+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2254501;
    I was just home for the first time since my dad died. I was in Africa at the time and couldn't make it to the funeral. My mom brought out a bag full of sympathy cards and I read them over coffee one morning while she was watching the news. I would ask who someone was and she'd give me the back-story. It was an amazing experience. I will be writing a lot more sympathy cards now, knowing what a treasure they are. The best ones have a small memory written up. One nurse who started out decades ago in his hospital said she remembered him teaching her how to make the perfect martini (with a drop of Scotch) and teaching her drinking songs. An old boyfriend of my sister remembered the time he had objected when my dad told him he had a bug up his a$$ so my dad rephrased it with specific Latin bug name and bodypart word. (Now you're getting the wrong impression about my dad, but he did have an ornery side).
    Gutmutter: I remember when that happened; that you were away in Africa and how difficult that was for you. How wonderful that you were able to read over your sympathy cards with your mom and hear all those stories. Those kind of memories are great ones.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2254501;
    (Now you're getting the wrong impression about my dad, but he did have an ornery side).
    Nope - sounds like he was a very cool guy to me - but I like ornery.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    misskitty: I've been away from the computer for the last few days and just now have read about your sweetie's dad passing away. I'm sorry for being so late but I wanted you and your sweetie to know that I was thinking of both of you....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2257342;
    misskitty: I've been away from the computer for the last few days and just now have read about your sweetie's dad passing away. I'm sorry for being so late but I wanted you and your sweetie to know that I was thinking of both of you....
    Thank you dear. The last couple days were particularly hard for him. He's a pretty sensitive guy and doesn't like to show how upset he gets in front of his nieces and nephews. And if one person starts to tear up, then, ... you know.
    Last edited by misskitty; 02-28-2007 at 01:21 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Well, this isnt my trouble, but it is in a way.

I am going to tell you all a little story about how messed up the insurance industry is. My cousin Becky, whom I am very close with (we're only 4 months apart, so it was like having a built in best friend in the family), was born with an encaved chest. Now, because of this birth defect, she is breathing in an ok amount of oxygen (75% i believe), but she's only breathing out about 45% oxygen. Long story short: she's pretty much slowly dieing of carbon monoxide poisoning. Sometimes it gets so bad, she passes out.

She went to a doctor. The doctor said she needs to have a surgery where they have to basically rip open her chest, and insert a metal bar, and leave it in there for about 4 years.

Guess what? According to the insurance company, this is not a vital surgery. It's a COSMETIC surgery. Um... excuse me? For reals? Having a surgery that can help you breath and NOT slowly die from carbon monoxide poisoning is a cosmetic surgery? Since when? So now my cousin has to gather all her medical records to PROVE to insurance company that this surgery NEEDS to be done. Her doctor is flabergasted by this too.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Oh, SuperBrat, that is terrible for your cousin. I've always said that when the revolution comes, insurance company executives will be the first ones to have their heads borne through the streets on pikes. Anyway, good luck to her - I hope she can manage to make them see reason. Perhaps getting a story into the media might force them to understand the facts of the matter.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

SuperBrat - I hope things work out for your cousin. What a terrible problem to have . . . and to have a fix for it in sight and not be able to get it done because of stupid bureaucrats . . . it's just horrible. I bet things would change if some of these insurance company employees had family members with the same problem.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBrat;2262923;
    Well, this isnt my trouble, but it is in a way.

I am going to tell you all a little story about how messed up the insurance industry is. My cousin Becky, whom I am very close with (we're only 4 months apart, so it was like having a built in best friend in the family), was born with an encaved chest. Now, because of this birth defect, she is breathing in an ok amount of oxygen (75% i believe), but she's only breathing out about 45% oxygen. Long story short: she's pretty much slowly dieing of carbon monoxide poisoning. Sometimes it gets so bad, she passes out.

She went to a doctor. The doctor said she needs to have a surgery where they have to basically rip open her chest, and insert a metal bar, and leave it in there for about 4 years.

Guess what? According to the insurance company, this is not a vital surgery. It's a COSMETIC surgery. Um... excuse me? For reals? Having a surgery that can help you breath and NOT slowly die from carbon monoxide poisoning is a cosmetic surgery? Since when? So now my cousin has to gather all her medical records to PROVE to insurance company that this surgery NEEDS to be done. Her doctor is flabergasted by this too.
    SuperBrat, this is where the doctors come in. She needs to get the doctors to call the insurance company while she is in the office with them or have a conference call with her/insurance/doctor. They will be able to explain the necessity of the surgery and why she needs. Do not let her back down. Keep asking to talk to a supervisor. If you get one on the phone and they don't give you the answer you want, go to another one and keep going until they say it will be covered. But she has to make sure the doctors are wording the reason for the surgery the right way to make sure it would be covered. Please keep us posted. She will be in my prayers.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

My 13-year-old niece-in-law was just diagnosed with MS.

Pediatric MS isn't as common but there are several hospitals in the US that have grants and "Centers of Excellence" to study, treat and rehabilitate MS in younger people. The one closest to them is The U of Alabama Birmingham, but the insurance won't cover because it's out of state ... they're in Tennessee.

Luckily, Vanderbilt in Nashville has a pretty good MS program and a Children's Hospital, and that's where she'll be going. But the point is that the recommended place for her at this juncture because of the pediatric MS focus is Bama, but the insurance says no. I'm no geography whiz, but I'm told that Bama and Vanderbuilt are about equi-distant from their Tennessee home. Makes no sense to me.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Echo and Superbrat, I am so sorry for you family troubles. Superbrat, I agree with Combat. Tell your cousin to go as high up as she can and make sure the doctors talk to the insurance company. Sometimes it's not the wording of an insurance contract that prevents coverage, it's the person you are talking to.

I don't know what is happening with the world we live in. I just came back from my inlaws and I found out that my husband's uncle, who is pushing 70 was beaten up last night by the neighbouring family over a pile of snow. We had over 10 inches of snow yesterday. His son, who was visiting could not get out of the driveway because the neighbours (who by all accounts are not normal) pushed their snow onto his driveway. So he confronted them and asked them to take it off. Which they did. Once the son left, my husband's uncle went outside to put his car in the driveway. Apparently, the neighbour (who must be 70 also), his wife and his 2 sons went up to him and told him that they couldn't hurt him then (when his son was there), but now they could. So all four of them ganged up on him; the father with a shovel. I think the only thing that saved him is that this man worked in construction, so he is very strong. He was brought to the hospital and got off after a couple of hours, so the injuries must not be life threathning. The idiot-father was brought to jail. Not the other because they had no weapons, just their hands.

+ Reply to Thread