+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9215Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Talk about your troubles

Doesn't matter WHERE you put it . . . we're just glad you updated us, and we're glad for the awesome news!!!!
    I'm Paula.

Yeah MAL!!!

Happy Dancing here in SoCAL!!!

MAL, go put this news on the “Share Your Good News” thread also!!!!
    AZChristian likes this.
    KAREN

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Great news, Mal!!!

, Mal!!!
    Lynda

Thanks for letting us know. Such a relief.
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

So stupid me cut the side of my thumb on my mandoline slicer again. I cut it a few years ago and was lucky it didn't get cut all the way through so it was able to heal back without a bad scar, although I did have some nerve damage after as a result. Now I've cut the same thumb in the same place AGAIN. It's not as deep a cut this time but it was cut all the way through so the whole chunk of skin came off. One of these days, I'm no longer going to have a right thumb because of my clumsiness.

I think the only way I can avoid injury on my mandoline is to not try to cut all the way down to the end of the food item. The first time I cut myself grating cheese. This time, I cut myself slicing potatoes. I was trying to be careful as I got to the last section of potato but now I think I'll have to quit when I get 3/4 through the potato and slice the rest by knife. The mandoline did come with a piece of plastic which I assume is some kind of grip but it has no instructions for use and I haven't figured out how to use it.
    Last edited by pikachu; 12-14-2017 at 03:51 PM.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

That's why you have two thumbs - one's a spare.
    Punkin and dagwood like this.

I think I need more than one spare, then! LOL!

Pinkies are pretty useless so how about if I trade in one of those for another thumb?
    Punkin likes this.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    So stupid me cut the side of my thumb on my mandoline slicer again. I cut it a few years ago and was lucky it didn't get cut all the way through so it was able to heal back without a bad scar, although I did have some nerve damage after as a result. Now I've cut the same thumb in the same place AGAIN. It's not as deep a cut this time but it was cut all the way through so the whole chunk of skin came off. One of these days, I'm no longer going to have a right thumb because of my clumsiness.

I think the only way I can avoid injury on my mandoline is to not try to cut all the way down to the end of the food item. The first time I cut myself grating cheese. This time, I cut myself slicing potatoes. I was trying to be careful as I got to the last section of potato but now I think I'll have to quit when I get 3/4 through the potato and slice the rest by knife. The mandoline did come with a piece of plastic which I assume is some kind of grip but it has no instructions for use and I haven't figured out how to use it.
    GAAAAAAH!!! This gave me shivers! I'm glad it wasn't even worse!!!!

Usually the "grip" that comes with a mandolin has a spiky surface that you stab into the food you are slicing. Then you hold onto the opposite side and use it to push the food through the slicer. The depth of the spikes will determine how much waste you end up with, so you want them to be sharp enough to hold but not so deep that you will lose a lot.

ETA - Here's an example with decent photos. This one is a bit different that ones I have used in the past because you "seat" the food in the holder and then use a kind of plunger to push it out into the blade.
    https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...ite/1012939132
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 12-14-2017 at 04:06 PM.
    beerbelly likes this.

The grip that came with my mandolin looks like a plastic pair of pincers. I couldn't find any way for it to help me hold onto the food. It actually made it harder to hold the food item. I'm thinking maybe I need to get myself a new mandoline with a better safety grip as my Christmas gift to myself (and my still mostly intact fingers).
    AZChristian likes this.

+ Reply to Thread