+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1359Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Gabriel, my son got his camera wet two weeks ago, on a camping trip, and when he got home he got on the website and they suggested the hair dryer thing. He did it and it worked. He took more pictures on last weekends camping trip.

So, misskitty, I really hope that works for you. Good luck with it.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    A lot of horse & buggy stealing going on or greasing up the wagon seat?

Oh, you are so bad! I am not THAT old, but it was a *itch having to hand crank those Model T's!!!!

But just for that comment, I am sending Catholic school cooties to you.

We used to fill up peoples gym shoes and put them in the deep freeze in the cafeteria. We didn't have full time cafeteria help, so it was easy to get in the kitchen unnoticed.
    And we um, well, um, got in the sacrificial wine and wafers one time. There were other exploits, but I was not a part of them. One guy turned off the power to the whole school during recess, so we got to stay out longer while the nuns and other teachers ran around calling the power company and trying to figure out what happened. The boys used to climb in the ceiling and crawl over to the girls bathroom to peek (we had those foam tile ceilings), what was funny was one boy came crashing down from the ceiling on top of one of the girls.

Yeah it was mostly harmless stuff. Nothing compared to now.

And Gabriel, you better watch out cause I am going to get you for that age comment.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    My trouble today is that my water bottle accidentally spilled in my purse and got water on my digital camera
    Like everybody said, let it dry out. My sister spilled water all over her Mac notebook and she just turned it upside down, open and let it dry out. There was no problem after it dried out but don't try to fool with it while it is still wet. That will NOT be good. If it still doesn't work, you've got to call the manufacturer or go to their web site or visit a place that actually fixes digital cameras before you know if all hope is lost. I don't know the company London Drugs, but the name doesn't scream "camera knowledge" (but I'm not in Canada or even close, so I could be waaaay off base).

Oh misskitty, I feel for you. What a tough decision to make. You have the choice of maybe getting a better education for your daughter at the expense of her happiness. Unfortunately, though, I would side with your daughter on this one. If she's already getting good grades and his happy and doesn't want to switch schools, I think it would be terrible to force her into a situation she's not comfortable with. A person can get good scholarships in a public school. And her choice might not influence your younger daughters. I know that it is ultimately your decision, but she's old enough to have a say in the matter now. It might be a great opportunity, but as others have pointed out, there are AP classes in public schools that will give students a jump in college. And if she gets involved in lots of extra-curricular activites, more the better. I just can't imagine uprooting my own daughter from a situation she's comfortable in on the offchance that she might get a slight advantage on college applications.

Leo
    Premium Member
    stinkerbell, I came from a Catholic grade school but went back to a public high school. My advice is, if it ain't broke don't fix it. It is a different kind of environment in a Catholic school. If your daughter is used to a public school environment and likes it there, she may not adjust all that well to a Catholic school.

Stinkerbell I agree with Leo. I went to Catholic school for elementary, middle and high school. I feel that I got an excellent education and when I went to college I felt more prepared than a lot of the people around me. I did wear a uniform and it was really not that bad. One thing to remember though is that Catholic schools are usually much smaller than public schools and most, not all of the kids grow up together going to school together.

I don't know how big the area you are from but the high school I went to had a merging of all the catholic elementary schools. At the start of high school there were lots of people who did not know each other coming from different schools all over the city. Like Leo said, one thing to really remember is it's a totally different environment than public school. She needs to be ready for that change if you are going to make her switch.
    Last edited by Yardgnome; 06-29-2006 at 04:04 PM.

stinkerbell: see post from burntbrat..I think her reply was meant for you

Well, I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is I took my camera into London Drugs (which has a good camera/computer service dept.) The photos did not download initially from my memory chip but they were able to retrieve them all using some other program onto a CD somehow. All 230 of them. Whew!

The bad news is that because I heard a static-ky sound, the water may have FRIED the camera. A new battery doesn't work and it looks like there may be salt or something formed on the inside from the reaction. They have sent it away to Canon to see what can be done. It may be TOAST. As in totally, unfixable and unuseable I am SO not happy right now.

Somebody bring me some cake.....and chocolate .......and ice cream. That might make me feel better.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Hot fudge cake, with whipped cream, maybe?

I hope the camera can be resuscitated. Good luck with that.

To anyone who may get something electrical/electronic/digital wet by accident: DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT turn it ON, pull out any batteries, cards etc etc leave the little doors open and let it dry. If you hold it up and water drips out of it, keep holding it like that until the drip subsides, then use a hair dryer on warm blowing into the unit to try to speed drying, or let it sit & drain for at least two days to dry. If you do not havea hair dryer a fan will work.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome View Post
    Stinkerbell I agree with Leo. I went to Catholic school for elementary, middle and high school. I feel that I got an excellent education and when I went to college I felt more prepared than a lot of the people around me. I did wear a uniform and it was really not that bad. One thing to remember though is that Catholic schools are usually much smaller than public schools and most, not all of the kids grow up together going to school together.

I don't know how big the area you are from but the high school I went to had a merging of all the catholic elementary schools. At the start of high school there were lots of people who did not now each other coming from different schools all over the city. Like Leo said, one thing to really remember is it's a totally different environment than public school. She needs to be ready for that change if you are going to make her switch.
    Speaking as someone who changed schools a LOT, a merge year is actually a bad time to change schools. Everyone is scared due to the merge and the larger school and they cling to their old friends. No one knows you are new, they just think you went to one of the other feeder schools, so even the people who normally go out of their way to be nice to the new kids don't, because they don't recognize you as new.
    I think Stinkerbell thinks this is about more than college aps and which school is moving faster in math, etc. She likes the religion in school part, and there's no way the public school can compete on that issue. My guess is that unless the Catholic school was way worse than the public school that gives the Catholic school the edge for her. If she and her husband's family feel the same way then presumably they have tranmitted their religious values to their daughter and can use that argument to win her over. Otherwise, unless the public school is way worse academically, I think they have an uphill battle going.
    Gabriel--thanks for the wet electronics info!

+ Reply to Thread