+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Geek. You are absolutely doing the right thing in getting it checked out. It probably is nothing, but young women do get breast cancer and a doctor should NEVER blow you off when you come to them with a lump.

I feel for you. I'm still (relatively) young but all the women on my mom's side of the family have had breast cancer - I feel like a ticking time bomb.

Keep us updated.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Geek. You are absolutely doing the right thing in getting it checked out. It probably is nothing, but young women do get breast cancer and a doctor should NEVER blow you off when you come to them with a lump.

I feel for you. I'm still (relatively) young but all the women on my mom's side of the family have had breast cancer - I feel like a ticking time bomb.

Keep us updated.
    truly- Do not let that go anymore. Even though your chances are GREAT of it being nothing, it is best to check. Good luck!
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

Thanks for your support, AJane and JAFO'S PRINCESS I'm doing some online research right now, which probably isn't the best thing to do since I'm a big time hypochondriac. (Ever see Hannah and her Sisters? Most people I know laughed at Woody Allen's character; I completely identified with him ) I'll call the hospital as soon as the phone lines open tomorrow morning and this time, I won't take no for an answer - I'm not going to hang up until I get an appointment. It infuriates me to think about how easy-going doctors tend to be about young women finding lumps in their breasts. Yes, the chances of it being anything serious are slim, but they're there, and it's their goddamned responsibility to make sure we get some answers. If you're, like me, terrified of hospitals and doctors (let's just say that hospitals haven't been a happy place for me and my family), you're going to make up any excuse not to go to a hospital. If the doctors actually present you with an excuse, it's even worse. But don't worry, I'll get this thing checked out and hopefully, I'll be able to have a merry and peaceful Christmas.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

It sounds like you have exactly the right attitude geek the girl. Don't back down until you get that appointment.

Geek, you absolutely should not take "no" for an answer. :nono Young women CAN get breast cancer and can die from it. I have fibrocystic breast disease and found a lump when I was only twenty. Like you, I was infuriated at how cavalier the doctors were about even looking at it. I switched doctors until I found one that took it seriously. She told me that if you have cysts, you should be extra vigilant because cancerous lumps can so easily go undetected. She also told me that every lump should be taken seriously, no matter how old the woman is.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Geek, you are doing the right thing. You need to take care of yourself. Keep us updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    Well, no rest on the horizon. My daughter has such a snotty nose, she can't sleep. I'm crossing my fingers she'll be over it by her birthday.
    Star, Have you tried having her sleep on pillows that elevate her head and chest and used Vick's vapor rub to keep her breathing better?

Gut (Goot), If I lived closer I'd take that experimental medicine from you to "save you from yourself".

Where do I start...?

Well...just a while ago my mom got a phone call that her nail salon has caught on fire due to some christmas lights she strung up. So right now, she's off to see the amount of damage done and such... and I'm just thinking to myself, what now? I'm currently employed at ToysRUs in a seasonal position, so I just started like a week or so ago. And usually, I would give my mom half my paycheck so I can help with the bill and such, since my mom is a single parent, that works in the profession of nails, which doesnt bring in alot of money. I use to give her so much crap about her taking my money from my paycheck, telling her things like "Why does half my money go to you? I'm making money for me, not you" "If you didn't want or have the money support me, then you shouldn't have had me, its not my business to pay off bills for you" etc etc. I would just disrespect her so much, and now that this has happened...I just don't know...I just feel so bad, I give her so little credit for all she's done for me and my sister, and I dont even mean to say those things to her. My mom has been through so much, from escaping from the Vietnam war with my sister, to dealing with my abusive father while having me, I can go on and on about this, but basically, I just cant comprehend why my mom would have to go so much...and now this happens, it just breaks my heart...I dont know where my family goes from here, of course there's insurance, but we all know how they work...well...enough with ranting, I'm thinking of driving up to her shop to be with her. *sigh*

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    This isn't nearly as bad as some of the things on here, but I have to vent a little. Last year during garage sale weekend someone backed into my car and dented the driver's door. The insurance paid to get it fixed, no problem. In October we noticed that the paint on that door was chipping off, so we took it back and got it fixed, no charge, no problem. Last month mr. gracie was waiting to get out of the parking lot at work and someone backed into the same door denting it. Their insurance paid, no problem. We got it fixed last week. Picked up the car on Thursday to be exact. I'm sure you know what's coming. I was driving down the street minding my own business when a car parked at the side of the road pulled out and dented the passenger side door. My son-in-law says the car is jinxed and we should get rid of it. Mr. gracie wants them to paint targets on the doors. The repair shop was happy to see us again. They like repeat business.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Well, I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is that I've called a hospital that specifically deals with breast exams and got an appointment. The woman I talked to was very nice and understanding. However - and this is where the bad news kicks in - with the holidays just around the corner, I wasn't able to get an appointment until a week after New Year's Eve. I can't help thinking that if I'd posed as a middle-aged woman with a family history of breast cancer (apparently, having a grandmother who died from it "doesn't count"), they would have squeezed me right in the next day. Ah well. At least I've got an appointment now, and I'll try not to think too much about it during the holidays. Thanks again for all the support and kind words.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread