+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1359Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Re: Talk about your troubles

mcmomof2, Could you maybe volunteer in your son's class or school? You could observe firsthand and it might provide you with insight into the best way to approach the situation.
    Photobabe likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You've got to be careful not to make your son seen as a "mama's boy"; I can see the buzzards circling with that morsel. That can bring him more trouble than you ever imagined. Make sure he knows, and I know you have, that he can talk to you at any time, about anything. Keep close tabs, while trying to remain as invisible as possible unless, of course, he invites you closer. Lord knows, you don't want to embarrass him if you can avoid it...........and sometimes you can't!

And harp on his dad to get more involved in his life. Your son needs him. Drag the man by his ear, if you have to!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Newbie

I received an email back from the school counselor today and she has been working with the boys in this class for a few years trying to teach them respect etc and she told me that she is out at recess and lunch every day keeping an eye on things and watching those kids who are on her radar. She told me that she saw Matt today and he was playing with a group of kids. She also said that she will have him on her radar going forward. She has given me some ideas of how to be there for him and guide him without the "hand holding". Much like the suggestions I received here! I feel much better after talking with her and I have a plan in place. I do volunteer at the school. I am a Room mom as well as I do yard duty once a month so it's my way of spying on him without him knowing!! I also mentioned that he could invite a friend to go see a movie this weekend. We have no sports and are in town so I figured it would be good for him to get some one on one time with someone from school. Thanks again everyone. Appreciate your support!!
    inthegarden and AZChristian like this.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    As some of you may have noticed, I've been pretty angry, careless, stressed out, and even pretty hateful for the past couple weeks or so now.
    And again I allow myself to get riled up way more than I should. Even more now, too.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm feeling bummed out today. I was planning on visiting my dad next week but after figuring out how much money I'll have left after paying bills on Thursday, I found that I'll actually be short. I had to take money out of savings and from one of my credit cards to cover my bills. I sure don't have any extra money to go out of town.

In addition, our Council of the Blind is having it's annual fund-raiser picnic September 21st. I was supposed to bring hot dogs but I'm not going to be able to buy anything new. I'll just have to find something I already have at home to take for the picnic.

I feel like I'm going to be disappointing a bunch of people but it can't be helped. They're just going to have to understand.

The holidays aren't too far around the corner so I can plan to see my dad for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years and I have other things I can bring to the picnic.
    Masterchef 5 Pool: Registration Closed
    So You Think You Can Dance 11 Pool: Registration deadline: July 9th
    Face Off 7: TBA

Pikachu, I think it's awesome that you have a budget and already know what funds you will have available. That's a very valuable trait to have. If people can't understand that, there's something wrong with them. I would just let them know in advance, so they can make other arrangements.

Also, in light of the fact it's for a charity, there may be a store that would donate the food you need. They can write it off and do a good deed as well.

I'm sure your dad will look forward to seeing you as soon as you're able to get there. I'm sure he would understand.
    Ellen likes this.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Good thought, Debb. If Pikachu can get a letter from the Council of the Blind, she can likely get the hot dogs donated by a local supermarket or two. Especially if she puts up a little sign that says "Hot Dogs provided by ______" near the serving station.

Pikachu - I also respect you for having a budget and prioritizing your spending. Sometimes, that's not the FUN thing to do, but it's the responsible thing.
    Ellen likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I'm feeling bummed out today. I was planning on visiting my dad next week but after figuring out how much money I'll have left after paying bills on Thursday, I found that I'll actually be short. I had to take money out of savings and from one of my credit cards to cover my bills. I sure don't have any extra money to go out of town.

In addition, our Council of the Blind is having it's annual fund-raiser picnic September 21st. I was supposed to bring hot dogs but I'm not going to be able to buy anything new. I'll just have to find something I already have at home to take for the picnic.

I feel like I'm going to be disappointing a bunch of people but it can't be helped. They're just going to have to understand.

The holidays aren't too far around the corner so I can plan to see my dad for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years and I have other things I can bring to the picnic.
    You can only do what you can do, unless you want to put the screws to yourself. Many people opt to do that and then they moan and groan to anyone who will listen.....or they borrow from soon-to-be-ex-friends.

Patience, Grasshopper. All things in time.
    Ellen likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

pikachu ... I do love the donation idea. Hopefully there is someone locally who will donate the dogs.

You have such fantastic artistic talents, I'll bet you could make a sign promoting the donor ... and if they have a website ... maybe you could design a special hot dog they can use on their web page ?

I have great respect for people who have and follow a working budget .... and I also have a special caring spot for girls who care about their Dads.

You can send some extra hugs to your Dad from me.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Seriously, work is being ridiculous about ordering supplies anymore. Last month, we weren't able to order ANY toner cartridges for our printers because they wanted us to only order Office Depot toner cartridges and they didn't have Office Depot brand cartridges for the printers that needed ink.

This month, I wanted to order a new mouse because my mouse has been acting flaky for a month. I'll be scrolling across a document and it will click on stuff even though I didn't ask it to or I'll be trying to click on something and have to click 4 or 5 times before it registers it. I picked one of the cheapest mice at the Office Depot website (under $15) and I got called to the Bureau Chief's office to justify the purchase. Finally, I told them to forget it, I'd wait until my mouse fully died before ordering a new one.

I understand the state wanting to save money and avoid unnecessary costs but they seem to be going way too far lately. This reminds me of when I worked at Highway Safety and one year towards the end of the fiscal year, we weren't allowed to order highlighter markers or Scotch tape. If we wanted them, we had to buy them with our own money because the state would not provide them as they usually did. Once the next fiscal year started, we were able to order them again but it was a pain until then.

This fiscal year just started in July so we shouldn't be out of money yet!
    Masterchef 5 Pool: Registration Closed
    So You Think You Can Dance 11 Pool: Registration deadline: July 9th
    Face Off 7: TBA

+ Reply to Thread