+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1777Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

You continue to be in my prayers, Star.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Star, keep positive and stay strong. I don't pray much, but I'll definitely say a few for you this weekend.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by jasbeck93 View Post
    Stinker, have you had your thyroid check? That can really make you gain/lose weight. Meds can really make you gain weight as well. Good luck, and don't give up.

I haven't had my thyroid checked in awhile, but I have suspected that it might be that, and then got a little discouraged when the test came back okay. The next time I go to the Dr. I'm going to insist that I get a full thyroid test done- not just the standard. Even before I was put on medication my weight was adding up for no reason. Thanks for the reminder!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    So, that's the news. Not the best, but not the worst yet. So that's encouraging. Still I'm more than a little freaked, despite the odds being with me that its nothing. It's going to be a very long four days, I know that.
    Aw Star, I'm so sorry that you don't have a definitive answer full of good news -- yet.

I spent the day with Gutmutter yesterday and we chatted lots about you (in a good way!!), so you can count on it when I say that you're all covered with prayers and good wishes out here in Massachusetts.

The waiting stinks. I went through this whole battery of tests a couple of years ago and finally I had good news, so I'm praying that your situation ends the very same way.

Meanwhile, try to relax this weekend, get outside as much as possible if the weather allows it, and maybe rent a bunch of fun movies so you can keep your mind off things. I always find that heading to the park with a bunch of stuff to feed the ducks cheers me up, so maybe you and the little Gazer can do that.

Take care, and know that we're all here for you. Please keep us posted and let me know if you need anything at all.

Pom you always know just what to say to people to make them feel better and I can never add anything more than a "you're in my thoughts and prayers" or "get well soon"! You are such a great cyberfriend! I hope I don't have anything serious crop up anytime soon but if it does I know I can always hear the right encouragement from you and everyone else here.

Stargazer, Guttmutter, Muduh, Stinkerbell, and anyone I may have missed - I'm thinking of you and hoping everything in each of your situations gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    My *troubles* aren't quite as serious as everyone else's (Thank God and prayers to you myrosiedog, malibupam and stargazer) but I have a question. I've been trying desperately to lose weight since the new year. I live in a really hilly area, so I've been walking daily (and hard) for over two months, with wieghts on my wrists, for an hour a day, and sometimes twice a day. I was so disappointed that at my last doctor's appt. I had lost a total of....3 lbs!... I have since gotten a scale and my weight has been fluctuating within 5 lbs. every day. Anyway, I was so upset and frustrated! Then, while I was at the doctor, he gave me another perscription that I will take for about 3 months. The side effects listed are weight gain, weakness, and moon face! Of course, that is just what I need- WEIGHT GAIN AND MOON FACE! So, my question is: I think one of the problems with my non weight loss is because of the medication, and will the weight drop off faster when I'm done taking it, or will I have to work even harder? What is *weight gain* from medication anyway? water or fat? It upsets me and then I wonder why I even bother walking my a** off (I wish) when the medication is keeping me from losing it.
    And, just so you know, I am not some skinny minny- my goal is to lose between 40 and 60 lbs. so it isn't a tiny amount. Does anyone have any advice on what to expect now or after I'm done with the medication. (he put me on a medication last Nov. that I am still taking, and I think that is not helping either)
    Stinkerbell --- A lot of times when people start exercising they get frustrated because it seems that they are not losing weight but gaining or losing a minimal amount. What a lot of people don't understand is that you may be losing fat tissue but you are gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat.. so that is really a good thing It takes awhile for the real effects to be seen from exercising as far as weight loss. Keep up the exercise if it is okay with the doctor for you to keep going!

As far as the daily fluctuation in weight, it is actually quite normal to fluctuate that much each day due to water balance really... if you have to weigh yourself each day it is recommended that you do it at the same time every morning wearing exactly the same thing every day. The med that the doctor gave you sounds a lot to me like a steroid (someone had said prednisone which is a steroid) but it could be something else -- is it a blood pressure medication perhaps? Anyhow you don't have to say but if the med does say it causes weight gain, you can probably expect it but you might want to ask your doctor if there is a certain amount that needs to be reported to him, like say over 5lb gain per week. I believe that the weight gain from steroids (and some BP meds) is from water retention - and this has to do with a whole physiological process between sodium and potassium; your body retains the sodium, releases the potassium, but the water follows the sodium so it stays in the body too (if that makes sense for you). So if this is causing the fluid retention, you would probably want to avoid a lot of salt in your diet to help minimize the effects. You can ask the doctor for specifics on this, and there are low-salt diet guides out there, like the DASH diet, or even medications to help you get rid of the excess fluid if he feels like you might need one.

Also I am pretty sure that moon face (which is swelling over the entire face making it round like a full moon) while a potential side effect is not something that they would want to happen.. I would ask your doctor or the nurse in the office to explain about the medication completely. Alot of medications have side effects that should be reported and moon face is usually one of them. Best thing you can do about a medication is to be informed, know what it is doing for you, and know what to expect and what to do if things come up, whether expected or not.

MRD
    Our very, very good friend passed away today from a 3 year long battle with mouth cancer. While he was suffering an ungodly amount and it is a blessing that that is over. It's still just so sad and I'm shell shocked by it.

He was only 39. And I could not be with his wife, my very best friend in all the world, because of the surgery I just had, so have been home all day knowing this was happening and dreading the phone to ring.

She had not told their children yet when I talked to her, but she seemed to be in remarkedly good spirits, but she's been through his horrible disfigurement and suffering and now knows he's at peace.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

How sad, but thank God, it's over. That poor man had no life to speak of, did he? You just know that he was more than ready to go. I hope the end wasn't as traumatic as we were afraid it might be.

You take care of yourself first. She is going to need you for a long time to come. Let others take up the slack right now.

Oh, so sorry to hear that about your friend myrosiedog - I've been keeping up with your updates and I'm sorry that it happened during your recovery. I know you wish you could be there to comfort her and I'm sure she knows you would if you could. It's very sad but like you said, he isn't suffering anymore. You can take comfort in knowing what a good friend you've been to both of them during this hard time.

I'm so sorry about your loss, rosiedog. In some situations, it does almost seem to be a relief when its finally over. My prayers will be with your friend that her and her children are able to move on and find some happiness.

Good luck in continuing to recover from your surgery as well.

On a personal note, thanks to everyone for their continued support. I"m pretty nervous about tomorrow but you guys have all helped me to feel much better about things.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread