+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1967Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: Talk about your troubles

In my present right now, I still struggle with people both involved in my personal life and those who are not.

Like the management of the building I live in.

They are very much useless. And have been for years.

We need our windows fixed

No.

We need someone to look at our fridge

No.

Our neighbors are causing trouble.

No.

Never.

That's unfair JK , I bet they expect the rent on time.!!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

"He who angers you, conquers you" Elizabeth Kenny
    prhoshay likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I don't think I've ever had to struggle with management of places we've lived, but I have with management of offices I've rented. It is a pain. i'd go through stages. At first, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt as to why they were late, not making repairs, etc. Then I'd go through a stage of anger. Then came acceptance. If there was a problem, I'd call, but I'd expect nothing would get done. If they took care of it, I was pleasantly surprised. Eventually anger would return, and i'd vote with my feet and move (did that twice).

How long is your lease for? Maybe you should look for somewhere else. If things about the place I lived were making me angry, I'd move, even if it had to be to a smaller place. Is there a tenant's aid society where you live? I'm not sure they'd be able to help with noise issue, but they could help with legally withholding rent money for the refrigerator and windows and putting it into an escrow account.
    prhoshay likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I refuse to cede control. I'm running this show....not everybody else. For me, it's all about personal responsibility. No pissing, moaning, and groaning for me.

There's nothing lamer than subjecting innocent people to your crappy pity party.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 11-07-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    nennie likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I refuse to cede control. I'm running this show....not everybody else. For me, it's all about personal responsibility. No pissing, moaning, and groaning for me.

There's nothing lamer than subjecting innocent people to your crappy pity party.
    I had two great role models in my life: my dad and my uncle. They were orphaned when they were two and four, respectively, and were put in a Catholic orphanage. This was in the late 1920s, so they spent the Depression in the orphanage where they sometimes only had turnip greens to eat. My uncle left the orphanage at 18, and went straight into the air force in WWII. My dad went to live with a foster family when he was 15, and at 18, went into the army. A few months later he lost a leg in a mine explosion in Holland that killed everyone else in his troop. He had a lot of shrapnel in many parts of his body. He had a bible in his left pocket that stopped a piece of shrapnel from piercing his heart.

But, anyway, I always had the example of my dad and uncle, who had really miserable childhoods. They had a roof over their heads, and enough to eat (if sometimes barely), and received a good education from the nuns, but not a lot of love and affection. Then they went into the hell of WWii. But they somehow managed to remain optimistic and never complained about their lots in life.

It's always been interesting to me how differently adversity affects people. Some people who have been abused go on to abuse others; other people who have been abused make it their mission to prevent others from being abused. Some people who grow up in crappy circumstances give up; others are motivated to improve themselves and their circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post

Ah, shay ... sometimes sharing and venting ... loses the pity and makes it just a party.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FoRTer

Kip, I love your post; thanks for telling us about your dad and uncle.
    For sure, adversity builds character. I'm beginning to realize how it also helps strengthen beliefs (in my case, faith in God). The best way I've heard it described is like this: we go complacently along with the backdrop of our lives, then trouble hits and it tears holes in that backdrop... through those rips and tears we glimpse God.
    I'm also coming around to the idea that our troubles and how we get through them are to be shared, like a talent or gift, to help others. I am always touched by the openness and bravery of those who share here in this thread.
    Kip, AmyKay and inthegarden like this.

I face adversity by being stubborn. I refuse to submit to it & I become obsessed by the desire to prove this.
    I have a "I will NOT let this defeat me!" attitude. Especially when it comes to other people trying to bring me down or cause problems for me.
    I become determined to thrive whenever anyone says I can't. I sometimes go a bit overboard about this.
    Not that I mean to sound like Charlie Sheen but winning is the best revenge.

We may not be able to completely control our lives, but we can control what we do about them.

Smile & everyone will wonder what you know that they don't.
    prhoshay, Ellen, Kip and 1 others like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Whizzing and moaning and complaining never solved a problem. Like my father in law used to say back those ears and get after it.
    prhoshay, Ellen and Miss Scarlet like this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

+ Reply to Thread