+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1647Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

FORT Fogey

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    I got information from a librarian about how to try to get files sealed.
    I got the forms and a page with information, but I'm not sure which court to take it to. I will try to find that information.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    bachelorwatcher - that judge sounds like he's either incompetent or is just going through the motions and trying to do as little s possible.
    The judge wasn't elected. He was appointed to "preside over" restraining order cases. I don't know if he would be the "judge" in a trail. He is both incompetent and just going through the motions. He doesn't care about the harassment of stalking, He just wants to cover the basics and keep people from being beaten up.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    My son is a tween and started middle school last fall. Nearly from the beginning he was experiencing some anxiety that had never been an issue for him before. He is like a different person this year than he was last year and it has been very difficult to watch. I had touched base with both the pediatrician and the school counselor on this topic over the last few months. Over the last few days it got markedly worse and I called today to set up an initial evaluation with a psychologist. I just feel so crappy and helpless. As a parent I feel like *I* should be able to something to make him better!
    I know this is a "troubles" thread, but I wanted to share a follow-up to a trouble I had a while back.

I wrote the above post about my son a couple of years ago. He started dealing with anxiety in 5th grade and it spiraled into OCD and depression. We have seen a therapist on-and-off and even tried meds when the depression was really bad (he has been off them for well over a year now). It has been an extremely frustrating few years, but I am feeling very optimistic right now! He used to love soccer, but he dropped out of it around the time that his anxiety started. I think the pressure of being part of a team started to get to him. He decided over this past summer that he wanted to get back into soccer, which I thought would be great for him for both health/well-being and social reasons. I was so incredibly worried that as the season approached he was going to back out of it. He declared that one of the reasons he wanted to get back with soccer was to shift his group of friends to a more active group rather than kids who just want to sit around and play video games inside all day. I am SO happy to report that he has gone ahead and joined the school soccer team and has been going to practices for a few weeks now. He has has a few days with worries about it, but he has stuck with it and his first game is this evening. He is making a conscience effort to see what he wants, set a goal, and then take steps to make it happen. I am SO proud of him! Furthermore, school started on Wednesday this week and he has actually had POSITIVE things to say about his teachers and classes. I SO hope he can keep up this positive momentum!!!
    Punkin, Kip, Lil Bit and 13 others like this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

CW, I'm so happy things are falling into place for your son. You must be very proud of him for having the insight about meeting new friends through soccer, and for going through with it despite some worry about it.
    Debb70 likes this.

Very mature reasoning and goals. Good on him! I'm so happy for you.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm proud that he took care of the problem without bringing you into it. Mothers, often, overstep and go too far instead of encourage our children to find a solution. Learning their independence is very important and it gives us peace of mind, in the long run. It's not easy to stand back, but that helicopter crap can create the worst situations. I think it's one of the best things we can do for our children....foster their independence.

Stay just close enough to help out, if you are needed, but resist the urge, if it at all possible.

Anyway, that's how I see it. It worked well in this house.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 09-06-2014 at 09:00 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Does anyone on FORT have experience with sciatica? Last Wednesday I simply bent down to pick up at apple off the ground and I've had horrible pain ever since. I went to the chiropractor that afternoon. He gave me an adjustment, but also told me that I should probably see a medical doctor. Thursday I saw the Doctor and she gave me prednisone, a muscle relaxer, and Ibuprophen. I've been icing it and taking it easy.

This morning I searched through Youtube videos and found some stretching exercises that I may try when the pain is a little less. (It is much better than it was, but still not gone) From what I'm reading, this could last from 6 to 12 weeks until it's healed. I've already missed 2 days of work because of it, and as some of you may know, I'm starting a new job on the 18th. I certainly don't want to start out on the wrong foot, so I'm looking for some advice from anyone who has experienced this and ways to get some relief. The Doctor told me that if the pain doesn't subside she will recommend an MRI. I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it because my insurance isn't that great and I'd end up paying the whole amount.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

What rotten timing! I don't have any advice, but I'll be thinking of you. Don't rush the exercises just yet. You wouldn't want to make it worse.
    Count your blessings!

Lil Bit I am so sorry.
    Mr. ITG suffers from sciatica. He has taken all the meds you listed above, had MRI's, heat patches, med patches, shots and none of it helped. His comes and goes. What works the best for him is stretching and massaging the pressure point until it works its way out. His sciatica last about two-three weeks, (the worst lasted 8 weeks) and will disappear for months. What we've noticed is a quick turn, jerky or jarring movement or straining to lift a heavy object can start an episode. When it first starts, he will take Advil or Aleve.

Here are the things that help him. Stand straight with your feet crossed and your hands raised over your head. Bend over at the waist and touch your toes with your hands and if you can, your nose to your knees. Don't bounce, just stretch slowly. Hold and repeat. Do it several times during the day.
    If you have some one to do it for you, take a tennis ball and push and roll it slowly over the sore spot. If you don't have anyone, lay down on your back and put the tennis ball underneath, finding the spot and roll over the spot.

At night, if you are on your back, putting a pillow under your knees, or if you are on your side, rest your back against a pillow. When you get out of bed in the mornings, roll out instead of lifting straight up.
    A Homedics back massager with heat helps too.
    Also, he won't go, but a massage therapist will help and so will Yoga.
    I hope you feel better soon, I know how much pain you are in.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 09-06-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    Lil Bit likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I have had sciatica a couple of times in the past, but not recently, thank goodness. ITG's advice about gentle stretching is good. My orthopedic doctor said that it's best to sleep on your side with a pillow between your legs. Also, try to sit with your knees higher than your hips (a simple foot rest at your desk will make this possible). It also helps if you're sitting on the couch to just gently pull the knee on the sore side up toward your chin. Visualize yourself stretching out your spine so the nerve isn't being pinched.

I once read an article that said a major cause of sciatica in men was carrying their wallet in their back pocket. When they sit down, it puts pressure on the sciatic nerve. One guy I told about this said that I had cured his sciatica!

I don't do chiropractic . . . when I was having recurrent bouts of sciatica, I would say, "If my back is hurting, I don't want anyone to crack it. If my back is NOT hurting, I don't want anyone to crack it either." LOL.

You have my sympathies. Sciatica is miserable. Most of mine came when I was pregnant, as I apparently have 7 vertebra in a part of my spine where I should have 6, and the changing in my center of gravity caused the nerve to pinch. (I still haven't figured out why I'm still so darned short if I have an extra vertebra.)
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

+ Reply to Thread