+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9231Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Well, the memorial has been pushed back now...his aunt has offered to host the memorial sometime in the Spring at her house in Santa Rosa. Long story short...he has relatives in Alaska and Maine...and they all want to be there to which I understand. I had purchased the tickets already but got it all sorted out and got my money back. His sister did ask for my thoughts and I told her my schedule was flexible and that my boss has been super understanding. So, yeah....that much longer till I get some kind of closure. I'm drowning my sorrows right now with rose wine. Ugh!!!
    “Where there is love there is life.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

You'll get through it. We're here to listen, or to raise a glass of wine. Just let us know what you need.
    I'm Paula.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

So sorry the memorial has been postponed until a much later date, Star. Your beloved will be with you always but little by little your tears become less frequent and you will smile and love again. So glad you have a supportive boss and loving family! And of course we are here for you too!

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    You'll get through it. We're here to listen, or to raise a glass of wine. Just let us know what you need.
    I second this. And sending a big hug to you.
    AZChristian and Stargazer161 like this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Thanks guys! You guys are awesome.
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

I have committed to help two very elderly, frail veterans move from separate one-bedroom units to a shared apartment in a different city. I have written about one of these vets before. Another woman is arranging for the new place and I’m in charge of the packing. The guys are very grateful for our help and they trust us. No family is available.

They’re best friends, but yin and yang. One is a neat freak with hundreds of books (which I boxed and put in storage this weekend) but almost nothing else. So he’s in pretty good shape.

The other is…a hoarder, I just found out this weekend.

“Thanks” to a neighbor, I recently learned a little about hoarding, from the standpoint of stepping back and not trying to intervene. But now, all sorts of things you’re not supposed to do or say, I’ll have to. Their lives depends on it, for grotesque and obscene reasons having to do with exceptionally hostile and evil building management. They have to get out of there, soon! And very little of the hoarder’s stuff can come with him. No dumpster available. No room to sort or stack or stage (maybe a little in the other guy’s unit). No possibility to get outside professional help other than movers on moving day. Just overwhelming. It’s a drive for me to get there. I’m prepared to take some time off from work but I can’t take a leave of absence to do this. It isn’t really even a matter of more bodies to help, because I can’t do anything at all unless and until he’s willing to weed through boxes with me. He actually needs to take a lot of the materials for critical projects he’s working on, but agreeing on that line will be formidable.

I don’t think I’m posting this for ideas, but prayers and good energy would be welcome! Including finding the patience and people skills I’ve never professed to have for anything like this.
    Punkin, Gutmutter, Cootie and 1 others like this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Bless you, Brooks. The people here at FoRT are the kindest. I have no experience with hoarding but I'll be sending good thoughts and keep you in prayer. Good Luck!
    Punkin and Brooks like this.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Good luck, Brooks. One day at a time. I'm going to pray that the hoarder will quickly hit that "just get rid of this crap" stage we see on the show.
    Brooks likes this.
    I'm Paula.

Brooks, that is very kind of you to help them. I hope it works out for the best! *Sending good vibes!*
    Brooks likes this.
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

Sending the best vibes!!!
    Brooks likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

+ Reply to Thread