+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2015Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

All my best to you, Marleybone. The not knowing/waiting is such a nightmare. Keep us posted.

My aunt's viewing/funeral was this morning. I'm sure the pastor meant the reflections on her life to be uplifting, but they made me sad. They painted a picture of a women whose kids had only superficial remembrances to share about her. There were no tears. There was no gathering after the funeral to celebrate her life. There were only a few chairs set up for the service. Thankfully many people came and more chairs required.

I remember my cousin once saying that my aunt didn't like outward displays of affection. That never stopped my sisters and me from giving her a hug and a kiss when we saw her without fear of being pushed away. It shouldn't have stopped her kids either.

This whole thing made me stop and think about what my family would say about me, if I died tomorrow or how my life would be summarized.

Hope the tests come back the way you need them to Marley, I'm thinking of you.

Gee whiz Marley - I will keep you in my prayers. The insensitive nurse needs a smack upside the head-shame on her.

Marley, I'll be thinking about you. What a scary situation. Even though you know there is always a risk of this happening, it is very different when it does. You had (have) every right to be upset and pissed. I would be if my situation wasn't handled with respect. Keep us posted.

Premium Member
    dberk-I'm so sorry about your aunt. I should have said so earlier but I was wrapped up in my own little pity-party.

The EH nurse wasn't nasty to me, she was just one of those people who has a really loud, obnoxious voice and she was very flippant about the whole thing. I don't know if she was trying to lighten the mood but she showed no empathy whatsoever to how I was feeling.

Here was my conversation with her... I walked in and gave her my big red "Exposure" folder with all the paperwork in it. Her response was "oh no, not another one." I sat down and she asked the name of the patient or "source". Apparently there was some confusion with the other lady's blood sample so she called the lab. She said on the phone in that loud voice, "Hey, that sample from {name of patient} was the SOURCE. The VICTIM was Marleybone, yeah, she's an employee. I'm sending her down right now for an HIV and a HEP-C." The door was open and I know everyone in the employee health and hospital volunteer office heard everything she said. So she's still on the phone with the lab... "yeah, ok, (laughing) so that's one more out of the way." Then she hung up the phone and started waving both hands in front of her face, her glasses are halfway down her nose but she's looking up at the ceiling, and she's squealing "oooh... hot flash, hot flash". Then she started laughing hysterically. After that she got out the papers from the folder and started going over all the counseling stuff with me. She said to me in the same loud voice, "now do you KNOW that you should NOT have SEXUAL RELATIONS until all the labs are back unless you use a LATEX CONDOM." OK, so now everyone in the office knows that Marleybone is a victim who is having an HIV and Hepatitis test and isn't supposed to have sex. It's not funny but I am kind of laughing about it now. I wish you all could have seen her waving her hands in front of her face yelling "hot flash" because it was actually quite comical. At least I'm having a good time telling the story.

So anyway, here's the latest. I came home tonight to a message on our voice mail from the EH office. I knew they would not leave any test results in a message so now I have to wait and call them Monday. I'm just going to forget it over the weekend. Nothing I can do about it now so I'm going to have faith that everything will be ok.

Thanks so much everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers.

dberk - I haven't really had time until today to read all of the posts here. My condolences on the death of your aunt.

FORT Fogey
    Aw, Marleybone, I'm so, so, so sorry to read of this terrible incident. I wish there was something I could do to help you get through it.

I can say, for sure, that you'll be in my thoughts and prayers this weekend and beyond, and I seem to have lots of faith that your test results will come back negative. They have to!

Meanwhile, just know that you've got all of us here supporting you and here for you, and I know that will make a big difference as you get through this trying weekend.

I'm not only sorry about your risk of exposure, but also that you have to work with that whack-job EH you described. It must be terrible to have her in charge when things like this happen, and if I were you I would tell her supervisor(s) what you told us, because she definitely behaved unprofessionally, disrespectfully, and inappropriately with you.

I've known some crazy, annoying people like her but I run like heck and never allow them to stay in my life. I had a close call with one a couple of months ago, in fact, and I still shudder from the interaction but geez, at least it was just a passing interaction. It must suck to work with that nutty EH on a regular basis.

Hang in there, Marleypal, and please keep us posted on how you're doing!!

Premium Member
    Thanks Pommy I will be a better person when this is over. It sure does give you a new perspective on what is important in life and what is not.

My grandfather died this morning at 3am. We were all at the hospital with him. His eyes were still and he kept vomiting blood, we knew he didn't have long. Everyone's been breaking down. It hasn't been the easiest day. I just needed to get away from everyone.

My condolences to you my friend at this sad time. If you need to talk please message me.

+ Reply to Thread