+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1622Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I stopped putting my cell phone in my bra. It's a good way for easy access and to make sure you don't miss a call, however, I saw a story on tv about a young lady, 20 something who got cancer in the exact spot where she kept her cell phone in her bra for 2 years. I'm serious. There isn't any hard evidence on it, but I don't want to take the chance.
    The evidence on whether cell phone usage causes cancer is mixed. However, of cell phone users who do get brain cancer, a significant number get brain cancer on the side to which they generally hold the cell phone. That's correlational data and doesn't imply causality - there could be another factor at work - but it's enough that I don't make my cell phone my main phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    The evidence on whether cell phone usage causes cancer is mixed. However, of cell phone users who do get brain cancer, a significant number get brain cancer on the side to which they generally hold the cell phone. That's correlational data and doesn't imply causality - there could be another factor at work - but it's enough that I don't make my cell phone my main phone.
    Mine is not my main phone either. I actually use mine pretty seldom. It is an "emergency" and convenience item.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    $2,000 a month = $24,000 a year. How does that save the jobs of teachers? There IS no bright side to an eye sore like that.
    We found out that what the school board is being paid is actually only $1,200/month = $14,400 per year. That's not even enough to pay one teacher's aide!

We are getting some press coverage! Last night my neighbor, Ellen, was on NBC news about the cell tower. Here's a link:

Parents upset over cell tower at elementary school - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida
    beerbelly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    We are getting some press coverage! Last night my neighbor, Ellen, was on NBC news about the cell tower. Here's a link:

Parents upset over cell tower at elementary school - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida
    Did they say the plan had been in the works for a number of years?

I am just wondering when you bought your home and if the previous owner knew and that's why they moved/sold.

Just keep at it. If another one is "on hold" ... perhaps yours can be as well.
    Cornholio likes this.

Mohandas Gandhi

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Did they say the plan had been in the works for a number of years?

I am just wondering when you bought your home and if the previous owner knew and that's why they moved/sold.

Just keep at it. If another one is "on hold" ... perhaps yours can be as well.
    The realtor has a responsibility to disclose things like this . . . if the plans were in the works for years, and you just bought the house last year, you may have legal recourse. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it should go on your list of options.
    Cornholio and Photobabe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    The realtor has a responsibility to disclose things like this . . . if the plans were in the works for years, and you just bought the house last year, you may have legal recourse. I hope it doesn't come to that, but it should go on your list of options.
    Yep! Just keep it in mind ... and you may want to see who else has purchased homes in the last couple of years.

There's power in numbers.
    Cornholio likes this.

Mohandas Gandhi

I'm not a realtor so I'm just asking...Would the realtor (or realtors in general) be privy to the knowledge that the school board agreed to a cell tower? If the parents and staff didn't know, the realtor probably didn't know either. I know they have a responsibility to disclose certain things but that doesn't necessarily mean they would know about this particular kind of thing. And if the realtor should have known, where should they have been able to find out that kind of information?
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

They have access to public records, and an ethical responsibility to know about things like this. We were once looking at a house that we really liked, but the realtor said, "I am obligated to tell you that a freeway will be going through about 500 feet from here within the next 5 years." We didn't buy that house.

I based what I wrote on the comment above that in the news report, someone said that plans had been in the works for years. SOMEONE had to know about it, and the realtor would be high on the list of people who should have known.

AZChristian, I am so glad the realtor told you about the freeway and that you didn't end up in that house! Whew!

As we delve deeper into this, we have learned that NO ONE (outside the school board) knew this was coming. It was not filed anywhere as a matter of public record until the permit was filed with the county on July 24, 2013. Then several weeks later, the tower magically appeared. A school board superintendent met with several of us neighbors in the cul-de-sac Friday afternoon and he told us that it was approved in April of 2011 at a "SAC" meeting.

Today I emailed all members of the school board and our county commissioners a letter requesting a copy of the minutes from this meeting, how many people were in attendance and a breakdown of the vote. Some more background as we are learning things: essentially, there was a normal concrete pole that was used for school communication only on the same spot last week. The actual permit filed July 24 reads the following exactly: "replace existing concrete pole with communication tower."

I think this was snuck past everyone as no big deal, sort of maintenance, just replacing the pole that is already there, when in reality you are talking about a normal concrete pole (not visible from my street) being replaced with an enormous shiny metal 12 ft in circumference 75 ft tall tower. I am betting this was not made clear at the meeting or as part of the vote. I am still waiting on the meeting minutes!

I've been here for a year and a half. The house across the street from me was sold for $600,000 closing on August 5, just 9 days before this tower went up. There are 3 more houses that have purchased within the past 2 years also, all for hefty amounts. Really and truly, no one knew about this at all.

I honestly believe because other schools shot this cell tower down, they managed to sneak it quietly through here based on replacing the old concrete pole. I am hopeful that the Naples Daily News is uncovering this as they have been working on an article about it since last week. Fingers crossed.

I really, really appreciate your interest and comments. This is one of those things you never expect to affect you, but here it is. Maybe this saga will help if anyone else here runs into this.

+ Reply to Thread