+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Thank you canuckinchile and Roses! I'm going to read these links you gave me and I'll look into the niacin. Hopefully, something works.

Is 5:00 too late to exercise? I have to wait for my husband to get home before I can go for my walks. I could do it earlier and take my son, but to be honest, I like the hour of alone time...

I feel bad posting this, as there are MANY more serious problems than mine, but I'd just kind of like to get this off of my chest!

I have my own scrapbooking service that I've had for a little bit now. I've gotten a few jobs, but they've all been from my parents and/or their friends. So I had a new client lined up and everything, and she said she was going to refer me to lots of other people that would use me for their books... I was thrilled! Well, its been almost a week, and I've gotten to email back from her.

I was really excited about getting some money so I could buy my pre-summer stuff, and pay off some of my bills that I owe my parents... Maybe get a new pair of heels? But nonetheless, I'm kind of ticked.

Besides craigslist, where else can I post services like that, just for one specific city? I was thinking the paper, but I really don't want to pay for classifieds. *Sigh* I knew I shouldn't get too excited...
    Currently Loving: Mystery from The Pickup Artist
    Currently Excited About: The modeling competition that I'm in! Wish me luck, guys...
    *Runner Up in the Kyle XY Caption Contest! Whoo!*

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

RD - How about making up some flyers and posting them on message boards around your city? I know places like the public library, some grocery stores, a lot of craft stores, churches, and even some banks have cork-boards where people can post notices or services. Maybe your town has YMCA centers or other youth centers? Parents being the target here for scrap-booking their dear darlings' summer camp experience or a sports book or something... It might be a good place to start until you get a little business built up so you can afford those (red peep-toe heels and) classified ads!

Personally, I love the idea of this business venture! I like scrap-booking, but I think I like the idea of it more than the actual chore itself. I like to shop for great papers and stickers and letters and such, but when it comes to actually putting the things together in the scrap book, I get a tad bit overwhelmed. I would have loved to have someone do it for me! Then I could pull out my georgously original and personal scrap books and people will think/assume I'm the artistic, creative one!

Good luck with this and keep us posted on how it turns out!

remote_goddess, thank you so much for those ideas! I just made one of those flyers with the tear away strips at the bottom and I'm on my way to find somewhere to post it.

Haha, my mother was the same way- She would buy all of the 'Creative Memories' packets, the fancy scissors, and the 3-D stickers but they'd just sit there in a bag for weeks, untouched. So, about 6 years ago, I just picked up a page, found some pictures and scrapped away!

The lady who contacted me had a precious idea of making her daughter a softball scrapbook of all of her accomplishments, and I was so excited to start. I'm hoping that someone will contact me soon, and I'll keep you updated for sure!
    Currently Loving: Mystery from The Pickup Artist
    Currently Excited About: The modeling competition that I'm in! Wish me luck, guys...
    *Runner Up in the Kyle XY Caption Contest! Whoo!*

Kat, you're going to hate this suggestion, but I've found that not having a tv on my last couple of hours, and no music either, helps. I just read with a small lamp, and it puts me in a sleepy mood. I know I'm ready when I have to read the last couple of pages twice!

Actually, I'm here to whine, and I need some suggestions. I've been developing pain in my hip and leg over the past couple of months that finally got to the point where I couldn't make it in to work. I got a cortisone shot, muscle relaxer, etc. three weeks ago and was 'fair' for a few days, and I was working, but by the end of that week I was worse than before. So, I went to the orthopadeic office, where they have scheduled me for an MRI-- May 9th. (I went to the office April 30) and I see the doctor again on May 14. The initial x-ray does show a disc in my lower back that appears nearly gone, so I would think that they could tell I really do have this pain.
    This whole time, I've still been in bad pain, and my job is heavy at times and requires lots of walking and steps at best. So, I'm using up the remainder of my earned time off this week to stay home.
    So, here's the problem--the orthopaedist's office will not write me an excuse for work! They reluctantly wrote one for me to have limited duty, but due to the nature of my occupation my company does not allow people in my department to work less than full duty. I tried explaining this, but they said that it's up to my job to take me out of work in that case. My boss says he is not allowed to let me come in on part duty, and yet I am not excused unless the doctor lets me return on full duty. (Yes, I work for a big huge company whose policies are set in stone) Asking the doc to return me on full duty is kind of stupid, as I generally have a couple of hours a day where I can barely walk get up and down, or anything and sitting, standing, even lying diown all hurt like hell. The rest of the time, I'm not sure I can move fast enough to perform my job correctly.
    The orthopaedic clinic says they "might' write an excuse for me after they read the MRI, but that will be a week from now, and I couldn't get it any earlier no matter what.
    Does anyone here work in the medical field have any idea what I could possibly do to get these people to listen to me? I understand that lots of people use back pain as an excuse to get out of work--but I'm not doing that.
    I'm about to worry myself to death as well as being horribly uncomfortable, and bored as well. I can't even stand to sit in my computer chair for more than a few minutes, most times, so that my slow typing self has had to get up and move around and self massage three times just to make this post!
    Sorry for the long whine
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I Is Stephanie

