+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 1228 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637771275271027 ... LastLast
Like Tree1692Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    this is the way it seems to be in my house now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My daughter's wedding was yesterday. We managed to put a formal wedding together on a wing and a prayer in about 6 weeks time, and even though we were rushed it turned out beautifully.

My daughter was so beautiful when she walked down the aisle in her white beaded off the shoulder satin wedding gown. She had fresh daises in her hair and carried a bouquet of wildflowers. The groom was so handsome - I couldn't keep from crying. His father, an ordained Minister, married them. It was the first wedding he had ever performed, and the groom was his only son. The pride in his eyes was unmistakable, and he teared up once but was able to go on.

The reception was held at the church, and it captured my daughter's spirit perfectly. The tables had glitter dusted on them, and white and yellow daisies were strewn across the tables; there were Simpson pez dispensers and bubbles and yellow and blue ribbons and votive candles in little jelly jars. So whimsical. A band was set up to play.

My new son-in-laws father (the minister) walked into the reception and had a heart attack. Guests performed CPR but he died at the hospital a short time later. The bride and groom never cut the wedding cake or opened the gifts; they hadn't even finished with pictures when it happened.

I feel so horrible for the family, and for my daughter. I am just in shock. I just can't even express how bad I feel. I felt like a voyeur at such a private family moment. His wife was just screaming, the groom was crying - many family members from out of town were there and I hardly knew them at all. I didn't know how to comfort them. Several of my friends knelt and we prayed. I felt hands touching my back as others joined in - I don't even know who they were but I heard voices all around me as we prayed.

After the father was taken to the hospital we removed everything from the tables, put up the untouched food and carried all the gifts to my daughter's apartment. Afterward I went to the hospital, but I already knew he was dead, as one of the family members remained behind at the church and was on the cell phone constantly.

After comforting my daughter the best that I could I went home. My husband and son were bouncing off the walls, and the phone was ringing constantly. The florist had dropped the flower arrangements off at my home ( I wish she had left them at the church - they're just dying here and it's a sad memory).

This morning I spoke with my daughter (about 50 times). She said she and her new husband went to the church alone at about 1:00 am, cut the cake and had a piece, and played one song and danced together to it. I don't even know what song it was. Bittersweet.

I just can't quit crying... I think I just need to take a Valium and go to bed. They headed out this morning for the Dad's home - they live about 12 hours away- and I am so worried for everyone in that sad caravan.

I hope so many things - I hope the photographer got pictures of the groom and his dad together, I hope he didn't suffer, and I hope everyone knows how grateful I am for their prayers and assistance. I just don't know what to say when people call. And part of me feels guilty because I just hate that my daughter's wedding was ruined. And I feel so petty for that. *sigh* and now the phone is ringing again so I must go answer it.

Oh Dina-

My deepest sympathies. I'm absolutely at a loss for words. A giant hug and shoulder going out to you and your family.

You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

FORT Fogey
    Dinahann... my deepest sympathies as well.
    All I know to say is that you don't have to feel guilty that you hate that your daughter's wedding was ruined. Anyone would feel that way.

Thanks, speedbump and touque. I appreciate my FoRt buddies so much. It's so comforting to know I can talk about my sadness with good friends who care.

FORT Fogey
    Oh Dinahann, I'm speechless. I am so, so, so sorry that your daughter's new father-in-law passed away.

I'm so sorry that you and all of your family is suffering so much right now.

Just know that you're in my prayers and I'm here for you if you ever need to "talk" (via forum or pm).

Please take good care and keep us informed on how you're doing or if you need anything.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Oh Dina -- I'm so very sorry. I don't even know what to say. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    Dinahann, I'm really sorry about everything that happened and about how you and your family feel right now.

I don't really know what to say either, but you're in my prayers too, and you can PM me or Pom or probably anyone if you need to.

Dinah, my condolences to you and your family. The only thing I can think to say is just think how happy and proud the groom's father was in his final moments as he got to marry his son and spend that time with the people he loved, his family, and doing God's calling. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    Dinah, my condolences to you and your family. The only thing I can think to say is just think how happy and proud the groom's father was in his final moments as he got to marry his son and spend that time with the people he loved, his family, and doing God's calling. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Very well said Unk. I am so sorry to hear that Dinah. I don't really know what else to say.

+ Reply to Thread