+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree963Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Remote Goddess: I'm glad to hear that your daughter is enjoying her waterproof cast by the swimming pool.

myrosiedog: My you have been through so very much! And I'm glad that you have good doctors who are truly trying to figure everything out for you. I loved reading about your "watermelon moment". Aren't those nice to have?!
    -------------

Well, it's been pretty sad around here lately. These aren't my personal troubles, but they trouble me.

Another 6 Canadians were killed in Iraq: 4 from our base here. Then 2 more from our base were injured a couple of days later. It seems every time I turn on the tv, we're hearing about our soldiers being killed, then seeing the funeral service in Iraq where they board them on their plane home, seeing them arrive in Canada, then arrive here, then seeing the funeral, then seeing all their stories, then hearing from their families. Heavy Sigh. Even though I don't know even one of them, it hurts deeply that these men are dying; many so very young.

Also, they have arrested two men for involvement in the murder of 4 of our RCMP officers a couple years back. They've re-run the footage of the original news over and over again. And now one of the wives of the RCMP officers want to change where her husband was buried. It's down to a court decision and has re-opened a lot of wounds. He was a Metis and buried on Metis ground. The entire awful tragedy is back in the news all over again. And everyone is upset.

Then, one station wants to do an up-date on all the families that were impacted on Black Friday; when a tornado hit the City and killed 27 people, leaving many injured. This event happened more than 10 years ago. Why can't they let it rest! It just causes pain to re-live that day.

Then, they just identified the body they found last week as another prostitute that has been murdered by what could be a serial killer in our midst. I think the toll is around 27 girls now?

And, for the icing on the cake, a 13 year old girl who murdered her parents and her younger brother with her 20-something year old boyfriend was found guilty, but will be out of jail by the time she is 19 years old and two years later will have no record on file.

All this local trouble and sadness is taking it's toll on me. I don't think I can watch the news anymore.

I know the news is important, but this is just becoming overwhelming.
    Last edited by misskitty; 07-12-2007 at 03:53 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2470706;
    All this local trouble and sadness is taking it's toll on me. I don't think I can watch the news anymore.

I know how you feel, hon. Just imagining the horrors of the world is overwhelming. It's shocking and scary, and sometimes I have to just cry, and then comes the compassion and prayer for all those lost souls.

There's a fine line between how much I feel I need to keep aware of and when it's time to limit it. I'm sorry so much came at you so fast. Sending you hugs.

Thank you sweetie: It's 2:19am and I just can't stop my mind from running through all those events. I am so tired today. z

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2470706;
    Remote Goddess: I'm glad to hear that your daughter is enjoying her waterproof cast by the swimming pool.

myrosiedog: My you have been through so very much! And I'm glad that you have good doctors who are truly trying to figure everything out for you. I loved reading about your "watermelon moment". Aren't those nice to have?!
    -------------

Well, it's been pretty sad around here lately. These aren't my personal troubles, but they trouble me.

Another 6 Canadians were killed in Iraq: 4 from our base here. Then 2 more from our base were injured a couple of days later. It seems every time I turn on the tv, we're hearing about our soldiers being killed, then seeing the funeral service in Iraq where they board them on their plane home, seeing them arrive in Canada, then arrive here, then seeing the funeral, then seeing all their stories, then hearing from their families. Heavy Sigh. Even though I don't know even one of them, it hurts deeply that these men are dying; many so very young.

Also, they have arrested two men for involvement in the murder of 4 of our RCMP officers a couple years back. They've re-run the footage of the original news over and over again. And now one of the wives of the RCMP officers want to change where her husband was buried. It's down to a court decision and has re-opened a lot of wounds. He was a Metis and buried on Metis ground. The entire awful tragedy is back in the news all over again. And everyone is upset.

Then, one station wants to do an up-date on all the families that were impacted on Black Friday; when a tornado hit the City and killed 27 people, leaving many injured. This event happened more than 10 years ago. Why can't they let it rest! It just causes pain to re-live that day.

Then, they just identified the body they found last week as another prostitute that has been murdered by what could be a serial killer in our midst. I think the toll is around 27 girls now?

And, for the icing on the cake, a 13 year old girl who murdered her parents and her younger brother with her 20-something year old boyfriend was found guilty, but will be out of jail by the time she is 19 years old and two years later will have no record on file.

Miss Kitty, TURN OFF THE TV!!!!! I quit watching the news about a year ago. I choose now to read my news online, both the local newspapers and the national news. I find that the coverage of most stories is more indepth than on tv and its not as sensationalized. Believe me, its helped me mentally to not watch it.

I am currently reading a book that talks about the state of the news broadcasts and how much they've changed over the years.
    The phrase "If it bleeds, it leads" is now something almost EVERY news reporting agency uses when considering what stories to use on air.

You can get better news coverage and less emotional turmoil by reading your news. Turn off the tv and ignore the broadcast news. Journalism was once considered a public service. TV news was not designed to make money for the stations or networks. Their other programming made enough money to cover the cost of broadcasting the news. That is no longer true. Ratings drive the tv news, so you can bet that the more emotional, heart tugging it is, they are going to broadcast it because that is what gets ratings. And that is why I don't watch it. I would get so worked up over the news that it wasn't good for me, so I just read it now and I find that I get better journalism and less sensationalism and less emotional stress for me.

