+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1777Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Thank you guys so much for signing, I really, really appreciate it. The numbers have grown today just since it was posted here. Woot!

I wonder if maybe a mod could move this to make a thread under current events since it has kind of grown to news coverage now? I feel bad about high-jacking the troubles thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Thank you guys so much for signing, I really, really appreciate it. The numbers have grown today just since it was posted here. Woot!

I wonder if maybe a mod could move this to make a thread under current events since it has kind of grown to news coverage now? I feel bad about high-jacking the troubles thread!
    Don't feel bad, troubles come in all forms!! If you need more signatures, start another thread maybe( if you are allowed) the more that see it and sign the better
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

4 computers were stolen from a Medical Group building ... that had information that jeopardizes potentially 4.3 MILLION patients. Note that the rehab doctors involved in my care are/were part of this group. Also note that this happened 5 weeks ago ... but they waited to let the public know for their convenience.
    Dang!

See here:

Four computers containing personal data for some 4 million Advocate Medical Group patients were stolen last month from one of the company's Park Ridge administrative offices, hospital officials announced Friday.

The computers, stolen during an overnight burglary on July 15, contained patient information including names, addresses, dates of birth and Social Security numbers, but did not contain patient medical records, officials said

The computers did contain some clinical information, such as treating physicians and/or departments, diagnoses, medical record numbers, medical service codes and health insurance data.

Advocate began sending letters about the burglary to affected patients Friday. The files for an estimated 4.03 million patients includes anyone who has visited a doctor in the Advocate Medical Group, a physician-led group that includes about 1,000 doctors at more than 200 locations in the Chicago area and central Illinois. It is part of Advocate Health Care, the largest health system in Illinois with 13 hospitals.

"Security is a top priority for our health care ministry. Nothing leads us to believe that the computers were taken for the information they contained or that any patient information has been used inappropriately," said Kevin McCune, Advocate's chief medical officer, in a statement.

The computers were password protected, but unencrypted, officials said.

Advocate is offering patients credit monitoring services. Instructions for enrollment will be provided in the letters sent to patients.

Stephanie Johnson, an Advocate spokeswoman, said officials have also stepped up security measures by adding 24/7 security personnel at the office where the break-in took place at 205 W. Touhy Ave.

Security cameras were in place at the time of the burglary, she said.

The Park Ridge Police Department was notified after the break-in occurred, but to date have not been able to recover the computers. Police officials did not return a call seeking comment.

Advocate officials waited more than a month to contact patients after the security breach occurred, Johnson said, because they first wanted to conduct an internal audit to see what data the computers contained, and then pinpoint which patients may have been affected.

The hospital group has set up a call center for patients who believe they may be affected and a website, Notice for Advocate Medical Group Patients Regarding Privacy Incident, that went live Friday.

Officials from the Illinois attorney general's office said Friday they tell consumers who call the office's identity theft hotline to:

• Consider placing a fraud alert on your credit report, which lasts for 90 days. Only one major consumer reporting agency — TransUnion, Experian, or Equifax — needs to be contacted.

• Obtain one of three free yearly credit reports at annualcreditreport.com and monitor the reports throughout the year.

• Consider placing a freeze on your credit report by contacting each consumer reporting agency separately in writing. That process will disable access to your credit report by any new potential creditors unless you provide the PIN that the consumer reporting agency provides to you.

The attorney general's office recommends consumers with questions contact the identity theft hotline at 866-999-5630.

Personal data of 4 million Advocate patients stolen - DailyHerald.com
    Cornholio likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

What a mess, Echo. The crooks have had more than 5 weeks to use SS numbers. Be sure to use the credit monitoring service and contact the credit agencies.
    A friend of mine had her identity stolen about 25 years ago. It was stolen because the wrong person got her SS number. It took many years, many letters and many hours on the phone for her to get things straightened out.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I know ... it just really stinks that the victims have to work to not be further victimized!

Mohandas Gandhi

Echo, I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I had to read the article to make sure you weren't in MI because one of the hospitals here had something very similar happen - and again, they waited over a month before telling the public!!

I actually just had to deal with identity theft a few weeks ago. Luckily, our bank caught it right away. Someone had my husband's debit card number (which is really a mastercard that then comes out of our bank account). He still had his card. The bank mentioned using any "alternative" ATM machines recently - and we did at a local fair. So note to all to be careful of those!! They got $3K out of our bank account before the bank called my husband - and they did it in the span of 2 hours. Luckily the bank denied all the charges and we were able to get the money back.

