+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1684Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Honey, no one here is trying to make you out to be a maggot. I just know that you're very young and probably see everything in black and white. You just have to realize that there are many grey areas. Young people (yes, I WAS one) seem to take everything too seriously. From what you're saying here, we are to believe that, for some obscure reason the librarian has taken it upon herself to make your life miserable. Now, I have to ask, why?

You have already said that you've made up your mind to hate her, so maybe you're not seeing events clearly. That's one reason to ask your mom to go with you once or twice, so that she can sort of check out the situation.

And believe me, if age had anything to do with it, I would be a genius by now, but I'm still just plodding along like every one else.

ANTM, I often am in the library with my daughter after school, and the librarians there are flooded with tweens and teens all competing for the computers. It's not their job to be babysitters, but the reality of many parents feeling that the library is a safe destination for their children after school rather than coming home to an empty house means that the librarians are put in the position of mediating fights and enforcing rules. Library positions require college degrees these days, and a lot of these people are a little bitter that their education has landed them in a daily babysitting spot.

I am not saying you fall into the troublemaker category, but unless you distinguish yourself from the other people your age using a computer to pursue frivolous pastimes (games, Top Model, etc.), you're probably lumped in there with them.

I think Muduh's advice to go with your mom is great advice. It would help your mother scope out the situation for herself, but it would probably raise you in the librarian's eyes, too.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    Library positions require college degrees these days, and a lot of these people are a little bitter that their education has landed them in a daily babysitting spot.
    Not just a four year degree but a master's degree in addition and only from a college accredited by the ALA! I've been considering it and debating whether to move forward. There are some ground level postions like being a Page where you don't need a degree at all but they are usually minimum wage and for highschool kids looking for a part-time job.

ANTM Mega Fan, It's probably best to just avoid this particular librarian. Try to use a computer not near her desk if possible or one that isn't facing her so you don't have to see each other. As long as you follow the rules, she may just forget all about you in time, but only if you allow yourself to slip quietly into the crowd and not stand out. More than likely you'd be the one banned from coming instead of her losing her job if there are any more incidents involving her. Just keep your distance and not pay her any attention. Enjoy all the books you're surrounded by!

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Hey myRosiedog - it's past lunchtime so I hope everything went well today. Like Muduh, my life is what meal is next, so I thought about you while making my lunch today! Hope it all went well.

giz
    Got home to find a call from the bank saying that they let my mum take out her last $200. She gave it to her toe-rag grandson who has likely spent it on drugs. She has Alzheimer's and does not remember having given him any other money (she's given him $15,000 in three months).

The bank promised me they would call the police if she tried to take out over $40, but it turns out they lied! Thank you bank. Now she has no money for food, or utilities. The police won't pick him up even though there's a restraining order as she can't be a witness because of her memory. Great, aye?

Giz...I think you're a very strong woman for all of the things you go through. My relationship with my mother isn't the strongest, and I can barely deal with that. I think that you have the inner strength to get through your innermost problems. My best wishes, through and through.

Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    Got home to find a call from the bank saying that they let my mum take out her last $200. She gave it to her toe-rag grandson who has likely spent it on drugs. She has Alzheimer's and does not remember having given him any other money (she's given him $15,000 in three months).

The bank promised me they would call the police if she tried to take out over $40, but it turns out they lied! Thank you bank. Now she has no money for food, or utilities. The police won't pick him up even though there's a restraining order as she can't be a witness because of her memory. Great, aye?
    Someone in your family needs to talk to a lawyer and get power of attorney, or whatever you do, because if she has anything left now, she won't for long. It's just a matter of time till he'll be back and need more. She'll be sitting in an empty house, until that's gone, too.

What about this addicts family? Can't they do anything?

And I would think that if it's proven that she's not of sound mind, they certainly could do something to him. Wouldn't get her money back but it might get him put away.

Bless you all.

FORT Newbie

Girl trouble

I recently met a girl. We spent 8 hours together the day of our first date and then we saw each other the next two days after that. Great, right? I was pretty convinced that we were both really excited about it. Now I can't get her to say yes or no as to whether she's busy or wants to make plans and she's starting to talk about "having space". We just met last week. How can someone change gears so quickly, or is that an excuse for something else?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    djcait, she's just not that into you. I'd move on if I were you.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by djcait View Post
    I recently met a girl. We spent 8 hours together the day of our first date and then we saw each other the next two days after that. Great, right? I was pretty convinced that we were both really excited about it. Now I can't get her to say yes or no as to whether she's busy or wants to make plans and she's starting to talk about "having space". We just met last week. How can someone change gears so quickly, or is that an excuse for something else?
    Sometimes people get a little scared when things move too quickly. Yes, there can be excitement at first but then reality sets in and we need to take a step back to make sure we aren't rushing things. Men and women do this. Maybe you should just ask her if things slow down a little would she still be willing to to out with you. And she may also not be ready to just see one guy. Sorry things seem to have cooled. Give her a little space and if she's into you, she'll want to see you some more. If not, at least you won't have wasted months of your time. Just don't make her feel like you'll start stalking her or else she'll really be gone Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread