+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1656Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

My sister in law, who is 58, refuses to have a mammogram because "they hurt."
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

They don't hurt if they're done correctly. I'm 5' tall, and the first several mammos I had done were by techs who thought that I had to be standing on my tiptoes for them to get a good image. I almost stopped having them done because it was uncomfortable.

The past several, I've gone to a women's health facility. Their techs get good images, and my feet stay flat on the floor. As they've told me, "The machine is adjustable. We want women to be as comfortable as possible for the procedure, and by NOT hanging them in the air, we know they're more comfortable."

If you s-i-l is "well-endowed," they might need to use more pressure to get a thorough image, but it's JUST pressure. It should not hurt. Maybe you could suggest she find somewhere else to have it done.

I take a pain killer just before I get out of the car in the parking garage so it kicks in by the time I'm being squeezed.
    Count your blessings!

I was really paranoid about them as well. The first time, they pushed the machine down and when she started to walk away I said "is that it?" Apparently I was fretting over nothing. I think if you are very small chested it can be a little tougher because there isn't as much there. But I agree with AZC, the machines adjust and they shouldn't hurt.
    AZChristian likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I can't help but think about that old song by Sister Sledge.....We Are Family.

I think that describes our little FoRT community. We are definitely here for each other.

Punkin, PGM35, KatesMom and 2 others like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I just scheduled my annual mammogram. This year I have an option for the 3D version. The downside - "pressure" for several seconds longer which is why it's optional. I lost enough weight that my tits are very small now. I'm not sure they come in 3D any more, LOL.

KatesMom, good luck to you and please keep us posted.
    KatesMom likes this.

The sad thing is... she's never had a mammogram, so she has nothing to compare it to.

I had one technician several years ago who was horribly rough. I had bruises when she was done. The last couple of years though, I've found the perfect tech, and I ask for her specifically. Even if it hurt really bad, it would still be worth it, in my opinion.
    Punkin, Cootie and AZChristian like this.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Tell her to take everything off from the waist up and stand in front of the freezer door. Put one breast between the door and the freezer and have 3 strong guys push as hard as they can. Or she can lay down on the garage floor and have someone run over one of her breasts.

Both of these are a lot more painful than a mammo, so if she does either one, she'll find the mammo easy.
    Punkin, Ellen, Brooks and 2 others like this.

In addition to being short, like AZ, I'm also small busted. Even with the machine adjusted for my height, there's just not enough to lie them on that plate thing. So they pull them out & stretch them while lowering the top plate, then squash. Repeat side to side. I always fear they'll look like floppy tongues afterwards but so far, so good. They're a bit sore afterwards, but not bad. I've never had to take any type of pain killer, even aspirin. It wears off quickly. It's not a lingering pain.

The way I see it is: Of course it hurts. It's supposed to hurt. But so do immunization shots, & for that matter, new high heel shoes. But in the end, you're glad you got all 3 of these.

All in all, not that big of a deal.
    KatesMom and AZChristian like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

<------ very happy there aren't testicularograms!
    Punkin, Ellen, Kip and 5 others like this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

+ Reply to Thread