+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Premium Member
    Bless little Ashley's sweet heart. I pray her daddy comes home safely. I keep hoping and praying that my son's National Guard unit doesn't get deployed, I don't know how these families get through it. It would be my worst nightmare.

I know this problem isn't anywhere near as major as Broadway's situation (which is very sad nonetheless ) but I feel like I need to vent a little bit.

I just recently got my computer fixed and of course, I had to save my files before we had to send the computer in to get fixed. We got the computer back a few days ago and I tried opening up the disc in which my files were on...but I came to discover that a huge chunk of my files got lost. All of my stories, all of my pictures, my songs...gone.

I hate viruses.
    If you really did love music, you wouldn't limit yourself to just one genre.

This is more of a nuisance thing than anything important.
    Our montly financial statements were somewhat late this month, mostly because there were some strange looking numbers that our cost accounting manager couldn't figure out, so he passed the buck onto a couple of other people to straighten out. We did get them out last night, with only a couple of emails from our head office asking if we were ever going to be finished.
    Well after they were emailed, our cost accounting manager, who doubles as our resident idiot, realized that he forgot to make an adjustment to our sales. The adjustment was necessary because of some glinch in our computer system in June. The costing guy knew about it, he just forgot. Since the error was for about $250,000 we couldn't just ignore it. So we had to contact our head office (who were already upset with us for being late) to let them know that the information we sent them was wrong. It took us almost the whole day today to redo all the work we had to do. Our cost accountant's response to all this was to try to find someone else to blame.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

I haven't been in here in a while, and Broadway your story had me tear up, too. The children suffer the most during times like this, and they don't understand any of it. Heck, we adults don't understand it either, for that matter.

JenTheSurvivah, I hate viruses too (loaned my laptop to a friend - won't do that again ). I'm sorry this happened to you.

Quote Originally Posted by William13 View Post
    This is more of a nuisance thing than anything important.
    Our montly financial statements were somewhat late this month, mostly because there were some strange looking numbers that our cost accounting manager couldn't figure out, so he passed the buck onto a couple of other people to straighten out. We did get them out last night, with only a couple of emails from our head office asking if we were ever going to be finished.
    Well after they were emailed, our cost accounting manager, who doubles as our resident idiot, realized that he forgot to make an adjustment to our sales. The adjustment was necessary because of some glinch in our computer system in June. The costing guy knew about it, he just forgot. Since the error was for about $250,000 we couldn't just ignore it. So we had to contact our head office (who were already upset with us for being late) to let them know that the information we sent them was wrong. It took us almost the whole day today to redo all the work we had to do. Our cost accountant's response to all this was to try to find someone else to blame.
    You sound surprised. Seriously, don't you hate working with incompetent people like that? I mean everyone makes mistakes, but to forget $250,000? The worst part is, the whole team ends up looking foolish. You don't deserve that. :nono
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

William 13: Oh that is just awful. Not much more you could have done. It's really frustrating when you rely on someone with your business and they mess it all up. FYI, our Catholic School Board made an accounting error. They're now in debt by $10 million dollars. Ooopsy

JentheSurvivah: Oh, that's so sad about all of your songs and photos. Did you take the disc in to another place and see if anything could be recovered? That happened with my photo disc from my camera. At first nothing showed up and then they managed to retrieve it all with a specific program.
    --------

Well, I got a call from London Drugs about my digital camera that my sweetie bought me (you may recall, I got water on it and fritzed). Well, it's going to cost me $250 plus GST to fix. I had no choice. It would be $500 to buy new. Not Happy.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Once again this is more of an annoyance than actual troubles. It certainly doesn't compare with someone being ill or losing their job.
    Today, after I was feeling that monthend was actually over, our controller noticed that one of our departmental nuisances (not the one mentioned above, someone lower in the pecking order and fortunately for him currently on vacation) had charged something to the wrong account, understating our sales by $200,000. So we had to everything a third time. This time our head office decided that now would be a good time to have us rearrange some of our statements (at the same time telling us to hurry up and get it done already). Since we have to provide hard copies as well as electronic copies I think that they had to cut down a redwood to provide us with all the paper needed for all the various versions I printed off this week. In the midst of all this, our resident idiot, mentioned in my previous post, came in to see if I could set up a new cost centre on the computer for him. He has access to all the menus and options on our computer system that I do. The difference is that I am willing to try to figure our how to do things, while he believes that it is always easier to ask someone else to do it. (He's been there 5 years and says that he has an MBA. When it is suggested that perhaps he is not pulling his weight, his answer is that he wasn't trained properly when he started. For some reason, both our previous controller and our present one think that is a reasonable argument. My thought is that people have graduated from medical school in less time than it is taking for him to be trained).
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Well, I got a call from London Drugs about my digital camera that my sweetie bought me (you may recall, I got water on it and fritzed). Well, it's going to cost me $250 plus GST to fix. I had no choice. It would be $500 to buy new. Not Happy.
    That is a real bummer about your camera. When you do get it back, you should get one of those small dry-sacks from a camping/travel store. I have one that I keep rolled up in my purse to put my camera, wallet and cell phone in if it starts to rain (or if I'm carrying a water bottle in my bag ). I also have a large one that I put my back pack and/or purse in when I'm cycling. I hate it when stuff we own gets ruined by the stuff we need to keep us alive.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

JentheSurvivah: Oh, that's so sad about all of your songs and photos. Did you take the disc in to another place and see if anything could be recovered? That happened with my photo disc from my camera. At first nothing showed up and then they managed to retrieve it all with a specific program.
    I haven't thought of that but luckily my friend still had some of the pictures and stories that I had sent him and he was able to resend them to me.
    If you really did love music, you wouldn't limit yourself to just one genre.

William13: I have learned that university degrees do not necessarily equal common sense or good work ethics.

Rattus: thank you! I'm going to check into that dry sack thingy.

JenTheSurvivah: I'll bet he's a "special friend"
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    William13: I have learned that university degrees do not necessarily equal common sense or good work ethics.
    OH boy is that true! I've known several people that were so hugely book smart but couldn't have come in out of the rain.

And that picture I posted of me in San Francisco with the Golden Gate Bridge behind me? My college degree holding cousin actually asked me:

"Beautiful landscape, where is it?" OK, not everyone's been to SF, but good lord, you have seen it in countless movies and tv. Arguably one of the most famous bridges in the world.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread