+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1359Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

Cornholio

There is a site called celltowerinfo .com that has a great deal of information. I am not linking it because I,m not sure about acceptability.

The picture you posted makes that thing look huge. At least it's not a lattice style tower bey how tall is it ... and does it have warning lights on it?

It seems they can put the equipment on water towers and/or other tall structures so that may be an option to present?

And Debb ... I have cell dead zones very close to my home due to Forest Preserve wooded areas ... and my own service at home (in or out) isn't that great.

BUT ... I would rather that than that monstrosity.
    Cornholio likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Hi all... I live in Naples, FL. So the area is very flat and open. A few tall pines but otherwise no obstructions. There is 1 4-story building but otherwise not even any other buildings over 2 stories. We were well-covered by cell service already - there has been no trouble with reception. There is zero difference in reception after the tower. It is not something that was needed to provide coverage where there previously was none. The coverage has been just peachy in this area for the past 20 years. I've read online that the cell companies are putting these towers to up service speed to 4G or 5G level, not because of demand or need. The tower belongs to Sprint.

Interestingly, we just got our property tax notices with the break-down of where the money goes and the school board is already collecting about $35,000 alone per year just from THEIR SHARE of the property taxes on my little street of 12 homes. So us on our little street have already been paying them far more than this tower!

I went over and measured it yesterday - it's 12 feet in circumference all the way straight up and made of metal so it's nice and flashy and eye-catching.
    I don't think the construction is finished yet. So far there are no lights on it. It is currently 75 feet tall.

Tomorrow AM we have a group picketing in front of the school to make sure the parents know as they drop kids off the first day. There will be news coverage...

Thanks for the web link, Echo!
    AZChristian likes this.

A local family wanted to have a cell tower on their land and their neighbors refused to allow it. It caused a huge rift between them because they would have been paid a significant amount per month. I think the neighbor had refusal rights because the other family has to drive through their property to get to their home and they had to get permission for the trucks to go through. They live way out in the woods and I don't blame them for not wanting a huge cell tower that close. But I remember that all the abutting property owners were told ahead of time. I don't know if they had a say.
    Count your blessings!

My inlaws were approached about a tower several years ago but neighbors shot it down just to find out later one of them got the tower on their property. It's all about the money for some people. I do like the towers that are at least disguised as bell towers or some other ornamental design. As for the health risks, I can't say one way or the other. It seems like pretty much anything these days is a silent killer in one form or another. I would however be upset about the underhanded way it was done and the asethics. The school board should be ashamed for going behind the parents backs on this without even a discussion. That's what's most unacceptable to me.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

On the flip side, though - think of how many teachers' jobs this could be saving. Any time we have budget problems, teachers get cut, class sizes balloon, and the children suffer. If this doesn't resolve the way you'd like, you can at least take that away as the silver lining.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    On the flip side, though - think of how many teachers' jobs this could be saving. Any time we have budget problems, teachers get cut, class sizes balloon, and the children suffer. If this doesn't resolve the way you'd like, you can at least take that away as the silver lining.
    $2,000 a month = $24,000 a year. How does that save the jobs of teachers? There IS no bright side to an eye sore like that.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

What is it about this place that drains our math skills?
    Count your blessings!

I have 10 acres and I am outside of town so I would let them put one on my place and pay me. If it is generating that much money then there has to be a solution to the problem in figuring out a way to disguise it. Our schools are hurting for money and I can understand the need for the money. Hopefully a solution that is satisfactory to all is found.
    prhoshay likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post

Regarding the health effects - when I researched it a couple of years ago, I found that the risk of using a cell phone (holding it next to your ear) is much, much, much greater than living next to a cell phone tower. So if you're not worried about using a cell phone, I wouldn't be worried about living near a cell phone tower. That being said, they can have a slight effect on property values. If I were a home buyer, a cell phone tower would only affect my decision to buy if it affected my views.

I live in a semi-rural area and neighbors fight cell phone towers going up even if they're a block or more away and not visible from their homes. Everyone wants to use cell phones, but no one wants any towers put up.
    Re the 1st bolded: It worries me that both of my kids keep their cell phones in their back pockets. I know that the risks are less if you don't keep your cell phone on your person. Mine is normally in my purse, sitting on my desk, or charging. It is never on me.

In my town the people are vehement about not having cell towers anywhere. There was a prospect of one going up directly across the street from the elementary school, and I think the whole town came out to protest. Not me nor my husband. Which brings me to bolded statement #2: Everyone wants mobile phones yet no one wants to live anywhere near a tower. We had crappy service in our mountain vacation home for years and my husband was seriously interested in finding out if we could get a tower on our property. We have close to 2 acres there and are at the development's edge. Most folks thought we were nuts. But, they do pay handsomely. However, new towers went up in the area before we could find out about it. Again, everyone wants to use a cell phone, but the towers have to go somewhere. JMHO

I stopped putting my cell phone in my bra. It's a good way for easy access and to make sure you don't miss a call, however, I saw a story on tv about a young lady, 20 something who got cancer in the exact spot where she kept her cell phone in her bra for 2 years. I'm serious. There isn't any hard evidence on it, but I don't want to take the chance.

+ Reply to Thread