+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2024Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

MRD

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2371777;
    This is my mother to a T. She is on medication but it clearly doesn't work. And she is one of those who gets the bursts of energy to clean. I haven't been close to her for many years as she can't hold a conversation without delving into the past about her marriage to my father, or her current relationship (which several family members told her not to get involved with), and she will start crying at the drop of a hat and begin the woe is me stuff. I've gotten hard on her over the years and tell her I'll have to end the call when she gets that way. I can't deal with it. My sister is just like her but she is on drugs. My brother lives far away and I never see him but he suffers depression as well. I have small bouts but have never sought professional help or used medication. I think having a husband who keeps me grounded helps tremendously. I know mind over matter doesn't work with the severly depressed and they do need medical intervention but I've always been able to snap myself out of a funk. Until my mother calls

ETA: I suffer from insomnia but I do not have the burst of energy to clean! I usually watch tv, come to the computer for a bit, or do a little reading to get back to sleep. Sometimes I'll take a nap during the day but not often. My husband can sleep through anything and doesn't mind if I'm up and down all night, as he's busy snoring.
    My family has a history of depression and I do know now, that I need to be on my anti-depressants. Every time I've felt better and decided to get off, I went right back to being depressed. I too feel very fortunate to have a husband who grounds me and who has been my rock and support and has really influenced me to become a better person over the years.
    But I have 2 relatives now (my mother could send me right to the refrigerator to emotionally eat after talking to her, but most days, she was ok.) that I don't like to talk to on the phone as I always end up upset after listening to their rants. So I just don't talk to them anymore.

Trust me, the cleaning bursts only happen occasionally and have NOT happened in a LONG time. I'm due, the house needs it! And I think that the reason that I went so long without being diagnosed as "hypomani" is that I will go a year or two without an episode. I just thought I got a lot of energy and wanted to clean and run my mouth continuously (which I'm sure most of you are saying: how can you tell? ).

And I'm fortunate my husband can sleep through anything as I read in bed for at least an hour after he goes to sleep and I'm up and down sometimes too.
    Unfortunately, the very few times I've needed him to get up in the middle of the night for some reason, its like he's in a coma. (when we got vandalized a couple years ago was one example)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I too suffer from clinical depression and have to be on medication. I also tend to get manic episodes as well where I go like crazy doing stuff. That's why I was so good at my job. I could deal with a reactive crazy position that burned out many people.

My family members also have some depression, social anxiety, and such. Bipolar is very difficult and medication is a must.

Because I have chronic fatique as well, I have some medication that jump-starts me which is great. But then I can't slow down. And when I stop it, I can't get going for days. It's a real roller-coaster. Neither state is the best. I wish I could find something that keeps me more middle-of-the-road. Sigh.

It is very difficult to have family members who are suffering from mental illness. You just have to make sure that you are not pulled into the drama. You must keep your own balance for your own health. It helps to talk to professionals about your relatives actions as well. Sometimes they can give you good tools to use when dealing with them.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Well, I had one of those bursts of energy yesterday. We went to the Farmer's market, walked all over. Got home and I cleaned like a mad woman and today I'm paying.

I hurt all over. My fibromyalgia has flared up this week, but yesterday I was feeling better and know I over did it and today I am paying. I have the fibro "fog" (kind of a mental dullness-not confusion, but you are not quick on the uptake either) and the pain and fatigue. I should be in bed, but the bed was hurting me (yes, just having contact with the mattress hurts) so I got up.

I have to say that since I am away from most of my family and my husbands, we don't have the drama we used too and that makes me feel better as the drama is just tiring in itself. I think the entire world sufferes from something.
    But Miss Kitty is right. Finding balance, going to counseling, getting the right meds has done me a world of wonders. I always say: "better living through chemicals!"

My son has had fever since Thursday. The higher it's been is 39C (102.2F), mostly in the middle of the night. We brought him to the clinic yesterday and they gave us an antibiotic because he's a little red in the ear, but there is nothing else wrong with him. I'm wondering if it's not a growth spur or a tooth coming out, but he's never had it for so long. Today he seems to be doing better, but we are all a little tired, since the last two nights have been interrupted by his cries.

Oh no DesertRose! That is really scary for your son to have a fever so high . I do hope it gets better, soon! And if not, I know you'll get him back to the clinic quickly (we need a Granny smilie)

I go back to the doctor tomorrow, and hope I can at least get an idea of what we might be going to do about my leg/butt/back. Like rosie I'm not geting very much rest--lying in bed hurts to the point that I'll only sleep a couple hours here and there. So, I'm up and down, all day and night. I do have some comfortable or not as bad hours, but still, this is getting old already. Oh well, I"ll deal with it.

