+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Very well said, gabriel, and what a wonderful gesture. Since my son has been away in military training I am even more conscious of the sacrifices of our military and their families, and I know the support from generous people like you is greatly appreciated.
    Today we were in Lowe's and I saw a sign that said they were giving 10% discount to all military personnel this weekend, including retired military. My husband is a deputy sheriff, and when he goes to the Kwik Shop they never charge him for coffee... I think if businesses want to give discounts or freebies to military, police and fire personnel that's just fine. It's a small thing compared to what they do for us, and I can't believe that people actually complain about something like that.

I guess that depends on where you live. My husband has been in law enforcement for 30 years and finally made $40,000 for the first time.
    My husband and I were exercising our right to a senior discount at a restaurant and the young couple behind us started mouthing off about old people thinking that they were owed something. I told the young woman that I'd be sure and pray that she could get old really quickly so that she could enjoy all the perks that go along with it.

I never had a problem with public servants getting discounts. It is just a little added thank you for all that they do. And I do know that they know what the salary is when they take the job, so if they can't afford the food or drinks, they should bring them from home as many people suggest but the coffee or coke is just a nice gesture, nothing more. It isn't like everyone isn't going to get the same service whether or not they give freebies.

You girls are going to have to slack off on the gabriel love in. I just got that brat straightened out and now, thanks to you all, I may have to smack him around again.
    Last edited by Muduh; 07-04-2005 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    You girls are going to have to slack off on the gabriel love in. I just got that brat straightened out and now, thanks to you all, I may have to smack him around again.
    And BELIEVE ME, It isn't a very nice thing to see a 47 yr old guy cowering in the corner whimpering. (Unless of course you're into that sort of thing)
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Premium Member
    My husband and I were exercising our right to a senior discount at a restaurant and the young couple behind us started mouthing off about old people thinking that they were owed something. I told the young woman that I'd be sure and pray that she could get old really quickly so that she could enjoy all the perks that go along with it.
    That was a very snarkworthy comeback Muduh!

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    And BELIEVE ME, It isn't a very nice thing to see a 47 yr old guy cowering in the corner whimpering. (Unless of course you're into that sort of thing)
    I'm just sure that most of the women here would differ with you. I'll bet they agree with me that a cowering man is just a wonderful sight to see no matter what his age.

Marleybone, glad that you approve.
    You know how you always think of the perfect comeback, a few hours later? I was wishing that I'd said "well we're even because you don't want to pay for my food and I sure don't want to pay taxes for your kids to go to school".

I never had a problem with public servants getting discounts. It is just a little added thank you for all that they do.........but the coffee or coke is just a nice gesture, nothing more.
    I can say from my 30+ years in the restaurant business some of the establishments offer the freebies in order to have a police presence to deter robbery attempts.

Sorry to bring all this here, but now that my surgery and recovery are smooth sailing, I'm reading up on the next stage - chemo - and I don't like it at all. Besides the obvious hair loss and nausea, there are lesser known long term effects like a high incidence of "chemo brain" - the inability to absorb new knowledge easily and "fuzzy thinking" whatever that means. I highly value my brain power and my job requires me to teach 3 different languages in a day plus deal with the intricacies of 150 new early adolescents every 9 weeks. The way I see it, they removed the cancer. It hasn't spread. Why use something as systemically invasive and harmful as chemo? I'm ok with radiation and tamoxifin for 5 years, but I'm not seeing the advantages of the chemo. My chemo doctor appointment is tomorrow afternoon, so I guess I need to write down all my questions and be ready to make some kind of decision based on his answers. Thanks for letting me unload.
    Count your blessings!

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Gut, good luck with your battles. Arm yourself with information and you'll make the right decision.

Gutmutter, please don't ever feel bad for sharing. If it helps you to "talk" it out, please feel free. Some of us (like me) don't know you well, but I think I speak for everyone when I say we're pulling for you.

CCL
    Gutmutter - be sure not to just give in to whatever the doctors say without question. Ask questions, seek different views etc. Doctors always want to go with the route they like best but that route is not always the best option for the patient in question. People are often too intimidated to ask for other options. Maybe you won't have to have chemo. But, if you do, I'm sure your brain function will remain okay - you're a smart cookie.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel

It all depends on the reason why said man is whimpering..... It could be a very good thing.

+ Reply to Thread