+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2015Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Don't hate!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2190024;
    Don't hate!
    Who said anything about hate?
    Just.Be.Careful.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2190019;
    Good news is I was able to stay out of bed today, get out of pyjamas and get some milk and a paper from the store. (A nap is coming up rather soon). Bad news is right now I am supposed to be getting picked up by my sweetie to celebrate New Years, which won't be happening.

More bad news is now my Dad has the flu. I think he got it from me. He's now sick in bed.

Stooppid flu.

prhoshay: Don't dance too hard, you could slip and fall and break a leg

misskitty you keep taking care of yourself and Gracie... we care
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Glad you're feeling better, misskitty. I hope your dad feels better soon also.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2190067;
    Who said anything about hate?
    Just.Be.Careful.
    Seriously, young lady.....glad you're feeling better. Tell Gracie I said I'm glad she's feeling better, too!

gabriel, glad Mona is perking up.

Check this out...I'm not sick, but one of my gurls has diarrhea, but I'm not sure who. Twice, somebody has not made it to the litter box. Good grief...
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

What would you do???
    I hate to post this in the "troubles" thread, because it's relatively minor, but just something I'd like to throw out to see what anyone else here would do. I've got to give some background first. (Don't worry, this is nothing like what it will seem like from the first part of the post!)
    I have had this (male, as are all my co workers) manager at work for 15 years who I am always friendly and talk to. However, I have never been flirty, suggestive, or even made a PG rated joke around this man, and have treated him just like I do the rest of the men I work with. Still, over the years, he has asked me to go get coffee or breakfast after work a couple of times, I said no. He seemed to get the hint, then one Christmas he gave me a Christmas card with $20 in it, wouldn't take it back, so I made it a point that he knew I bought candy for the whole department with the $. The following Valentine's day he told me he had roses for me in his car and I told him to take them home to his wife even though they have been on the verge of divorce forever and everyone knows it. I also let him know in no uncertain tems that I did not want him doing anything else like this!So, for about the past four or five years, there have been no more incidents, and he hasn't done anything else like that.
    Now, 1/3 of our managers (this one included) have been given a separation package (read, downsizing and forced retirement) So, at the end of the shift, when I came out of my dressing room, there he is, and no one else. He handed me an envelope, which I thought was something work related from the office. Then he says he enjoyed working there, and we shook hands,etc. THEN he asks "would it be ok for me to call you sometime, just to talk?" I said, I would appreciate you not doing that, and he walked off.
    So, then I checked the envelope, and it's a New Year's card, with a $100 bill inside. (No, he didn't give any out to all the workers) and it read, "[I] I will be thinking about you a lot... Love,[/I] xxxxxx"
    I know this man is lonely, and he's a nice man, and it's very sad that the grass looks greener over here. But I feel very, very weirded-out by this. This is where I want to know what anyone else would do. Bear in mind, this man won't be coming back to the job, it was his last night, and he did have to turn in all his security passes and everything. Would it be a bad idea to try to Google his home address and send the money back in a card with work as the return address "from the guys on the job" (why cause even more trouble with his wife?) If I do, I'm afraid he might send it back to me and call over here telling me he wants me to have it blahblah, or....something I don't know. Or would it be better to just spend the money on groceries, or donate it to charity, or??? and try to forget about it.
    What would you folks do? Am I letting this bug me too much? I'm middle aged, happily involved with a good guy,chunky (but Queenly!) etc. and thought all my man problems were in the past but I keep flashing back to the many weird incidents I had in my 20's involving guys who couldn't take "No' for an answer. And as I said, this man's advances were spaced very far apart, and not pushy. Anyway, if this even makes sense, let me know what you think and would do, if anything.
    Last edited by queenb; 12-30-2006 at 06:52 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I thought about suggesting giving it to charity, then I kept on reading to see that you suggested it as well. If you contact him, in any way, he might take it the wrong way and end up still pursuing you. I don't know, I'm generally not good at these things, it was just that charity was my initial thought.

Thanks FF, that's kind of what I'm leaning toward. I don't need and really, really do not want this money-- or any more contact with my ex-boss!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

queenb - I think this may sound a bit overboard but why not just document everything you have told us about in a file on your computer, send the card & the money back saying thanks but no thanks best of luck in the future, and please even though you are a nice person, do not contact me in any way in the future. This way IF he does try to contact you, you could if need be get a restraining order. May be a little heavy handed, but better to be safe than sorry.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I agree with gabriel. Send it back. I think accepting it - whether you give it to charity or whatever - will send him an encouraging message. Do keep records (or just copy and paste your post to a Word document) in case you need it. Sounds to me like someone has had a serious crush on you for the longest time. It may not be anything creepy at all.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread