+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1674Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Premium Member
    Critical - I can't even begin to remember what it was like to be an overwhelmed college student, but your crazy schedule sounds a lot like what I'm hearing from my son. He's pretty bogged down with papers due, finals, auditions and rehearsals. This last week he was in a musical and was doing Algebra backstage during intermission. Just hang in there girl, and make sure you get as much sleep as you can so you don't get sick. That would be the last thing you need right now.

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    My problems are, like, microscopic compared to everyone else's, but I really need to vent.

Tomorrow, I have to turn in:
    A history report about a Hindu god, including an essay about what it symbolizes (done), a myth made into a "children's book" (almost done), and an essay about a celebration honoring it (one paragraph done)
    A cartoon or essay about what happens when a copper chloride solution comes into contact with aluminum (have to redo because I messed it up)
    A religion essay about the Roman Catholic Church's teachings on cohabitation and sex before marriage (have to read over and add some things)

The next day there is:
    A big Spanish test, which I have to ace to bring up my grade because I forgot my homework a few times, which really brought my grade down
    A big algebra test plus homework (not started)
    An English essay about why or why not Odysseus was a good leader (not started)
    A timeline of the important events in my life, nicely decorated (not started)

I'm really stressed right now, and I'm I seriously think I'll be up all night because I have to finish everything because it's my sister's birthday tomorrow and we're going out with family. And what really scares me is that I'm only a freshman in high school, and as I get older, it's going to get a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Critical - I can't even begin to remember what it was like to be an overwhelmed college student, but your crazy schedule sounds a lot like what I'm hearing from my son. He's pretty bogged down with papers due, finals, auditions and rehearsals. This last week he was in a musical and was doing Algebra backstage during intermission. Just hang in there girl, and make sure you get as much sleep as you can so you don't get sick. That would be the last thing you need right now.
    Thanks Marleybone I made sure to restock on the Airborne this past week. I definitely can't afford to be sick.
    I'm sure it's the same for all college students right about now - lots to do and no time to get it all done. The only other strike I have against me is that I'm 37, not 20. I don't have the stamina I used to have! I have the aforementioned 12-page paper (which now has over 30 sources! ), a presentation with overheads and handouts (which I have barely started) and an exam - all on the 29th, which is the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. Then I have two more papers due on the 1st - one is a review of a book I haven't gotten more than 10 pages into yet. I'll get it all done, but I'll be hopped up on caffeine and looking like hell by the end!

My major problem is that my parents will be here from Wednesday through Monday (they'll leave at maybe 5:00 a.m.) so I know I won't get as much studying done as I normally would. They're really fine with me needing to study and would be cool if I just went to the library all day, but I don't know if that will happen. I'll probably be up late every night while they're here. I wish I could just cancel Thanksgiving this year
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Premium Member
    I hear ya. I was 36 when I went off to nurse practitioner school and the only way I made it through was because I had to go out of state. It had been 15 years since I had taken any Chemistry classes and then I was cramming Organic and Biochemistry into a 3 week period. No way would I have made it through if I would have had to deal with my 5 and 8 year old kids plus all the school stuff. It sucked being away from them but the weekends I was able to come home I got absolutely no studying done.

My close friend is a teacher and she swears by the Airborne, I'm getting some for my college student son.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Oh Critical, I remember having your pain. It wasn't easy, but some how everything seemed to get done. I wish you the best of luck. I am only a pm away if you ever need to vent.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Best of luck to you, SurvivorGirl on your studies! Just take one subject at a time, and you'll get it done.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Ana,
    I'm sooooo sorry to hear about your Dad and I hope that he feels better soon. If you need anything just PM me.

CC,
    Sorry to hear about Sam. You did the right thing by putting him down hes probably in that great field in the sky playing with my dog Betsy and my hedge hog Peyote. Yes you read right hedge hog and my hubby and I got him. He died a few years later.
    Every College Student,
    God how I feel for you. My hubby and I are going back and get our Nursing Degrees.

Shaybo
    There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved- George Sand

FORT Fogey
    Just thought I'd stop in a minute to wish everyone who's dealing with troubles my very best wishes, and know that I'm thinking of you guys!!

I don't have much time to post in here these days 'cause I'm completely out of computers at home -- I've broken three in record time, and I won't be bringing home a new victim laptop until about 2 weeks from now.

So my time on here's limited, but I sneak peeks from the office whenever I can and I'm thinking of you all.

For the college students (especially Critical, whose post about Airborne came to mind earlier today): I heard a news story about the very stuff you're going through at the midpoints of semesters, and on the news they said that the best defense against illness is hand sanitizer, and plenty of it!

Those antibacterial hand sanitizers (I had a couple in Vegas, Critical -- it had nothing to do with the fact that I stayed in a room with you ) were said to be the best defense.

They said the efficacy of Airborne has not been confirmed.

So get on out there and buy your Purell or Dial or whatever kind of hand sanitizers you can, and stay healthy through mid-terms!!!

As for everyone else, please remember that we're here for you!!!

giz
    Critical, I remember all that. In a sick way I think I enjoyed it though, as it proved to myself that I can work hard when I want to. My last term of University I was working at a paying job 30 hours a week and taking a full course load. The day after my last exam I got on a plane to go to England and get married (ceremony was 6 days after my final). It was a crazy time, studying, working, writing, packing, organizing visa etc. Toughened me up for my slide into lazyness!

Haven't been here in a few days, so I am sorry if I seem self absorbed. Just worried about my 15 year old son. He has missed more days of school than he's attended. He has claimed stomach aches, swollen left eye, nauseau, etc. Took him to the doctor, and we are awaiting test results from blood tests, and an ultrasound for his liver/pancreas/gallbladder area. I am also taking him to a psychologist. So far nothing, except the girl who did the ultrasound said his gallbladder appeared swollen. I feel that he just doesn't want to go to school, but I will feel like a horrible mom if something is really wrong! My 16 year old son makes straight A's and has no problems, and has missed no school so I am confused!
    Go Tigers!

+ Reply to Thread