+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1967Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Talk about your troubles

When something "smells fishy" as this does, the best advice is from a movie quote: Follow the money. Somebody benefitted from this other than just the amount the school is being paid. And if the school functioned before without the additional money, they will still function without it. Keep fighting!!! And keep us posted.
    Cornholio likes this.

I didn't know what a SAC was and Google is my friend. There is a site School Advisory Councils - florida-family.net that explains a lot and might be of some use to you and your neighbors. It basically states that the School Advisory Council (SAC) must be representative of those who are impacted by their actions.

Here is how it begins ... but there is a lot more:

"What is a School Advisory Council?
    The School Advisory Council (SAC) is a team of people representing various segments of the community–parents, teachers, students, administrators, support staff, business/ industry people and other interested community members. "

So ... while the email sounds fine ... I am wondering if you may have to file a FOIA request to force them to be forthcoming.

In order to go deeper ... you may want to get a list of everyone on the SAC ... and 50% must be school employees.

Please keep us posted.

If something seems untoward ... remember to include legislators higher up than local.

Cheering for your team.
    Cornholio and AZChristian like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I just paged back & looked at the picture of the cellphone tower. That thing looks like a smokestack!

I hope something can still be done. There have been a few times around here that cell companies wanted to put in a tower, but the neighbors fought it tooth & nail, and were able to stop it from happening. But this monstrosity is already there, & on a SCHOOL property to boot!

The whole thing sounds fishy & underhanded to me. Someone wanted to sneak this in & not let anyone know 'till it was too late.

I hope you & your neighbors can do something. I'd be hopping mad.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I'd be hopping mad.
    I am hopping mad and I am nowhere close to it ... not even in Florida !
    Cornholio and AZChristian like this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Wow, thank you so much for the SAC info Echo, that is extremely helpful. The more we learn, the fishier this thing gets. NO parents were aware and NO neighbors were notified. No one had the opportunity to say no, the tower just appeared one day.

A very vocal parent at the elementary school told us that there are often only 4 or 5 random people at a SAC meeting and it is not any sort of formal approval process for something like this. The PTA was never even told about this!

Last night we had a meeting of everyone on our little street. We are lawyered up now! We met with our attorney last night, a man with over 30 years experience with school board zoning who has worked for 2 school boards in the past on zoning issues and knows all the ins-and-outs. I felt much better after hearing him speak about this and that we're not crazy to be upset at how it was handled. The approval process was extremely suspect and we ARE going to get to the bottom of it.

We've been picketing in front of the school every morning this week. This morning the FOX news truck was there and we've already been on NBC. Last night my neighbors were on WINK TV:
    Parents want change after cell phone tower goes up on campus

My neighbor started an online petition - if any of you would sign it that would be AWESOME. You don't have to have your name displayed if you don't want and it doesn't matter if you aren't in FL. I would super appreciate it if you would sign!
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/971/741/031/stop-the-cell-tower-at-poinciana-elementary-school/

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I signed, Cornholio. My comment is the one about following the money trail. Something is fishy.
    Cornholio likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I signed, Cornholio. My comment is the one about following the money trail. Something is fishy.
    You ROCK, AZChristian. Thank you sooooo much! And thanks to anyone else who will sign too!
    AZChristian likes this.

I signed, it does say Canada, so there ya go!
    Cornholio likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I signed, and commented.
    Cornholio likes this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

They send a nice thank you via email
    Cornholio likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread