+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1692Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

pikachu-I'm with you on this! I've been at this job 3 years and no raise. The reason is the economy. Although the economy hasn't held him from taking trips to Europe and only coming in for 2 1/2 hours a day. I get to field calls and complaints. I've been looking but am finding that I'm over-qualified. I say "let ME be the judge of that!" What gets me through is that I believe that tomorrow will be better than today was.
    pikachu likes this.

Some years ago I shared office space with two very intelligent and talented attorneys. They both had gone to respected universities and law schools. They had great personalities too. They told me that they had to start their own practice when they were repeatedly shut out of job opportunities. I could hardly believe it. No one would hire them. They did quite well with their own practice and today one is judge. I think back on their testimony and it gives me confidence.
    pikachu likes this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Pikachu, I'm sorry you're feeling down - you seem like such a lovely, caring person.

The job situation is brutal right now. There's something like 300+ applicants for every job. So there are going to be tons of qualified people who are rejected. My DIL has an MBA from Columbia and my son has a Master's degree. When they came back from working a year overseas, they were unemployed. It took them about 6 months of full-time job searching to finally land jobs.

I'm going to offer some suggestions and thoughts which may or may not resonate with you - I'll just throw them out there for you to mull over.

It seems like the position you're currently in is a dead end. You might want to consider a lateral move to another company. Even if you don't make any more money than you currently are, there might be more room for growth at another company. After my SIL graduated from college, he couldn't find anything, and took a job with the Park Service pulling weeds. Then he got a job as a customer service rep at a high-tech company. That's about the lowest position you can have at most companies. But he took it upon himself to really learn the software and soon was the best at understanding customers' problems. After a year or so, he became a CSR manager and trainer, and was the person who interfaced with the Quality Assurance team (he conveyed customers' problem with the web site to the software engineers). After another year or so, they moved him into a salaried position in Quality Assurance. One downside to any job move at this time for you is that you might be losing some job security as new employees tend to be the first fired when downsizing happens.

Most jobs are gotten through "connections" as it always helps when there's someone who can vouch for you. My DIL ended up getting her job from a woman she met at a networking event for her undergraduate college. Spread the word to close friends that you're open to new job opportunities - though it's tricky as you don't want word to get back to your current bosses. I often have people call me asking me if a know a good person for a particular job. With small companies, a lot of jobs are never advertised. I was once offered a job from a woman who swam at the same time I did at the YMCA. One of my sons was offered a job by someone in his fencing class.

Get out and do things. If there are meetup.com events in your area, try going to some of those (there are usually all sorts of activities - hiking, museums, board games, etc.). At the very least, you'll get out and do something you enjoy doing. If you have some good conversations, that's a plus. If you make a friend, that's even better - but just go with the attitude of enjoying the activity and not looking for anything more.

Volunteer at one-time events like charity walks/races.

I can't stress enough the value of getting out and meeting people for both your personal and professional life.
    Punkin, Ellen, pikachu and 7 others like this.

Pikachu, I am so sorry you are having these problems. I think you have gotten some good suggestions here. Kip's post was really good. I would like to add one suggestion to her list. Check around for any courses you can take, especially if they are relevant to jobs you are seeking. My grandson had applied several different times to a video game testing company in our area, and was turned down each time. Then he took a computer course at a local community college and met a classmate who worked for that company. The next time they were hiring, his classmate recommended him and he got the job. Networking is worth it's weight in gold!
    Punkin, Ellen, pikachu and 2 others like this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I agree with everyone here pikachu - you are a very valuable member of this group and one of the main reasons I enjoy coming here and I am sad that you are depressed. Kip has given you some great information that I wholeheartedly agree with! I am part of meetup.com and I run a ladies group that we meet at least once a week, if not more, to walk on a Sunday morning, brunch, book club, bunco, dinners, movies, happy hours, Girls Night In, etc!!! It's been a great outlet for my social life and I love having real girlfriends to gab with and vent to. Try looking some up and see what's in your area!
    Punkin, Kip and pikachu like this.

I see openings for health care positions a lot. I see that they may have long hours and sometimes on the weekends, but I'm told they make good money and have benefits. I know family friends who have gotten these type of positions (medical office or hospital) in our area with no medical background or experience.
    pikachu likes this.

Pikachu, I think we all have moments like that when everything in our life that we're not satisfied with seems to be EVERYTHING. I can relate.

Whenever I get upset about money or my love life or whatever, I think of all the people who've got it so much worse or focus on the things that are good in my life. Sometimes it's literally, "I have a roof over my head and food on the table" ....or "I have all of my limbs, I can see, I can hear...." Whatever gets me out of that funk.

Like others have suggested, have you thought of looking for a group on Meetup? There are a HUGE number of Meetup groups in my city and I suspect it's like that all across the country. I can't believe how many different interests/hobbies/whatever have groups. Getting out and being around people may just help you feel better, and if you meet new people, one of them might be someone you'd want to date OR happen to know someone who's looking to hire a person just like you. If nothing else, you might meet some nice people who share a common interest AND it gets you out of the house.

Hang in there.
    Punkin, Ellen, Kip and 2 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I'm not real good at giving advice or anything, but I agree with what has been said so far and am with you

And not to put anybody else down or anything, but pikachu, you're one of my favorites on this website.
    Punkin, Kip, pikachu and 3 others like this.

pikachu If your depression feels remotely like its beginning to spiral down, more so than right now, maybe see a doctor. It took me a long time to give into that, but now I do..and it helps
    Kip, pikachu and Debb70 like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Thank you, everyone, for letting me vent and giving me advice and encouragement. I already joined the Council of the Blind years ago to meet people and do volunteer work so I don't think more volunteer work is the answer.

I was just having a down day the other day but not everything that's happened to me lately has been bad. I went to visit my dad for Martin Luther King Day weekend and ended up with a new keyboard. We went to Goodwill to look around and I saw this Casio keyboard there for $50 that I've seen sold online for $300 new so I had to get it. Also, I recently started making potholders and crocheting and that's been going well. I took my potholders to a Council of the Blind meeting to show them to my friends and two people bought one, other people put in an order for one in specific colors, and even co-workers have bought some of them. I haven't been online as much here or on Facebook since I've been busy with crafts.

A lot of things in my life aren't where I want them to be and I wish for more but I am happy to have hobbies to work on that give me personal fulfillment and new skills to learn. I'm going to try to focus more on those things instead of fretting over what I don't have.

I'm also happy that Survivor and the Amazing Race will be starting up again relatively soon so then I'll have pools to keep me busy.

+ Reply to Thread