+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1656Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Pyke;2464405;
    Just to let everyone know, I have talked to my pastor/uncle (one and the same).
    Julian, I hope it helped and that he was able to offer some comfort and guidance. You're a very brave young man!

I hope it gave you a little encouragement, and maybe some fresh hope. Hang in there. I have quite a few family members in the armed forces, and I think you are doing a noble thing. Your life experiences mold you, and all the people I know who are serving their country have no regrets. I wish you the best, and there are a lot of people on this board who admire your choices. Me included.
    Go Tigers!

lei
    FORT Fogey

Julian, I'm so happy you are seeking guidance. Life can be so hard sometimes! I've seen therapists during particularly hard times, and it has helped me immensely, and it is nothing to be ashamed of. It's an opportunity to learn more about oneself, and heal wounds, and find peace and joy. I've also been helped by the right medication. Nothing to be ashamed of either. In fact self-discovery and awareness are very noble things Lois is right - you are brave.

You seem to have a really good heart and I send you lots of good wishes to find healing and peace.

P.S. You or anyone can PM me for links to on-line support groups. They're not a substitute for a professional but they can be a great adjunct.

a week or so back I came on about getting rid of an unwanted 'guest'. I appreciated all your input, but have to admit - I caved.
    I think my children get their compassion for the underdog from me.

I told my daughter he had to leave, and they prepared for him to register at a homeless shelter. but she asked for a few days, and he managed to get a job just a few miles from our home - where the homeless stuff is downtown and quite a bit away.
    And I just couldn't do it. He is 28, ex-service man, and just deserved a chance. So I have given him a few weeks to get things settled. They have rules, he is not to be here alone, and he is helping around the house with some handyman type stuff.

he seems quite nice. he gave us his infomration for a background check and we are working on that. And sometimes life just throws you down and I would hope someone would help out my children if it happens to them.

Yes, maybe I'm a sucker, but I can live with myself.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy;2464433;
    I hope it gave you a little encouragement, and maybe some fresh hope. Hang in there. I have quite a few family members in the armed forces, and I think you are doing a noble thing. Your life experiences mold you, and all the people I know who are serving their country have no regrets. I wish you the best, and there are a lot of people on this board who admire your choices. Me included.
    I echo these sentiments exactly. You are to be commended for volunteering to serve your country. There is no higher calling in my opinion. I wish you the best of luck and I say we are lucky and thankful to have people like you serving in our Armed Forces.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Wow, you are a very courageous brave young man Julian Pyke.. I'm very proud of you. Good luck, and Bless you.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2464833;
    a week or so back I came on about getting rid of an unwanted 'guest'. I appreciated all your input, but have to admit - I caved.

I told my daughter he had to leave, and they prepared for him to register at a homeless shelter. but she asked for a few days, and he managed to get a job just a few miles from our home - where the homeless stuff is downtown and quite a bit away.
    And I just couldn't do it. He is 28, ex-service man, and just deserved a chance. So I have given him a few weeks to get things settled. They have rules, he is not to be here alone, and he is helping around the house with some handyman type stuff.

he seems quite nice. he gave us his infomration for a background check and we are working on that. And sometimes life just throws you down and I would hope someone would help out my children if it happens to them.

Hoping this all works out well, schmoo2---you are one of kind ones, not a bad thing to be!

Julian--I hope talking to your uncle/pastor helped...but if not it might help to talk to someone outside your family for a more unbiased view of things....

MRD

Well, I think that despite what I might have said earlier, you are probably doing the right thing. It sounds like he is more than willing to work and help out and gave you his info for a background check so sometimes things aren't always what they seem and kudos to you for helping him out. You are so right, sometimes, we need to look beyond some things and help people.
    Just think, you helping him out may inspire him to help others one day and doing good deeds ALWAYS comes back to you in a good way.

I wish you the best of luck and him as well for getting his life back on track. And as long as you believe you are doing what's right, that's all that matters.

It really is a shame that some of our ex-servicemen don't get the help they often need after the service. It just seems so unfair that they volunteer, get paid low amounts, risk their lives and then are forgotten about once they are home. One thing that you might encourage him to look into when he has a little bit more money is the American Legion. They contacted my husband recently and offered him numerous benefits for joining. It's $20 a year. But one of the benefits is an advocate to help him with the VA which we currently need. And belonging to a group that has also served sometimes really helps get local contacts for jobs, etc. So he may benefit from belonging to a group of ex-servicemen as they really do stick together and help each other out.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

And sometimes life just throws you down and I would hope someone would help out my children if it happens to them.

I always think about this whenever I see someone in need: What if it were me? What if it were my child?

So sometimes I may seem like the most gullible, trusting, naive lady when it comes to helping others, be it by handing out dollar bills to people with signs on the street corners or "friends" who really need my time/advise/money/etc... If only one out of every ten times I do it, it really truly helps, then I'm okay with that. That's one less person needing help in the world.

I think, no matter how it turns out, that you're doing the right thing for your daughter's friend, your daughter, and for yourself. Showing (practicing what we preach) our children how to live a compassionate life is never a bad thing.

schmoo2, I call this paying it forward. The only thing is how do you protect yourself from being taken? In the past I would pay it forward without a thought, and feel almost giddy. I always tried to remain anonymous, too.
    Anymore, I look at things with a grain of salt, but hope that I would come forward if the person really needed something.

+ Reply to Thread