+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

My trouble is money. I managed it badly this month and I didn't think I was doing that badly. But now that I look at it, I made some errors that I'll spend the next 3 months trying to catch up on.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I got a speeding ticket yesterday. And I have a tail / brake light out. My b/f tried to see how to take the cover off to replace it and the manual says to take it to the dealer. I will have to do that sometime today.

I don't know if this qualifies as troubles since it turned out ok in the end (at least for me). I was woken up about 5:45 this morning by the fire alarm in my building. The fire alarm going off is a regular feature of living in this building (one of the reasons I am preparing to move), so I thought that it was just another nuisance false alarm and did not hurry to go outside. I got dressed and took a couple of things just in case it was a real fire. As soon as I got into the hallway I thought I could smell smoke. As I went down the stairs (I live on the 9th floor) the smell of smoke got stronger and by the time I got to the ground floor I was coughing a bit.
    Since it was cold outside and so early many of the residents were gathered in the lobby, some of them in bathrobes. The fire department wanted us out of the lobby so they would have more room to move in and out more freely. They suggested that we wait in the lobby in the building across the street. Since I had my winter coat I waited and watched in the parking lot for a while. I could not see the fire department pumping water and although there were lots of fire department personnel and police and paramedics there did not seem to a great deal of urgency. Then the police told us that they had arranged for a couple of buses to be parked around the corner. They said that it would be a while before we would be allowed back in the building, so at least in the buses we could stay warm.
    We were let in a few hours later. The fire had been contained to a single bedroom on the second floor. Last I heard they were investigating what had started the fire. Sadly, one man passed away in the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    Not really big in comparison to some of your troubles but I've been pretty bummed all day. We returned home from California where I've been with my family for 3 weeks. While it'll be nice to sleep on my own pillow, I miss my family terribly. We shared a long, tearful good-bye at the airport. There were so many of us there that I'm sure people wondered what was going on. They waited and watched as we went through security and then stood waving until we were out of sight. I keep thinking that this isn't the way it's supposed to be. Families should be together! I've teared up a several times today just thinking about it. Even my 4yo is a little bummed. She crawled into my lap earlier, said that she missed everyone, and asked why they lived so far away. At least I'll be busy packing for the next few days. (We close on our new house Thursday.) It'll be a good distraction.
    It's been a couple of days since you got home, lidago, so how are you doing now? Your post touched a spot within me for a couple of reasons, especially the line "...this isn't the way it's supposed to be. Families should be together!"

Right now, my partner, Sally, is 5280 miles away from me, and has been since 3 days before Christmas, when her mum called her up and "surprised" her with an e-ticket back home. She could NOT refuse it, since it was already paid for and was just lucky that her boss allowed her to go, with NO warning, for 9 days.

I'm sure that Sally's parents feel exactly the way that your post said you did: "Why did our daughter have to move? Why does our daughter insist on living not only away from us but on another continent?!"

And parents and sisters and brothers have been asking themselves this question for centuries, as they saw loved ones board ships or carts pulled by oxen as their beloved children and grandchildren went away from their loving arms and eyes. I come from immigrant stock (Finland and Sweden) and neither of my grand parents ever went back home, to the "Old Country" to attend weddings, birthdays or funerals. It just wasn't done in those days and more importantly, it just couldn't be afforded. When all of ones income was used for steerage passage aboard a ship to America and the wagon train to take you to the wilds of Minnesota and the Dakotas, you knew, when you waved "Good Bye", that it meant Good. Bye.

So, why do some people do it and others don't? Hope of a better life, for some, which was Sally's reasoning. She says she "didn't fit" into her surroundings in Scotland and although proud of her country, she has wanted to live in the freedom of America her entire life. For others, boredom or lack of work or religious persecution....or just some unexplainable wanderlust to see places that you've never seen before. And for each person who was happy in their new surroundings, they left behind a family who missed them terribly.

All I can say about your pain, lildago, is thanks to the 21st Century, you have the luxury of phone plans for unlimited calls, emails, webcams and digital cameras, plus cheap air fares so you can stay in contact with your family. Our relatives who settled the U.S. had a postage stamp, maybe, if they were lucky.

As the old adage goes, "Bloom where you are planted", and look forward to your family possibly spending some time in your new home and therefore bringing their love to you in new surroundings. Sure hope that you are feeling better, though. My heart goes out to you.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

These aren't really my troubles, they just scared the heck out of me.

My best friend, who is a couple of months younger than me, just found out that she is going to be a grandma in August. She is only 34.

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    As the old adage goes, "Bloom where you are planted", and look forward to your family possibly spending some time in your new home and therefore bringing their love to you in new surroundings. Sure hope that you are feeling better, though. My heart goes out to you.
    Thanks, lambikins! You're a sweetheart! I am feeling better. And you're right about the luxuries of our century. I have an unlimited cell phone plan that alows me to talk to my family frequently.

When does Sally return? I'm sure you'll be happy to have her home!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago View Post
    Thanks, lambikins! You're a sweetheart! I am feeling better. And you're right about the luxuries of our century. I have an unlimited cell phone plan that alows me to talk to my family frequently.

When does Sally return? I'm sure you'll be happy to have her home!
    Sally comes back on the 3rd...nine long days ago. I finally heard from her this morning at 5:15 am; it was the very first time that her parents had left her alone since she got to the U.K.!!!

To her Parents:" For crying out loud...she's TWENTY SIX YEARS OLD, GAY MARRIAGE IS NOW LEGAL IN YOUR COUNTRY AND YOUR DAUGHTER IS H.A.P.P.Y.!!!!

Get the HELL over it and celebrate your daughter's uniqueness! You still have two straight "breeders" to fawn over!"
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Sally comes back on the 3rd...nine long days ago. I finally heard from her this morning at 5:15 am; it was the very first time that her parents had left her alone since she got to the U.K.!!!

To her Parents:" For crying out loud...she's TWENTY SIX YEARS OLD, GAY MARRIAGE IS NOW LEGAL IN YOUR COUNTRY AND YOUR DAUGHTER IS H.A.P.P.Y.!!!!

Get the HELL over it and celebrate your daughter's uniqueness! You still have two straight "breeders" to fawn over!"
    Good Lord! - Talk about smothering someone, well at least you'll get to see her on the 3rd AT LAST!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Premium Member
    lambi - That's the day after tomorrow. Just think of the reunion you two will have and maybe that will make the separation seem not quite so hard.

The first time they left her alone??? Poor thing!

Only 2 more days, lambi! Hang in there.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

+ Reply to Thread