+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8371Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Talk about your troubles

We have "re-discovered" reading now that we're retired, and make almost weekly visits to our local library. As convenient as e-readers are, it's nice to be sitting on the love seat with someone who is reading a real book, and you can tell how close they are to finishing it so you can talk about it.

I'm sorry your library closed, Cootie. Can you register at a different library for your e-books?
    I'm Paula.

I've had another great loss in my life. Last week my son Randy, 52, died. He had had heart disease for some time and his heart finally gave out on him. He died just short of four months after my husband Ray. I have been crying non-stop for three days.

When Ray died I sold my house and Randy and I moved to Galt, a suburb of Sacramento. Randy had lived here for many years before his divorce, when he moved in with Ray and me in the Bay Area for the last 13 years. I also have my MIL, SILs and their children here, and it's the place the whole family gathered every year at Christmas. It's much more affordable and I thought I could make a home here. It was a big mistake though. Randy had gotten progressively sicker and weaker since we moved here in April. And I realize it will never be "home". I feel so very alone.

Today my oldest son and DIL came up to see me. They want me to move in with them. They have a lovely home in Millbrae, on the SF Peninsula. They are having construction in their home right now, among other things having sliding glass doors installed out to their beautiful garden from their bedroom and from my grandson's former bedroom where they've invited me to live. Construction should be completed by August. My first thought was that I don't want to be a burden to them. But I know I wouldn't be. They both work all week and we always get along well. I could be back where I feel "at home". I can donate all but my bedroom furniture and move just me and the 3 cats.

The weather here is killing me. 104 yesterday, 105 today, 108 Thursday, with temps in 100's and upper 90's for the foreseeable future! It's not even officially Summer yet. This house has an AC unit on the roof, but it is completely inadequate to handle such temps. Yesterday it was 87 in the house from 5:00pm until after 10:00pm. This will literally kill me. I will be one of those climate change statistics. The idea of going back to the temperate climate of the Bay Area is going to give me back my life. And I'll have my friends to go to Half Moon Bay for lunch! Part of my depression since I've been here is the idea I will never see my friends or favorite places again since I don't drive freeways.

So, part of the dark cloud I'm under from losing my husband and my middle son and housemate of many years is lifting a bit. I see a ray of sunshine and hope for the future.
    Brooks, Arielflies, PGM35 and 5 others like this.
    Lynda

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Oh Lynda, I'm so sorry about your son Randy. It breaks my heart knowing all this.x

Then I read the rest, and this...
    So, part of the dark cloud I'm under from losing my husband and my middle son and housemate of many years is lifting a bit. I see a ray of sunshine and hope for the future.
    What a great idea to move in with your eldest son and dil. Honestly, thats the best part! No way will you be a burden. I'm happy for you...
    Punkin likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

(((Punkin))), what an emotional rollercoaster and life journey you've been on! Of course you won't be a burden to your oldest and your DIL. One of the most rewarding things I have done in my life was to take in both of my parents in their later years. An adjustment, of course, but one gladly made.
    Punkin likes this.

FORT Fan

Punkin- I'm so sorry on the loss of Ray and your son. It must be such a hard time. I'm glad that you will be moving back to the Bay Area where all your friends are and where the temperature is more to your liking. My sister lives up in the Sacto area and I have no idea how she handles that heat. My parents live in Burlingame and I live just a few minutes south from there so there is a forter nearby! I hope moving will help with your loss and I'm sending big hugs to you.
    Punkin likes this.

Yes, mcmomof2, you're in San Mateo aren't you? I used to work there. My DIL is a hair stylist on Burlingame Avenue.
    Lynda

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Lynda - just want you to know that I love you, and I have absolute faith in you. I'm so glad you have an option that will help you see the sunshine again. No one should have to deal with what you've had to deal with. I am so sorry.
    Punkin and beerbelly like this.
    I'm Paula.

Punkin my heart goes out to you. I am so sorry about your son.
    Punkin likes this.

Oh Punkin! It's not fair. I'm so sorry. Sending you hugs and love.

I think the move would be good for you.
    Punkin likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Punkin, I'm so very sorry for your loss. This has been such a difficult year for you. Your oldest son and DIL are a blessing. You shouldn't worry about being a burden. Moving in with them will help to put their mind at ease. If my dad and brother both passed away, I would insist that mom move in with me. I wouldn't want her living by herself, and I'm guessing that's what your oldest son is also thinking.

I'm going to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care of yourself. You are loved.
    Punkin, Cornholio and Eastcoastmom like this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

+ Reply to Thread