+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1551Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Talk about your troubles

My husband's company (where I also worked for a few months) used to have a woman who was retired Army (quartermaster) in charge of supplies. She actually had little containers that would hold about 10 paper clips out on the supply shelves. If you took ANYTHING, you were expected to mark it on a sheet of paper. If the paper clips got down to about 2, she would refill the container up to 10 (if she was in a good mood that day).

I don't play those games. I had stuff at home (when you shop at Sam's Club, you ALWAYS have surplus), and I took in my own stuff. I do think a company should provide you with a working mouse without a fight. Is it just your department, or is the whole place? (I once had a boss who expected one of our engineers to provide her own calculator.)

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

pikachu - I must say I'm glad to hear that a government agency is concerned about costs. But having you work with a flaky mouse is costing them money because it slows you down. If it's the old kind of mouse with a roller ball, those can easily be cleaned (they pick up lint and grime on the inside rollers). I have no idea how to fix the infrared ones.

Could you go to your boss and say something like, "Maybe it's me, but this mouse is really slowing me down. Could I trade with you for a day to see if it's something I'm doing wrong?"

Regarding the toner cartridges - if they're laser toner cartridges, there are companies that pick up used cartridges, refill them, and deliver them back. When I had an outside business, I used a company like that and the quality was really great. If we ever got a cartridge that didn't work properly, they'd bring out another one right away. If there's a company like that where you are, maybe your department could save enough on cartridges to buy you a new mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Seriously, work is being ridiculous about ordering supplies anymore. Last month, we weren't able to order ANY toner cartridges for our printers because they wanted us to only order Office Depot toner cartridges and they didn't have Office Depot brand cartridges for the printers that needed ink.

This month, I wanted to order a new mouse because my mouse has been acting flaky for a month. I'll be scrolling across a document and it will click on stuff even though I didn't ask it to or I'll be trying to click on something and have to click 4 or 5 times before it registers it. I picked one of the cheapest mice at the Office Depot website (under $15) and I got called to the Bureau Chief's office to justify the purchase. Finally, I told them to forget it, I'd wait until my mouse fully died before ordering a new one.

I understand the state wanting to save money and avoid unnecessary costs but they seem to be going way too far lately. This reminds me of when I worked at Highway Safety and one year towards the end of the fiscal year, we weren't allowed to order highlighter markers or Scotch tape. If we wanted them, we had to buy them with our own money because the state would not provide them as they usually did. Once the next fiscal year started, we were able to order them again but it was a pain until then.

This fiscal year just started in July so we shouldn't be out of money yet!
    This gets me totally steamed (although I know teachers have dealt with this for years). Of course I'm assuming that if you told them you couldn't do a particular task because you had no scotch tape, then you would have gotten in trouble for that!! I'm sorry you have to deal with this, pikachu!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

My mouse is not the type with a roller. I know how to clean those so I could have fixed it if that was the problem. It acts to me like mice do when their battery is low. However, I can't find a battery compartment on it. It's a Dell mouse. I tried looking it up online and all I found was other people also asking how to change the battery on a Dell mouse.

I did tell my supervisor about the mouse and he was the one who told me to order a new one.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    My mouse is not the type with a roller. I know how to clean those so I could have fixed it if that was the problem. It acts to me like mice do when their battery is low. However, I can't find a battery compartment on it. It's a Dell mouse. I tried looking it up online and all I found was other people also asking how to change the battery on a Dell mouse.

I did tell my supervisor about the mouse and he was the one who told me to order a new one.

I looked it up and the battery compartment isn't on the bottom. It looks like the entire top comes off and the battery compartment is inside the unit.
    It looks like the battery compartment has two little doors.
    You could probably call Dell and ask them?

I searched "where is battery compartment on a Dell mouse" and found a PDF with illustration.

Try this: ftp://ftp.dell.com/manuals/all-produ...nual_en-us.pdf
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    My husband's company (where I also worked for a few months) used to have a woman who was retired Army (quartermaster) in charge of supplies. She actually had little containers that would hold about 10 paper clips out on the supply shelves. If you took ANYTHING, you were expected to mark it on a sheet of paper. If the paper clips got down to about 2, she would refill the container up to 10 (if she was in a good mood that day).

I don't play those games. I had stuff at home (when you shop at Sam's Club, you ALWAYS have surplus), and I took in my own stuff. I do think a company should provide you with a working mouse without a fight. Is it just your department, or is the whole place? (I once had a boss who expected one of our engineers to provide her own calculator.)
    Now I know why they always keep my paper clips at various drive through windows.
    AZChristian likes this.

Posts about computer mice and office supplies probably belong in the Koffee Klatch thread rather than in this one
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Maybe it's because I'm feeling under the weather, but I just feel quite frustrated. As our parents age, I know we all must go through issues with them, but honestly. I can't believe they throw caution out the window sometimes. We have talked about the risks involved of going to the door when you do not know the person who is there. Just because they ring the bell and look friendly, doesn't mean they are friendly. They could be a robber or worse.

We talk about the stories in the news of elderly people who were murdered and robbed in their home. Often times it's by someone they barely knew or some they opened the door for thinking it was for a legitimate reason. Yet, my parents continue to open the door to strangers. I'm very upset about it. They refuse to stop doing it. If that bell rings, they are going to open the door. It happend again this week and it was a young man asking them to borrow money. They barely know this person. Thankfully, he left.

I guess there's nothing I can do about it. It just worries me so. Any suggestions?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't think there's anything you can do about it other than continue to remind them that this is unsafe behavior and how you feel about it. Would they have seen this as acceptable behavior of you when you were home alone? It might help to remind them of what they taught you. You'll know when you need to shut up. Good luck.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Maybe it's because I'm feeling under the weather, but I just feel quite frustrated. As our parents age, I know we all must go through issues with them, but honestly. I can't believe they throw caution out the window sometimes. We have talked about the risks involved of going to the door when you do not know the person who is there. Just because they ring the bell and look friendly, doesn't mean they are friendly. They could be a robber or worse.

We talk about the stories in the news of elderly people who were murdered and robbed in their home. Often times it's by someone they barely knew or some they opened the door for thinking it was for a legitimate reason. Yet, my parents continue to open the door to strangers. I'm very upset about it. They refuse to stop doing it. If that bell rings, they are going to open the door. It happend again this week and it was a young man asking them to borrow money. They barely know this person. Thankfully, he left.

I guess there's nothing I can do about it. It just worries me so. Any suggestions?
    I'm afraid I'm like your parents - I open the door to strangers. I'm a devotee of true crime boards so I'm very aware of what can happen. But I also know that the risk is minimal in most places. When I grew up, most people didn't even lock their houses at night. People left their keys in their unlocked cars. It's a different time now, but I think it's hard to get rid of that trusting mindset.

On the other hand, I'm phobic about having workmen and other service people in the house. In my area, there have been women murdered by carpet layers, carpet cleaners, etc. I've been robbed by a cleaning service employee (it was a bonded cleaning service) - one of the employees stole a credit card.

Maybe you could install a video surveillance system at the front door to help allay your worries.

+ Reply to Thread