No worries, I mean, if you just saw what I wrote in the good news thread (I think Tolstoy's War and Peace might have competition inthe longest novel category) you'd suddenly think that your post was short!

I can't help you, I'm actually here to complain (again). For math and science each year, we have to do these huge projects at the end to demonstrate smoething that we've learned in math/science. My project's question is "What shapes and colors are most aesthetically pleasting to the human eye when doing stained glass work, and does using geometrically precise tools and trigonometry for precise cuts add to the aesthetic value?" I planned on doing the research by showing people different shapes and colors, (i.e. blue circle, orange rectangle) and asking them which ones they liked best, then forming a stained glass design around it.

But today I realized that at least 1 person in the school is totally colorblind, and I feel that I would be discriminating against him to so this. I know it's irrational, but just the other day, a person I know was telling him about a electric blue prom dress she saw, and when she said "can you imagine?!" his face sunk and he just said "No. I can't."

So...
    1) Am I being totally irrational in my thinking that I'm discriminating?
    2) Can anyone come up with a better idea for how I can collect data?
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Stephanie
    1) Yes
    2) No, it's no difference if you are trying to figure out how fast the average middle aged woman can run. I CAN'T, and would say so. But my personal feelings don't enter into this. I just don't count in your survey, same as blind or color blind people won't fit the one you're doing. Hurt feelings are going to happen, that's life. There is no other way to get information than to ask, when your question is bases on a matter of opinion and not scientific/ mathematic fact.

Steph, how long do you have to work on this project?
    Not to say you have a horrible idea or anything, but from someone with a dgree in art-- The answer to your project's questions are totally individual. Some people prefer hard edges, perfection of geomethric shapes, etc. while others prefer more organic forms. It's not a mathmatical question you're asking, but an aesthetic one, so there is no hard answer for either question. You may be able to count the number of people from your pool who prefer one way or the other, but it proves nothing.
    Look up, for instance, Golden Rectangle in art, and you'll see examples of mathematical theory applied to art and composition, but as over the years artists and viewers have moved away from such theories.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I Is Stephanie

Until mid-June. I guess what I'm really getting at is using trig in a more real-world solution, and I want to know what my school community thinks about aesthetics--we are a very emotionally diverse bunch, so I'm wondering if we think the same ways about color. But yeah, for the most part, its using math to make more precise forms. The color is there to entertain me.
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

queenb I don't work in the medical profession but I've also never had a doctor that wasn't willing to give me an excuse for work! Can you go to a different doctor? It may be a little too late for that on this instance, but I would consider it in the future. My doctor's have always gone above and beyond what I think they should do. I've had doctors offer me work excuses that I've turned down, and written me pain prescriptions that I've thrown away. I know that some people abuse the system but if you don't have a history of that, I just can't imagine that a doctor wouldn't believe your pain. If they don't give you an excuse after the MRI, just put your foot down (gently). Tell them that you are in extreme pain and that it's impossible for you to do your job, and to just write the silly little note!! Sheesh.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

queenb I can't offer any advice, but I can offer my sympathy and my sincere wishes that they figure out how to fix your back problem soon. My sciatic nerve pinches off from time to time (I think it stems from a car accident) and being laid up with back pain is the worst! I'm very sorry you are suffering through this right now. My thoughts and well wishes are with you.

+ Reply to Thread