkillers did the trick. I had to have those teeth removed. I had spent 3 years with braces and was not going to let them ruin all that work.

Best of luck to you! Make sure you have someone to take you and come and pick you up. Also to help with your family the first day or so.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2472308;
    Kat..are they the top wisdom teeth or the bottom two?

!

All four of them. Unlike MRD...I do have a big mouth!

Actually, I had gaps between my teeth before my wisdom teeth came in. They pushed them altogether. I get asked all the time if I ever had braces.. Nope. My dentist can't remove them because of how deep the roots are. I have to have surgery. Which doesn't excite me.

I guess I'm a little nervous because I've only been under once and that was when I got spayed after the birth of my last child. I didn't like the way I felt when I came out of it.

I remember waking up in recovery and there were nurses and aides everywhere. I kept hearing their names and they all freaking rhymed! Marina, Karena, Lena, Tina....I remember trying to laugh and ending up in a coughing fit...because my name is Katrina. When they realized what I was trying to say..they all laughed. I guess they get teased about it all the time by the rest of the staff.

lei
    FORT Fogey

misskitty, I hope you get a break from your recent traumas. Ice cream is an excellent idea!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I agree on the wisdom teeth thing... take 'em out before they infect nearby teeth. Also agree there's a big difference between top and bottom. With top teeth I was all ready to go with heavy painkillers and did fine with just aspirin and a half bottle of wine instead. Bottom two... no way....really doped up for a day or two.

I have a small mouth and had all four pulled at the same time while under anesthesia. I totally recommend going through it just once and getting it over with. My main suggestion is that if you do have a small mouth like me, to put on some sort of lip balm like Carmex or something, on the corners of your mouth prior to surgery (if they'll let you). Due to having my mouth propped open for so long during the surgery I developed severe chapping around the corners and it really hurt. And if they give you one of those rinser plunger thingys to clean out the pockets, use it! It really did make a difference in my healing time.

I had all four of mine taken at the same time as well. I would recommend it, then you are done. (Of course, mine were all simple extractions so it went easily)

I have tooth troubles, too. The same dentist that removed my wisdom teeth also gave me my first root canal and crown. He screwed up and put a hole in the crown causing a hairline fracture in the crown. It hasn't bothered me because it is a back tooth and anytime it is infected, there is an escape for the infection so I don't even realize it has happened. Well, this has started to cause bone loss so they need to pull it. I talked to a Periodontist yesterday, he said my choices are implant or partial denture. I will admit I seriously considered the partial because I could spit it out and chase my daughter with it. (Yeah, I'm a mean mom. ) I am going to end up with an implant, which isn't covered by my insurance. I am hoping they will help cover the extraction and the crown, though. If not, it is going to cost me $3000. Yuck.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Well, things are not very good here at the catmom3 house. My Mother passed away this morning, of a heart attack.

She was 86 years but very active and spunky. I just feel so worn out and empty at this moment. I worry about my 87 years old Dad too. They would have been married 66 years this x-mas. Except for a few hospital stays and business trips they have never really been apart.

I guess I just needed to come here because I know You folks are very supportive.

Thanks for listening.
    Finally, after 22 years I got my honeymoon. Niagara Falls in February. Whats next the beach in December?

+ Reply to Thread