+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1656Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

giz
    We are having really wierd bad luck this month with the finances. Our pipes are old and we've been having to have them snaked once a year to clear the blockage (or else sewage comes up into the basement sink! ew), but now this isn't working, and we'll have to spend about $3000 to fix the pipes, and then our yard will look like hell cause we can't afford landscaping. I'm worried we'll lose all the trees and bushes on that side.

My husband decided to clean the VCR and has somehow broken it. Now he's just come in and said the "service" lights on the car keep coming on. For pete's sake, I am getting so fed up with this. There are cosmetic things I'd like to spend my money on; like every time the weather changes or we have a slight tremor, cracks appear everywhere. Like my kids bounced on the chair one too many times (told them not to) and broke it, and now we have to cover up this big hole with a cushion. I'm fed up with feeling like white trash family in our middle class neighbourhood just because our house seems to be falling apart. (Also feel house is disloyal, because I love house, yet it keeps breaking).

Guess I need to take that full-time job if they offer it to me. (get ready for round one of Money versus Life if I do get it).

P.s. I forgot, when my potatoes had about 20 minutes left to cook in the oven today for Thanksgiving dinner, the stove decided it was tired and stopped baking. *@!!&^*%. Stove is 1947 cutie which I rescued and which my husband is itching to get rid of. I really hope it's just fuses and that this does not give him an excuse to buy a new stove. Love, love, love retro stove.
    Last edited by giz; 10-09-2005 at 10:30 PM.

Been there...more times than you know. It will get better. Platitudes aside, Happy Canadian Thanksgiving. I think we were the only ones with a turkey on the BBQ today. I remember when we got some weird bonus check for $500 and the washing machine broke the very next day...I feel your frustration but keep on truck'in.

giz
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile
    Been there...more times than you know. It will get better. Platitudes aside, Happy Canadian Thanksgiving. I think we were the only ones with a turkey on the BBQ today. I remember when we got some weird bonus check for $500 and the washing machine broke the very next day...I feel your frustration but keep on truck'in.
    Happy Thanksgiving down there. We always had Thanksgiving when I lived in England. Makes it more special somehow. I remember my single days when cheques seemed to have been spent in a more fun way. When I moved to England (the first time) the Canadian government sent me an income tax refund cheque for $500. I bought a cashmere coat (and I'm not usually extravagent with myself, but it was like free money). You're right, chin up, stiff upper lip and all that. Still, makes me grind my teeth.

Sorry to hear about your recent misfortunes, Giz. Hang in there. It will get better. I hope you get to keep the stove. Sounds like you really love it!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I remember my first bonus check, I had to buy new tires and get the brakes done. I actually cried I was so disappointed. I think I had enough left to buy a new lipstick and mascera but still, I know I had to spend the money the way I did, but I wanted to do something fun. (wow, that was close to 20 years ago)

My latest bonus check went to a mattress and box spring so I no longer have to sleep on the couch. But I totally understand the feeling of being the white trash family on the block, I have that feeling all the time. I just have to realise there are other ones out there, they are just hiding it better then I am.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I've been there myself, gotten some "extra" cash and something else happens. So now I've gotten to the point that I say to myself, "Well at least I've got the extra $$ so I don't go deeper in debt."
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I considered putting this in the animal lovers thread but I'm not feeling much love right now! For a couple months we've had squirrels living in the eaves of our house. Sometimes we hear them in the attic at night. My husband found the hole they'd chewed which was their entrance and exit into my house. He has repaired the hole twice and the little suckers(not the actual word I'm thinking, just keeping it PG13) chewed another in the same place! Yesterday I found a "recipe" online for squirrel repellant. Basically, it's Tabasco Sauce and water. So, Mr.lildago repaired it again and sprayed it with our spicy repellant. At 7:00 this morning, I hear the most God-awful commotion. It took me a minute to realize it was a squirrel either in my chimney or between the chimney and wall space. The sound was it's nails scraping the metal of the chimney. At first I thought it must have gotten into that space between the wall and chimney throught the attic but then it sounded like it was just above the damper trying to get in. I'm still not sure wear it actually was. I called my husband, who at the time was no help at all. He said if it got into the house to just open the door and let it run out! Maybe I have too vivid an imagination but all I could envision was this rabid squirrel running through my house in a panic and me fighting it off with a broom to protect my children! So I ridiculously duck-taped flattened cardboard boxes over my fireplace! Finally the thing calmed down and I only heard it every 10 minutes or so. Mr.lildago came home from work (probably just so I'd shut up) and searched the attic and inside the chimney and couldn't hear or see a thing! It's all kind of funny now when I think of how I acted and the boxes are still over the fireplace. With my luck, the @%*! thing will start up again as soon as the realtor is here with potential buyers for my house!

That sucks lildago. My sister and brother-in-law also had a squirrel problem. The squirrels were getting in through the roof eaves. So my brother-in-law went to Lowe's and bought some humane squirrel traps. The instructions said to use peanut butter as bait. So every night for a week, he put them on the roof. Every morning the peanut butter was gone and the traps were down on the front lawn and squirrel free. Squirrels are clever little buggers.

OMG, I am having the squirrels in the eaves too! At least I HOPE they are just squirrels. But Mariner, I am scared to death to get in my attic crawlspace, because the squirrels here don't run when confronted. I live in an animal "sanctuary" type place on the marsh, and everyone feeds and interacts with them, the racoons, the birds, the possums, etc. But I will try the PB thing, because the roofers are coming to repair the gutters/eaves in a couple of days, and I don't want any trapped inside.

Good luck, lildago. They are noisy little twerps at night!
    Go Tigers!

Hey Snoopy, check out this website : http://www.doityourself.com/wildlife/squirrels.htm
    Maybe it will help!

+ Reply to Thread