Anyone who is getting these "bursts of energy" is more than welcome to come mop and vacuum for me, by the way--I just can't do it right now and the floors are getting really ugly!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Ugggh--sorry to keep dragging this depressing thread back up. But I have to this time. I had just finished talking to my Dad last night, and he called back ten minutes later--I was expecting that he just forgot something, but no, he wanted to tell me my sister's house had burned all the way to the ground. Thank God it was midday when it happpened, so no one was home--they were cat-sitting for my brothers kitty though, and he obviously didn't make it. . Anyway, they have absolutely nothing left, at all. I went over last evening with a couple of coolers and a box of trash bags, and there was not anything left to salvage-- just a couple of cast iron antique things, and one desk drawer with a few things in it. They have 2 teenage boys, and also tthe oldest daughter, with 2 year old had moved back in. I just hate this--they had had a hard time financially a while back, and had to go into rental housing, and just moved into this place before Christmas. It was a 100 year old farmhouse, and wasn't very big or anything, but they had already renovated the kitchen and were making good progress on the rest of it, doing it themselves. The firemen said that it appeared the fire started with an aquarium pump, and that you would not believe how often that happens. Fish owners beware.
    I'm just sitting this morning, already talked to Sis and told her to get up a list of stuff to do before everyone else starts milling around creating confusion. (Unfortunately, out of the 6 kids between 'em, only one will be any use at all.)
    I especially want to hurry up and find something to do with the 2 Boxers, including Raisin (my step-dog AV) who are now at Animal Control. I can't take them in my house due to my cat, but I will find somewhere better than AC, today
    Unfortunately I had just given my sister some decent clothes that didn't fit me right, but I'm hoping to dig up a few more at least tshirts and stuff for her.
    I guess or hope they will call me as soon as they get all their medications and so forth replaced- don't need to miss the blood pressure pills in this situation especially! There's not really much I can do in this situation, except be there, so I want to hurry up and do it, as soon as I find out I won't be in the way.

I have told them they can come here if need be, but my house is tee-tiny, and I'll have to get on it and clean out my junk room if they want to stay--a good time to do that anyway. I think they may prefer to rent a motor home and put it on the property, though as the kids have one more week of school, plus to supervise any cleanup, insurance, or whatever people my have to do work over there.

I know I can always get support here, and really appreciate it; I glad I've got somewhere to come admit "I feel helpless here". That's very hard for me in real life. Thanks for hearing.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2403916;
    Ugggh--sorry to keep dragging this depressing thread back up. But I have to this time. I had just finished talking to my Dad last night, and he called back ten minutes later--I was expecting that he just forgot something, but no, he wanted to tell me my sister's house had burned all the way to the ground. Thank God it was midday when it happpened, so no one was home--they were cat-sitting for my brothers kitty though, and he obviously didn't make it. . Anyway, they have absolutely nothing left, at all. I went over last evening with a couple of coolers and a box of trash bags, and there was not anything left to salvage-- just a couple of cast iron antique things, and one desk drawer with a few things in it. They have 2 teenage boys, and also tthe oldest daughter, with 2 year old had moved back in. I just hate this--they had had a hard time financially a while back, and had to go into rental housing, and just moved into this place before Christmas. It was a 100 year old farmhouse, and wasn't very big or anything, but they had already renovated the kitchen and were making good progress on the rest of it, doing it themselves. The firemen said that it appeared the fire started with an aquarium pump, and that you would not believe how often that happens. Fish owners beware.
    I'm just sitting this morning, already talked to Sis and told her to get up a list of stuff to do before everyone else starts milling around creating confusion. (Unfortunately, out of the 6 kids between 'em, only one will be any use at all.)
    I especially want to hurry up and find something to do with the 2 Boxers, including Raisin (my step-dog AV) who are now at Animal Control. I can't take them in my house due to my cat, but I will find somewhere better than AC, today
    Unfortunately I had just given my sister some decent clothes that didn't fit me right, but I'm hoping to dig up a few more at least tshirts and stuff for her.
    I guess or hope they will call me as soon as they get all their medications and so forth replaced- don't need to miss the blood pressure pills in this situation especially! There's not really much I can do in this situation, except be there, so I want to hurry up and do it, as soon as I find out I won't be in the way.

I have told them they can come here if need be, but my house is tee-tiny, and I'll have to get on it and clean out my junk room if they want to stay--a good time to do that anyway. I think they may prefer to rent a motor home and put it on the property, though as the kids have one more week of school, plus to supervise any cleanup, insurance, or whatever people my have to do work over there.

I know I can always get support here, and really appreciate it; I glad I've got somewhere to come admit "I feel helpless here". That's very hard for me in real life. Thanks for hearing.

Queenie, that is HORRIBLE! My prayers go out to all of you. PM me your sis's size. I have a box of clothes that don't fit anymore and may be able to help.
    Is the Red Cross helping? They do help families in these situations and do give them vouchers for hotels and meals. I would definetly get in touch with them and see if they can help. There are other organizations too. And the Red Cross may be able to help you with contact info.

And I hope you get the doggies out of AC today. Poor things.

My heart goes out to all of you. Please let me know if I can help in ANY way. I am only 2 hours away.

And this is NOT a depressing thread. This is one of the most important threads on the forum, because its a place to get support from friends and you came to the right place! So let us know what we can do to help.

QueenB, that's awful. You might call the Red Cross -- they often can help victims of a fire with at least a few nights in a motel and some clothing.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

queenb: I am so sorry! I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers. Also, PM me with the sizes for the kids. I have 3 boys so I might be able to help out there. I'd be happy to mail a box of clothing and other items. Just let me know! Also, local churches often collect household items, appliances and clothing for families in need. They also donate money and food. Be sure to check out those sources, as well.

queenb - Add me to the list of those who want sizes. I have a 16 year old son who had a closet stuffed with stuff. My own closet is also stuffed. They should definitely touch base with the local Red Cross and churches in the area. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your sister's family.

+ Reply to Thread