+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1359Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

FORT Fogey

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2462420;
    Julian do you feel like you are falling back into that black hole because you are about to leave for boot camp and your life is about to undergo a big change?

Please find someone you can talk to......there are people that can help you......

Well, that and, cause of love issues. And, I am over really what I psted. I wrote that a few days ago...

I would talk to someone, but I can't cause it might disqualify me to go to boot camp or delay it.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Pyke;2462422;
    Well, that and, cause of love issues. And, I am over really what I psted. I wrote that a few days ago...

I would talk to someone, but I can't cause it might disqualify me to go to boot camp or delay it.
    Forgive me because I don't want to sound rude...but IMO, your mental state of mind is more important than boot camp!

Please take care of yourself!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2462444;
    Forgive me because I don't want to sound rude...but IMO, your mental state of mind is more important than boot camp!

Please take care of yourself!
    I understand. I agree with you too. However, I also think that my emotionless state of mine is good when going to boot camp, and instead get help when I come out since I need to go to boot camp emotionless.

Thanks for your concern, I agree. I just, can't right now. I have a good head on my shoulders no matter if I am really kind of really cold, I always make calculated decisions.

MRD

Julian, I hope you go talk to someone professionally about this. Boot camp is HARD and if you are not right emotionally, it can really push you over the edge. The purpose of boot camp is to strip down all emotion and replace it with someone who doesn't think, but reacts. Thinking can cost lives, but total reaction without pause is crucial in combat situations. Boot camp also strips away the individual and makes him into a part of a team. It is very hard emotionally as well as phsically and many people end up dropping out or worse because they cannot deal with the emotional aspect of it.

I urge you to seek help before you go in. It could make the difference in how well you do in the military.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Julian, I am with the majority in hoping that you'll seek help before you enter the military-even if it's with a minister or priest. Good luck.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by famita;2463841;
    Julian, I am with the majority in hoping that you'll seek help before you enter the military-even if it's with a minister or priest. Good luck.

Julian, this is a good idea and they cannot disclose what you talked about if you are worried about that affecting your military records or career.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I don't understand why in this day and age that there is still a stigma about getting help from a therapist or a psychologist/psychiatrist. Just about everyone I know--including some very well respected and "with it" folks--talks openly about having seen a shrink at one point or another to help them get through a loss, over a relationship, deal with grief etc. While I'm not a proponent of having prescription drugs thrown at people to solve problems, I also know that in some cases, they can be life savers. One of my friends was put on a mild antidepressant for about 6 months after her awful divorce that put her through the wringer physically and emotionally--it really helped get her through some rough times. So my point is Julian, there is no shame in seeking help. If you had a broken arm, I would expect you to get help. A broken heart sometimes needs the same kind of tender attention.

And I don't mean to be a stickler, but there was actually only 1 day between your first post asking for help and your second saying you didn't need any. From all your previous posts, you sound like a very smart, articulate young man and the fact that you are willingly going to serve our country already makes you a hero in my eyes. I hope that if you feel overwhelmed again, you will think about seeking out a professional to talk to. Good luck!
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 07-07-2007 at 01:50 PM.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Pyke;2462368;
    I can't see a couseler, leaving for boot camp July 24th. But, yes, I know, I should see a couselor... but at this time in my life, I can't afford it (in college) and, well, yeah. I have many issues in my life. I had two attempts on my life when I was young by my once step brother... meotional abuse form my bilogical father... well... yeah, I know I need to see someone. I will just bottle it back up right now...
    Totally with the other folks, JP---your college must have a counselor, and if you aren't on campus now, use one of those phone book hotlines. Otherwise the stress of bootcamp could cause some really negative things, both temporary, and long lasting, emotionally and in terms of your career. You wouldn't spend the 2 weeks before boot camp lounging around eating doughnuts--you'd try to get in shape so you could survive the physical side more easily. Do the same for the emotional side. And if it means a delay in your going to boot camp, so be it--as mentioned above, if you'd broken your arm you'd accept the delay--this is no different.
    Read over your cry for help from just yesterday--if today you feel 100% different than that that alone is a danger sign. Please, get help now!

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Pyke;2462368;
    I can't see a couseler, leaving for boot camp July 24th. But, yes, I know, I should see a couselor... but at this time in my life, I can't afford it (in college) and, well, yeah. I have many issues in my life. I had two attempts on my life when I was young by my once step brother... meotional abuse form my bilogical father... well... yeah, I know I need to see someone. I will just bottle it back up right now...
    Sweetie, I have been where you are. Lucky for me I am a mom, so I am in a sense REQUIRED to maintain emotional equalibrium because I am solely responsible for preparing two people for life as we know it.

I offer a possible solution to keep you grounded and with a little hope. When I am teetering on the edge, I have a routine. I do EVERYTHING differently. If I normally get up at 9 am, I start forcing my morning challenged self to awaken at 7 am. Then, I take the circuitous route to work. (The "scenic" route, if you will) Hell, I have an extra two hours, so I can stop and smell the roses. Or the ocean, in my case. Instead of listening to my usual music, I listen to the exact opposite. Then, instead of going drinkin with the guys, read a book and stay home. Just changing a few of your daily habits can have a profound effect on your life, from the people you meet to your state of mind. Try it, it's free, and it just might help.
    Go Tigers!

FORT Fogey

Just to let everyone know, I have talked to my pastor/uncle (one and the same).

+ Reply to Thread