The better story I have is when the FBI agent knocked on my door!! Apparently someone got my SSN and had been claiming unemployment under my name! Once he found me at work he realized it was a bigger operation than one person scamming unemployment! The hassle was that then the IRS sent me a notice of underpayment for not paying taxes on my unemployment earnings! So then I had to make a fraud claim with the IRS as well. Definitely helps in that situation to have an FBI agent's name and number to give them in order to validate your fraud claim. By the time I was done explaining it, I think the IRS agent was madder than I was!

Yes, I got my letter today with instructions. I have a little sinus infection or the beginning of a cold that has me a little lightheaded so I skimmed the letter and will act on it tomorrow. I am furious that they waited so long to tell us.

The identity theft thing really frightens me.

Mohandas Gandhi

Man, sorry to hear these stories of identity theft. That's very serious.

Last week someone hacked the email of a business colleague of mine overnight. She discovered it very early in the morning and contacted her email account people. As luck would have it, it was on a morning that I arrived at work much earlier than normal. She said DO NOT OPEN ANY EMAIL SENT FROM ME LAST NIGHT. She explained what happend and that the email would grab my address list and let the hackers send the thing to my list. Sure enough, there was a message waiting for me from her address. I deleted, so trouble was diverted. If I had not seen her, I would certainly have opened it.

My computer guy assures me I have lots of protection for virus, spyware, etc., on my computer, but you can never be too careful.

Several years ago my account was in the red because someone had cloned my Visa debit card and bought 3 grand worth of urinals at a depot in a city I've never been to. The bank gave me such grief about it, asking me if I had given my card to anyone, had I lost it, etc for over an hour before they agreed to put a fraud alert on my account. I finally called the construction depot myself and asked to speak to the account manager and asked questions about the transaction. She went back and looked at footage and said the "man" had an ID that matched his name on the card with my numbers on it. I then sent that information to my bank and had them call the place themselves. I shouldn't have had to do that but in today's customer service NOT real service I had to defend myself. It took about a month and they sent me a letter stating that they had solved the problem and sent me a new debit card with a different number on it. I never use my card as a credit card anymore, just debit with a pin number. It made me so upset that they disbelieved me, the customer for so long I had to act on it myself. In that month, I could only write checks, I couldn't get any cash from an ATM.........so frustrating.

Hope all gets cleared up soon echo! My hunny also had his identity stolen 12 years ago. Took forever for him to get the situation sorted out.
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Regular

Hi Everyone-been a lurker for a while and haven't really posted much, usually in some of the TV sections. I have an issue that I need some advice on. Compared to some of the others problems they have experienced this is probably just a bump in the road, but I'm still bothered and upset by it. My son started school a few days ago and in the process of asking the kids how their day was and who they hang out with, my son broke down in tears yesterday. He says that nobody likes him and that he doesn't have any friends. He goes to a small private school with about 60 kids to his class (half boys). He is now in Jr. High(been there for 6 years) so even though they stay with the same kids, he will be switching classes/teachers for the first time. I'm sure he is nervous etc. But I tried to explain to him that the boys like him but he keeps saying no that no one will hang out with him etc. He said yesterday that he went to hang out with one of the kids and the boy just walked away. Today when I dropped him off at school I made him go hang out in the area with the other kids and he kinda stood off to the side and didn't really go and talk to anyone. He really wants to just play basketball or soccer at lunch, but the kids that like to play those games have stronger personalitities and my son tends to get lost in the shuffle. He really isn't a leader and totally outgoing. He's usually stayed out of the center of attention and tends to "hang on the edges of groups". He did have two really good friends up until about 4th grade but then they got put in different classes and now he doesn't really do much with either of them. He's still trying to hang onto one of the friendships, but this boy is really flakey. One day he is his friend and the next day he doesn't give him the time of day. I've tried to tell him to hang out with other boys, but he doesn't have that much in common with those boys. (they like art, drama etc and he likes sports). Any suggestions on how to make things easier. I've told him that his cousin was in a similar situation where he really didn't have any best friends at his grammar school and even high school. He is in college now and he's just starting to make the friends you keep for life...Thanks for any suggestions you could give me.
    m

+ Reply to Thread