+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2024Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Talk about your troubles

Pik - I went through a depression that kept me on Paxil for 8 years. I'm happy to say that it's over . . . but I am constantly on guard for warning signs. I've found that taking sam-E (available over the counter) is just that "little something" I need to keep myself emotionally stable. I stopped taking it a couple of months ago, and found that I just do better with it, so I'm back on it.

The biggest thing that works well for me is to get out and do things. Hubby and I are currently walking 5 miles every day, and I volunteer at our church two days a week. I maintain a "to-do" list, and make sure I complete a minimum of 3 tasks every day. Then I feel like I've accomplished something, and I build on each day's successes.

You'll make it through this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Thanks for the recommendation, AZChristian. I'll have to look for sam-E. There's a big vitamin store a few blocks from my house, plus a Walmart and Target nearby, so I can try it and see if it helps.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think the walking helps release the endorphins and really leaves you feeling good, after you get used to it.
    Kip, Brooks and AZChristian like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

The one good thing about feeling down is it makes you take a hard look at what's weighing you down so you can take steps to better your situation. One of the things that worries me the most is my credit card debt. I recently checked into debt consolidation and chose a company highly recommended by the Better Business Bureau. They've set up a plan to cancel 6 of my credit cards and negotiate a settlement so I can pay off my debt in 44 months.

I feel like a huge rock has been lifted off my shoulders. It's not gone yet but I've got leverage in place and I can foresee a time in the future when it will be gone. I think I did the right thing. Once my debt is paid off, I'll have enough money left over after each paycheck to begin to save up so I can make repairs on my condo and get another weight off my shoulders.

It's intimidating to think how long it's going to take but then again I can always pay off a little more each month to speed up the process and if I didn't do this, by the end of that same time my debt might be doubled or worse.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Bravo, Pikachu!

The one good thing about feeling down is it makes you take a hard look at what's weighing you down so you can take steps to better your situation.

Good for you. It's often hard to do that even when one is feeling well, so I especially applaud you for analyzing your situation and taking action when you were feeling down.
    Punkin and AZChristian like this.

I'm proud of you! That's a big step, and like you said, at the end of that time, if you hadn't done it, things would be much worse.
    Punkin, Ellen and AZChristian like this.
    Count your blessings!

I know my issue is nothing compared to most here on this thread, but I wanted to vent and also get an opinion. Has anyone ever heard of a child not being potty trained until very late? Like almost 4? I have read that there may be concerns that they will have adequate time to train their bladder before pre-school if they start so late.

There is no reason the child is not potty trained. The parents do not even attempt it. I am mortified, but it's not my child and I keep my mouth shut, though it's very difficult to do. The child also still has a pacifier, which the parents seem to encourage her to suck on, even when she's not asking for it. Her parents are young, but still, it's really bizarre, IMO.

That is very odd child rearing Debb. Most parents cannot wait for that magic day when they dont need to change diapers anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    That is very odd child rearing Debb. Most parents cannot wait for that magic day when they dont need to change diapers anymore!
    Oh, I know. It's borderline crazy, IMO, but my hands are tied. I can't help but wonder what will happen when she has to attend school and isn't potty trained. Most pre-schools will not accept a child that isn't potty trained. I guess they will continue to leave her with family members while they work, though she really needs pre-school, IMO.

It's not just the lack of potty training that is a problem, but what do you do? They are family members, but I'm quite sure they would not be interested in my opinion. Others share my concern, but we are at a loss as to what we can do. I'm not sure what the pediatrician has said about it or if he even knows. They keep her in pullups, but she is never asked to use the potty and she doesn't have a potty chair. They just change the pullups like a diaper.
    Last edited by Debb70; 03-12-2014 at 11:41 AM.

I'd also be concerned about the pacifier. Like thumb sucking, a pacifier used too long can create an open bite (where the anterior teeth do not occlude and a gap is open), which can be difficult to correct orthodontically.
    captain likes this.

+ Reply to Thread