+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree963Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Hey Gut, hope you are feeling as well as can be expected. I will check out the Laurel and Hardy antics in the other thread. Get enough rest and put yourself first.

I was feeling good from last night, so of course - something upsetting had to happen. I got a call on my home phone from a law firm/collection agency looking for some guy, saying this is his last reminder, blah blah blah. Being nice- and curious, I called the place to say they had the wrong number. The guy at the other end apologized, then looked up the file and said that this number was put down by the person in question as his business number - none of the other info matched up (and I did not give them anything, even my name - despite the guy insisting he had to buy me dinner next time he's in NY, I just don't get where THAT came from). BUT my number is unlisted, so now I'm worried, not in a free credit state, and wondering - as I can only afford one, which of the three credit agencies would be most beneficial to purchase a credit check from? I always here about Equifax, is that the most comprehensive or at least east coast based? I want to buy it this afternoon or tomorrow at the latest.

CCL
    He probably just made up a random number, Glitter, and it happened to be yours. I don't really know much about the credit-check agencies. I think they are all national, if not fully international ( I know they are in Canada at least, as well as in the US ). Equifax is the one I've heard of most often so it is probably the one I would go with if I were you.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glitternerfball
    I was feeling good from last night, so of course - something upsetting had to happen. I got a call on my home phone from a law firm/collection agency looking for some guy, saying this is his last reminder, blah blah blah. Being nice- and curious, I called the place to say they had the wrong number. The guy at the other end apologized, then looked up the file and said that this number was put down by the person in question as his business number - none of the other info matched up (and I did not give them anything, even my name - despite the guy insisting he had to buy me dinner next time he's in NY, I just don't get where THAT came from). BUT my number is unlisted, so now I'm worried, not in a free credit state, and wondering - as I can only afford one, which of the three credit agencies would be most beneficial to purchase a credit check from? I always here about Equifax, is that the most comprehensive or at least east coast based? I want to buy it this afternoon or tomorrow at the latest.
    This has happened to me several times. Some idiot just made up a number and gave mine on some loan application. And the girl who previously had my phone number (thanks for recycling the numbers too quickly, BellSouth!) apparently owed everyone in the free world money. And, oddly enough, I also do a smidgen of collections work (not that it's my choice, mind you) and I've seen totally fake numbers on loan applications. More than likely, an idiot con guy just randomly put down your number, making it up, not targeting you, on a loan application.

You're right to get your credit report to be safe, though; Equifax is the most comprehensive of the 3 major companies. (Coincidentally, I just printed out my annual free credit report last week--got all 3 companies, and Equifax was twice as long as the other two.)

Yeah, i checked it out - I had one extraneous card that I don't remember - but nothing on it and a tiny credit limit, on the phone now to cancel - BUT - it turns out it has a much better APR than my other one with the same company, so I consolidated the two, lowered my interest, lowered my credit limit - and it turned out good again. There's just one other card I thought I canceled long ago, but the phone # isn't an 800 so I have to wait to call.

I'm glad to hear it turned out well, and a bonus even!

Gutmutter, I'm so sorry to hear of your bad news. You have a great sense of humor and just wow on how you are handling this. A good friend of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer and it had spread to the lymph nodes (sp)

She is 110% perfect health right now. She went through a lot but, she came out even stronger.

My prayers are with you.

I've been rushing through reading this and I'm sorry to hear about other's troubles as well and I hope everyone is okay. Life can really be tough sometimes. Great people on here though that are so supportive.

Again, you are in my prayers. Keep up that great attitude. Your a strong lady. And don't ever feel like you are wallowing (I think that is the word you used) takes a lot of courage to let it all out. Thank you for letting us be there for you.
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Gut - I've been thinking about you while I was away at the beach. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers

Thanks for the continued thoughts and prayers of everyone here. I have a post-op on Weds. and should find out then when my chemo starts. Unfortunately I have also been having some sort of abdominal pain. I have an appointment tomorrow morning with my regular doctor to check it out. I'm hoping it is nothing serious that would set my chemo back even more. On a lighter note - I was at Newbury Comics today and bought a wig that will be perfect on days I feel a little crazy... white blonde dreadlocks. hee!
    Count your blessings!

OH BROTHER! - dreads? hehe anyhoo - you know we're thinking about you and praying also.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread