+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1672Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Thanks to all for your input.

My beloved bodega is just gutted. It was so sudden. If you know NYC you know that you go to your bodega to shop, talk etc. they were from Yemen and everyone who worked there were so special to me. The brother who was a Patriot fan that called me Mrs. Rodgers (I'm a Packers fan), his brother who liked the 'other' kind of football (soccer) and the Uncle who always spoke Spanish to me (although I don't know why) and always asked for my mom and when I go to church to pray for him.

Word on the street is that the lease was up and they couldn't pay their rent. I'm so sad but I know who I will be praying again for in Church.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Oh my that is a sad story. Do you think they will open in a new location? It sounds like a nice place to go and place many will miss.

I don't know. Honestly I am shocked. One day they are a hive of our neighborhood and the next day...gutted. I am sure many people will miss them because they have been in the neighborhood 19 years. I'm so sad face.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    I don't know. Honestly I am shocked. One day they are a hive of our neighborhood and the next day...gutted. I am sure many people will miss them because they have been in the neighborhood 19 years. I'm so sad face.
    At first I was wondering if it was one of the buildings affected by the fire in Manhattan I read about the other day, but I guess not. So sorry, beerbelly.

So sad that they didn't have the opportunity to say goodbye to you and let you know where they were going. Sorry, Beerbelly.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

It sounds like their leaving has put a real hole in the heart of your neighborhood.
    Punkin likes this.

A discussion came up on the "Restaurants" thread about how families act when out in a restaurant. And I added my own family's (well, one person in my family) strange behavior.

Re: Restaurants
    I have a sister who, every time I have gone to a restaurant with, has sent her food back. It is maddening and embarrassing for everyone at the table. Doesn't matter what she orders, it's never right. She will play with it while everyone else is eating and then catch the waiter and tell them to take it back. Unfailingly she will then claim it is too late for the waiter to bring her anything else because everyone else has half finished their food. I don't know what she gets out of this. We all criticize her for doing this and tell her it is so rude to not allow the waiter to bring her something else she might like. No one in the family will go out to eat with her anymore. Families are weird in different ways.
    Debb asked what could be behind this behavior and I started explaining. But that turned into something I intended to bring to this thread because my sister is now very ill and her lifelong food weirdness has had a lot to do with it. So I moved my post from the "restaurants" thread to post here. Appropriately. :>)

"My sister has been odd about food her entire life. When she was young she would only eat salami sandwiches for lunch. Nothing else, and was equally picky about what she would or wouldn't eat for dinner. My parents stopped fighting her on the food front at some point. As an adult she hadn't changed and became a huge Pepsi addict. It made her hugely overweight, which exacerbated her fibromyalgia. Three years ago she made two fateful decisions; she had gastric bypass, and she got false teeth. In my twenties I managed a dental practice and learned that dentures can be very difficult for some people to adjust to. I warned her of this, but she was deathly afraid of dentistry, and with Pepsi rotted teeth, it seemed the easiest route to go (under anesthesia). To no one's surprise, she never took to them and in time they wouldn't fit. The bypass made her waste away to 85 lbs. and at 5'3", they decided to reverse the bypass. By this time she (9 years younger than me) looked very much like my tiny dentureless 90 year old grandmother before she died.

It's gotten worse. Since around Thanksgiving she has been unable to walk and her arms are really weak. She's been in and out of the hospital since then with her daughter caring for her in their home. Two weeks ago she tried to get out of bed by herself to use the bedside potty chair and fell. She was put back in the hospital and was found to have a potassium level of 1.2 (normal is 3.5 - 5.5) and she was lucky to have not had a heart attack or stroke! She looks terrible and frail and she is sort of fuzzy in her responses. She'll turn 60 next month and I don't see her making 61. It's a shame but her health problems (aside from the fibromyalgia) are completely her own doing. I have tried a zillion times to talk to her about proper nutrition, but she listens to no one. Yesterday we drove across the Bay to Concord to visit her in the hospital. While we were visiting, she rang for the nurse to bring her a cup of ice and pour her some Pepsi from her private stash her kids bring her.

I'm sad about her situation, but also kind of angry. My best friend sister who I'd always been closer to, died three years ago from pancreatic cancer. She suffered through a year of pain and treatments, but never gave up until the end. I miss her every day. My sick sister, on the other hand, has always taken the easy way out all her life (baby of the family), and now here she is. I try not to judge her, and I do love her very much, but she's taken a different path than her three sisters and it is what it is. To answer the question: I've no idea, even after years of pondering with my other two sisters, what her lifelong weirdness about food is all about."
    Cornholio likes this.

Punkin, please don't judge your sister too harshly. It sounds like she has probably had a serious mental illness for many years. If she was weird about food and addicted to Pepsi my guess is she simply could not help herself. Twenty years ago psychiatric intervention might have helped her. Now, it sounds as if it's too late. About her teeth. I have heard of people who have a difficult time with their dentures who were able to get new (expensive) ones that worked well for them. Has she ever consulted a different dentist? I feel so sorry for her and for you and your family that have to go through this with her.
    Punkin and Kip like this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Punkin, sending you a hug!
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread