+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1684Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I don't think the boss and I really clicked. You know when you make a comment about something to someone and they just don't even understand what you're saying, although it seems clear to everyone else? Yeah - that was every day with her. I started to wonder if it was me. Everyone in that company hates her and is miserable and wanting to quit. Not such a happy place to work.

Aw, Critical, I'm so sorry to hear that your finances have been temporarily disrupted.

I read that description of the place, though, and I almost want to shout a big "CONGRATULATIONS" to you 'cause now you don't have to go back there anymore!!

I think that life is way, way too short to spend your work hours around butthead people, so I'm very glad that you're not going to be around that witch anymore.

I'll say some prayers and keep you in my thoughts, and I know things'll get better soon.

I wish you lived closer so you could hang out with us here at The Pomeranian Shack -- the dogs'd make you forget all about your troubles!!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Everyone in that company hates her and is miserable and wanting to quit. Not such a happy place to work.
    Ugh, I've worked at places where everyone is miserable, and there are not too many situations worse than that. It can make for a long, agonizing day. Like Pommy says, at least you don't have to look at her crabby mug anymore, though.
    Money is really the only thing that stresses me out. Everything else, I can deal with.
    Ah yes, when money is tight, it can be extremely stressful. It is nice to know you have your parents for backup if you really need them. I'm sorry you have to start your weekend with this news. I hope you're in school before you know it.

On a more selfish note, will you still be able to go to Fortcon? *crosses fingers and toes*
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    On a more selfish note, will you still be able to go to Fortcon? *crosses fingers and toes*
    Of course I'll be there, roomie! No way I'd miss it! By that time, I'll have received my financial aid (plus, I'm getting some expenses paid for my birthday), so I won't have nearly as much to worry about financially. We will still have our "Three Musketeers" weekend!

Pom - the only buttheads in that place were the boss, her husband and their little toadie. Everyone else was just as miserable. Whenever she left the office, the mood of the place just changed in a palpable way. I'm not sad about not having to go back there, but I wish they'd still pay me
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Other than the financial issues, it sounds like you are far, far better off never going back there again Critical.

Thanks for the flowers, Unklescott. I haven't gotten flowers from a man in several decades. I was sorely tempted to have a strong drink or take a Vicodin but I went with extra strength Tylenol and a frozen water bottle. I'm trying to be really good to my body these days. I fell asleep on my round blue chair while trying to watch tv with my daughter so she wouldn't freak out about how much pain I was in. The dog got concerned and jumped on with me, so I got up and went to bed. I'm feeling much better today. Critical - I'm sure by the time you read this, the wheels will be in motion for another job to come your way. Have you ever tried waiting tables? There are almost always openings somewhere and the tips can be quite good. My daughter is waiting at a Ruby Tuesdays and making great tips. Waitressing was what saved me back when I was a struggling artist. JD - glad your daughter is communicating. At some point when she's listening, a well placed, "I will always love you no matter what" is a good platform to establish.
    Count your blessings!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    JD - glad your daughter is communicating. At some point when she's listening, a well placed, "I will always love you no matter what" is a good platform to establish.

*wiping away tear* I'm sorry, Gut, it's just that when talking about one''s child, and hearing the words "when she's listening" - well, I just never thought the two went together. I know you are offering good advice, and have been constantly, and thank you. Thank you to everyone who puts up with my whining and sniveling over my bratty daughter, and thank you for all of the advice. It has been helpful. I never miss the opportunity to tell my kids that I will always love them no matter what. Unconditional is what our family is about.

My sweet mother who has loved me through every torture I have put her through taught me that one.

I've been trying to catch up with everyone's news. Gut-I hope you're feeling better after being in a vise grip (both real and figuratively).
    Critical-I am almost in your position. After my beloved boss retired, the new guy took over. After fibbing to me about my new salary and the supposed raise, then merging my ofc with another (which was a good thing), he heavily suggests that we cut our hours. When we threatened to walk, he recanted his request. He does not pay overtime even when he tells us he will (and refuses to put us as salaried). When we have a busy frantic day, he decides to come in and make it more frantic. For example, we both will have clients in front of us, the phones are ringing off the hook and we are taking messages as best we can, when he steps up to our desks and gives us his work to complete. He rarely helps to answer the phones. He calls us to do his personal errands for him-ie booking the hotels for family vacations, picking up orthodontia equip for his children. Yet, in his eyes, we don't do enough. I think I'm ready to move on, so will start the wonderful job of job hunting. Thanks for letting me vent!

Critical - I fell your pain! And know things workout somehow. I'm in the same situation, I've been temping for the summer after quitting my evil job. The place where I work is great, but the big brass is pushing my boss to hire someone permanent. She told me she's putting it off as long as she can because we get along so well, but we had a nice talk where I told her I know she needs someone permanent and that she's getting pressured, and while I'd love to stay the summer I don't want it to adversely affect her. She told me that I'm doing a great job and she feels guilty each time she interviews. But thur. the big wig told her she has to hire someone for the next pay period, which means I only have a job for the next two weeks - though she's going to try and see if they can keep me in some other capacity at least until August (they all know i begin teaching in Sept.)

But the thought of a month w/out fresh income isn't a happy one - at least you have family to fall back on, that is a great luxury!

for all of us tempers! I'm sure everything will work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Glitternerfball
    But the thought of a month w/out fresh income isn't a happy one - at least you have family to fall back on, that is a great luxury!
    One of the women on Big Brother said she quit teaching to become a waitress, because the money was so much better. I waitressed for 1 1/2 years on weekends as a second job and hated it, but some people really like it.
    Like Gutmutter says, if you find the right place, it might tide you over.

Gutmutter - I've never waited tables and those jobs are at a premium around here - at least the ones that pay well. Honestly, I don't think I have the temperament (and I know I don't have the inclination) to wait tables. I'm going to stick to office temping until classes start.

famita - I had a similar thing happen at my last job. I was working in one department and loved it. Then one of the attorneys maneuvered to get me under his control. Eventually, he gained enough control that he got me right out the door.... and gave my job to his little pet. There's nothing worse, as an employee, than working with people every day that you can't stand. I hope your situation gets better - either at that job or at another one!

Glitternerfball - We temps have to stick together! I've really only had one other negative experience temping and I walked out on the assignment (a definite first for me) after 1 1/2 days (and waking up with hives from stress on day 2). I've always had great fun with my temp jobs and have been offered the job in every case where the job was temp to hire. I'm hoping I can find something for the next month or so. I'm sure you'll find something good once this assignment ends. We can keep our fingers crossed for each other

It's nice that my folks can help but, honestly, they're not in the financial position to do much, nor would I want them to. I feel guilty enough over taking money from them now. I definitely don't want to have to do it again. It's sobering to realize that you own nothing of value - aside from your car - that you could sell to make some good money. Maybe I have a few things I could sell, but nothing I would want to part with. Everything else, at least according to eBay, is worthless!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread