+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1967Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Good idea about the video equipment. I'll see how that idea goes over.

We have talked about going to the door and its danger. My parents have always done it and they may not want me to do it, but they will not hesitate. It's really odd.

When you open the door, there is only about a foot beteen you and potential attacker. They can stab, shoot or grab you, and there's not much you can do at that point.

I also question why someone would approach my house unexpected and uninvited. They must know people are apprehensive. IMO, it's inconsiderate to do it, unless there is a dire emergency. Most people have a cell or can go to a store for emergency assistance.

It's got to be a generational thing. My parents still do it too, and they still answer the phone even when they don't know the number. For me, I just don't want to deal with the annoying salespeople - so I never open the door if I don't know you and I never answer the phone if I don't know the number!
    Photobabe likes this.

I don't even like the idea of a "security" system. You have to let the crew in to set it up ... so they know how to by-pass it!

However ... you could put up a sign that says there is security or surveillance.

I don't know if they live in a high crime area ... or how the Police operate ... but you can ask that they are checked-on periodically.
    See if there is a Senior Safety program in place at the local Senior center or the Police Department.

Hey ... how about a dog? Good for security and Blood pressure!
    Also ... even a "Beware of Dog" sign can cause a potential perpetrator to by pass the home.

That's all I have ... but will check back if I think of something else.
    cablejockey likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Every place is safe until it's NOT. I don't have real sympathy for people who moan and groan about "This never/has never happened here"....the truism is that anyplace that there are people, there is potential for danger/trouble. People watch people for patterns and opportunities. We are also in difficult economic times and increased drug usage. Something to think about. The police aren't waiting at your corner to make an immediate response to your call; it can seem like an hours when it's only been a few minutes since you called. It's important that we all take a proactive stance and not put ourselves in unnecessary danger. Be smart.
    Lizard likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I let my answering machine catch it if I don't recognize the phone number calling but I listen for the message in case it's something important. Sometimes friends or relatives might have their car break down and their cell phone is misplaced or not working so they could be calling from a business or a strangers house or cell phone. I'd hate to disregard the call just because I don't recognize the number and they may not be able to call me twice or leave a number for me to call them back.

I look out the window (from the guest bedroom, not from the window by the front door) before answering the door, especially if I wasn't expecting anyone that day.

I suppose I could be more cautious and ask for people to identify themselves before opening the door.

I do not answer the door if I am not expecting someone...unless it is a neighbor or neighborhood child
    prhoshay, cablejockey and Debb70 like this.
    You can do it!

Well Halloween and Trick or Treaters is just around the corner.

Last year I had kids push the door further open because they wanted to see/pet the dog!

I also turned off the porch light at 10 pm ... and covered the door bell button. 3 teen girls ripped the cover off the bell and rang the bell anyway!
    Bold and rude.

SO ... can't win for losing.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

That is rude echo. I wouldn't answer the door after 8.00 pm when I was alone and living in our house. Most of Halloween is done in the malls now, where its warm for the little ones. I see some pretty big kids ,not dressed up -banging on doors, no way would I answer them. We are in a condo - no kids, so no treats required.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Treats are always required! I will not go through Halloween without chocolate!!! I'm either out or don't answer the door! The only kids I like are the teeny-tinys who come around before dark with their parents!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

We don't even get the teeny tiny, they get all dressed up and it's usually so cold they have to put a coat on . Now they end up at the mall, and have lots of fun. This is an adult only condo, so not even teeny tiny make it in I eat chocolate all year round, so Halloween is nothing special for me
    bearwme1 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread