+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1680Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

This isn't MY trouble but I wanted to share a terrible incident with you all.
    A young man on my street went away to boot camp on June 6. Friday during some exercises, he fell dead. They suspect a massive heart attack, but I haven't heard any autopsy results yet. He was in a program that I'm not familiar with. He was to do his boot camp now and then go into the marines full time next year, after graduation. He was seventeen years old and a class mate of my grandson. I think every parent here will probably experience a moment of sadness for that family. He was a very nice young man and very polite to everyone in our neighborhood.
    Kevin, wish I'd taken time to know you better. Your pleasant smile and wave was always appreciated.

Muduh, it saddens me anytime I hear of one of our men or women in uniform passing. The loss of a life is very sad, especially one so young serving our country. The program you are talking about is quite common now. My nephew did it for the National Guard a few years back.

That's the same age as my son. How sad.
    Count your blessings!

Take the time now people to say "Hello", ask someone how their day is, even invite them for a glass of Iced Tea, cup of coffee or to share a meal with you. This shows that life is too short, precious and ends unexpectedly at times. The next time you are walking down a street and someone smiles at you, smile back and say "Hello", nod your head. If you are able, do something for that person ahead of you in the checkout line like giving up a few of your pennies. There is something I do frequently at starbucks and other places I go for food, soda or whatever, If there is a member of our Police or fire department or a member of any armed services in uniform buying something such as a cup of coffee, soda, or even a little more, I usually tell the clerk that I'll take care of it and when the person turns to thank me I usually say "No - Thank YOU for doing what you do for our city, or country.
    Last edited by just1paul; 07-03-2005 at 10:58 PM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

gabriel, one of my sons is a fire fighter. All the restaurants in our little town used to give them free or reduced rate food and drinks. So many people complained that they didn't get any freebies that the fire and police no longer do either. I'm sure that they all can pay for their own, but it really was a nice gesture.

Muduh - watching the fireworks just now, made me think of our service men and women. I am sorry this young man left this world so soon. To think, he was ready to go fight for his country, knowing we are in a time of war. Wow. Quite a testament to his character I bet.

Bless you Gabriel. I have read many of your posts, and your kindness and generosity always makes me smile. Certainly thought provoking - I would never have thought to buy a police officer a cup o coffee-until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    gabriel, one of my sons is a fire fighter. All the restaurants in our little town used to give them free or reduced rate food and drinks. So many people complained that they didn't get any freebies that the fire and police no longer do either. I'm sure that they all can pay for their own, but it really was a nice gesture.

Isn't that just awful. I know our Fire Fighters and Police make ok money, but for what they do, you couldn't give me enough money. Most of them do it because THEY LIKE WHAT THEY DO! Those people complaining should be ashamed, and I would hope that someone steps up to the register sometime and pays for those brave women and men who protect and serve.
    Last edited by just1paul; 07-03-2005 at 11:18 PM. Reason: change anda to and
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    Take the time now people to say "Hello", ask someone how their day is, even invite them for a glass of Iced Tea, cup of coffee or to share a meal with you. This shows that life is too short, precious and ends unexpectedly at times. The next time you are walking down a street and someone smiles at you, smile back and say "Hello", nod your head. If you are able, do something for that person ahead of you in the checkout line like giving up a few of your pennies. There is something I do frequently at starbucks and other places I go for food, soda or whatever, If there is a member of our Police or fire department or a member of any armed services in uniform buying something such as a cup of coffee, soda, or even a little more, I usually tell the clerk that I'll take care of it and when the person turns to thank me I usually say "No - Thank YOU for doing what you do for our city, or country.)
    Very well said, gabriel, and what a wonderful gesture. Since my son has been away in military training I am even more conscious of the sacrifices of our military and their families, and I know the support from generous people like you is greatly appreciated.
    Today we were in Lowe's and I saw a sign that said they were giving 10% discount to all military personnel this weekend, including retired military. My husband is a deputy sheriff, and when he goes to the Kwik Shop they never charge him for coffee... I think if businesses want to give discounts or freebies to military, police and fire personnel that's just fine. It's a small thing compared to what they do for us, and I can't believe that people actually complain about something like that.

I know our Fire Fighters and Police make ok money
    I guess that depends on where you live. My husband has been in law enforcement for 30 years and finally made $40,000 for the first time.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 07-03-2005 at 11:16 PM.

Take the time now people to say "Hello", ask someone how their day is, even invite them for a glass of Iced Tea, cup of coffee or to share a meal with you. This shows that life is too short, precious and ends unexpectedly at times. The next time you are walking down a street and someone smiles at you, smile back and say "Hello", nod your head. If you are able, do something for that person ahead of you in the checkout line like giving up a few of your pennies. There is something I do frequently at starbucks and other places I go for food, soda or whatever, If there is a member of our Police or fire department or a member of any armed services in uniform buying something such as a cup of coffee, soda, or even a little more, I usually tell the clerk that I'll take care of it and when the person turns to thank me I usually say "No - Thank YOU for doing what you do for our city, or country.
    Beautiful sentiment, Gabriel.

I used to work for 7-11 and we were told to give police and firefighters free coffee or fountain drinks, basically the stuff we could write off. I used to give it to service men and those I knew to be veterans, too.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bannana
    Bless you Gabriel. I have read many of your posts, and your kindness and generosity always makes me smile. Certainly thought provoking - I would never have thought to buy a police officer a cup o coffee-until now.
    Yeah, that gabriel is a keeper!!!

+ Reply to Thread