It's very sad to think that our news is exploiting people in their times of trouble, but it is. So write to your local news, tell them why you are turning off the tv and do it.

I'm so sorry that Canada is experiencing loss from this terrible war. I hope it will be over soon and ALL the troops can be brought home alive with all limbs intact.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2470778;
    Miss Kitty, TURN OFF THE TV!!!!! ....
    I'm so sorry that Canada is experiencing loss from this terrible war. I hope it will be over soon and ALL the troops can be brought home alive with all limbs intact.
    I think I will start doing that again. Not watching the news. Canada has the highest death rate per size of mission than any other country. The odds of a soldier getting killed is 1/36! And that's not counting the injured. We're higher than the U.S., France, and other NATO deployments. It doesn't help that many are from the base that is here.

I just deleted about 400 photos from my digital camera. I hit the wrong button and couldn't stop it. Even by turning the camera off. I was going to try to download them and post some today of my kitties, and flowers and stuff. Can't get them back. Not good.

I started patching and sanding the rooms I have left to paint. I got the paint matched and everything almost ready to go. Then I started chipping away at some spots. Now I have a huge wall in the den that is down to the original plaster and my main wall in the living room with the fireplace is a disaster. Lord, why doesn't everything in this house turn in to a major project and a ton of work.

I have been moving furniture around, taking large pictures downstairs, cleaning and rolling up rugs, moving ladders around, sweeping, washing the floor, and trying to keep the plaster dust and paint chips away from the kitties. I am so sore I could cry.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Aww, misskitty, I'm so sorry and that your fine country is experiencing so much heartbreak, and that you're in such a funk at home. Another cliche, but it does seem that when it rains it pours.

I agree with mrd's suggestion. As part of that fine line between keeping informed and not getting overwhelmed, I, too, have stopped watching TV news (except Daily Show and Colbert, which I realize are comedy, but they do keep me informed in ways, and provide some perspective) and even reading all but our local alternative papers. I set my Google home page to pick up the top five headlines from the major providers and just click on the ones I feel need to know more about. I also get "breaking news" from a few sources just to keep in touch. All this is just enough for me.

I know our lives and minds are different but I understand really well about being overwhelmed, in general. For me there's usually a time when things just shift. I hope that will happen for you soon.

May today be a better day.

misskitty - That's my excuse for putting off renovation projects. They always seem to expand into something more.

We just spruced up our bathroom. No new fixtures - just paint, flooring, and some new "do-dads". I wanted to paint the vanity when my husband asked me "why does every project turn into an ever-bigger project with you?" So I settled for new knobs on the vanity.

I hope your renovations end up exactly the way you want them. It will be worth it in the end when you have a room to sit back and enjoy.

MRD

Miss Kitty. Don't take anymore pictures on your camera. My friend did that by accident and she was able to take it to a camera place and they were able to recover all her pictures. I don't know how much it cost, but she was thrilled to have her photos still there.

Lei, LOVE Colbert and the Daily Show. Stephen Colbert is my favorite. He cracks me up because he just looks like he really LOVES what he's doing.
    I also watch Bill Mahr and Keith Oberman. I like to get the humerous slant on news, but I do read my "serious" news.

Miss Kitty, I had no idea that the Canadian fatality rate is so high. Do they have an explanation for it? That is just so sad. This whole war is just so senseless and sad.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Miss Kitty, I agree wholeheartedly agree with what MRD said about your digital pics. Take it to a camera place and see if they can recover them. Even if they can't, all is not lost.

I have used a company called FlashFixers twice now and have been totally pleased with what they could do. This company now even has software that one can download right off the website. (I haven't tried that out, so don't know anything about it.)

The first time I used FlashFixers, my camera got messed up when we were on vacation in Ireland. I was soooo upset that a good two weeks of pictures were lost. I sent the card to this place and they called me immediately to tell me that they were able to recover all the pictures....well over 200 photos. (Yippeee!!!) They also put all of those pictures on a CD for me, reformatted the card, and sent it back. They really were lifesavers! It did cost me a little over $100 but, to me, those pictures were priceless. The fee was based on the size of the card, not how many pictures were on it.

The second time I used them, the pictures were not really all that important (mostly my daughter and her friends goofing around) so I wasn't too upset. She might have been, but she should have used her own darn camera! LOL

So, if you cannot get the pictures back when you take it to a camera shop, do an online search for digital photo recovery, or data recovery, places like that. You should be able to get all the pictures back!

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

I've had the day from hell. First, I could not fall asleep last night, so I only got about 2 hours of sleep before I had to get back up and take everyone to the dentist for cleanings. On the way, I got a freaking speeding ticket! I haven't had a speeding ticket in about 14 years. I was so mad at myself!

Then to top off the whole day....The dentist informs me that it's time to get my wisdom teeth yanked. I can't have them pulled in the office..they have to be surgically removed. Bleh. They aren't causing me any problems but they are hard to reach to brush..so....She also said that in the next 6 months, we should have my middle boys pulled, as well.

I came home and did what any self respecting depressed woman would do...I took a nap. At least there is some good news...my teeth are about as clean and shiny as teeth can get and I love the way feel after a cleaning.

+ Reply to Thread