+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1656Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

She already has terrible dental problems from the pacifier. Honestly, it really infuriates me. They also give her soft drinks all the time, every day....it's insane. But, like I said. What can a person do? They need serious parenting classes.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Soft drinks for a 3 year old? Yikes. Hmm, you're in a pickle, Debb. Parents can get mighty defensive when someone questions their parenting techniques. It's so odd that they haven't even attempted potty training yet. In my experience, girls are usually quicker at potty training than boys, but one thing is for sure...she will be out of diapers by the time she gets to kindergarten.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Does this child not play with same-age children who are toilet trained? Usually non-toilet-trained children want to model the behavior of toilet trained ones. My oldest child toilet trained himself just before he turned two from following the lead of a 3 year old.

Unless there's some sort of physical problem, I would think a 4-yr-old could be trained in a couple of days. Is there a family member who could invite this child for a weekend and return the child home toilet trained?

Is the mother trying to keep this child an infant in other ways?

Apparently, they do want to keep her a baby. It's crazy though. Cleaning up a 3 1/2 year old's dirty pullups! It's not good.

I'm not sure of the age of the other kids she stays with, but apparently their potty training hasn't rubbed off on her, because she is not encouraged by her parents or caretakers. I bought her a book about potty training and we read it several times, but her parents ignored it.

I'm going to give her some big girl panties for Easter. She'll be 4 by then.

Maybe, I'll send them an article anonymously by mail. I guess it's not the worst thing in the world. There are probably lots of young parents who are slack on stuff like this. It's just so unnecessary.

It sounds like neglect to me. Don't assume she'll automatically know how by kindergarten and she will NOT be allowed there in Pull Ups unless she has some kind of physical disability. By then, the education system will get others involved.
    Count your blessings!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Oh, I'm not assuming she will know by kindergarten, Gutmutter. There has got to be some parental involvement and guidance. If they get involved with the potty training, the little girl should be able to be trained fairly quickly. She should be able to have pretty good bladder control by age 4. All kids are different, though, but agreed that almost 4 is on the late side, especially if there has been no effort on the parents' part.

She does have delays due to a medical problem. She has delayed verbal skills and gets therapy for it, but she seems to understand verbally. Her parents have never said anything about her being delayed to the point that she can't be potty trained, so I take it there isn't. She will be attending special classes due to her delay, but I expect that she will attend a private school, based on their situation and what I have been told.

I wonder if they are afraid that she will not be able to do it and that will be a reflection of her condition and delay. I'm just guessing. Maybe they are afraid of failure with it............................ .......................

Good news! I just got word that they have bought her a potty chair! Thank goodness.
    Last edited by Debb70; 03-13-2014 at 10:43 AM.
    Kip, DesertRose and Eastcoastmom like this.

My grandson is delayed because of his diabetes and now they are going to test him for mild autism but he is potty trained. He is only 3. I know different situations for different people but I can't imagine not trying to potty train a 4 year old.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    My grandson is delayed because of his diabetes and now they are going to test him for mild autism but he is potty trained. He is only 3. I know different situations for different people but I can't imagine not trying to potty train a 4 year old.
    To my kwowledge, she does not have autism, she is delayed due to a medical condition. She's very delayed verbally. She gets therapy.

I'm thrilled they got her the potty chair. Finally.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

They need to talk to her pediatrician, in depth.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread