+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1605Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Re: Talk about your troubles

I learned today that excelling at one type of contractor job does not mean excelling at another type of contractor job. I have laid tile before. And this boy/man who has done a lot of work for me told me he could do tile. I arrived today and saw that the dining room was such a mess. It looked like a seven year old laid it; or someone severely vision challenged. I spent the whole afternoon pulling tiles, scrubbing tiles, and scraping mud.

A professional tiling company did come by an hour later (after most of the evidence of the mess had been removed). They will have the entire house completed by next week. So I do feel blessed that way.

In my aging, I am being a little more gentle with myself. I was almost going to start laying tile, but mother said she was afraid I would breathe in the particles.
    You can do it!

Lizard, you are certainly more ambitious than I am! I may be able to lay the tile, but I may not be able to get up off the floor afterwards! lol
    The problem with the tile is that if it's not laid properly it will crack later on. Good idea to get professionals on the job. I bet it will look so nice when completed.
    Lizard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Yes, one neighbor is a real estate attorney and she is leading and organizing the fight against this. We have a petition going, a reporter from our local newspaper writing an article about it and a protest with signs and requests to sign the petition in front of the school scheduled for Monday AM, first day of school. I just don't know how successful we can be at getting this moved now that it's already up. They erected it right after the most recent school board meeting. So there isn't another one for a while... shady.
    It's good you have an attorney in the neighborhood, but some real estate attorneys don't do litigation work. They don't know about filing for injunctions and law suits. The group needs to get a legal opinion from someone who handles those kind of things regularly. I wouldn't delay either.

What's so ironic is that I have family members who live in areas where cell phone reception is horrible. They contacted phone companies about allowing them to use their property for a cell phone tower. They contend that they have many offers and they have a waiting list! They pay a monthly fee to the land owner so I guess some people aren't concerned with the aesthetics. lol Certainly the company who put one up in your neigborhood had other options. Good luck.
    Cornholio likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I picked up on your comment that the tower started going up right after a school board meeting. I'm assuming that the members of the school board are elected. And I'm assuming that they may be concerned about re-election if enough people complain. Perhaps you could recommend two alternate locations where they could put the tower:

1. In their own backyard.
    2. (Being a Christian woman, I shouldn't put my other idea for where they can stick that tower.)

It was approved by the school board to be on the school property. We are told they are getting about $2,000/month from the cell company... thanks everyone for allowing me to vent on this here. I really appreciate it!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Something about your story just screamed "$$$$" when I read it yesterday. As is said, "Follow the money!" Nothing is done "Just because."
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    It was approved by the school board to be on the school property. We are told they are getting about $2,000/month from the cell company... thanks everyone for allowing me to vent on this here. I really appreciate it!
    So there is the who and why. I do think AZChristian is correct about suggesting options ... but $2,000 per month is a lot of money ... and those board members don't live there. Maybe if your neighbor attorney can connect with the ones who successfully rejected it ... they may know of legal council who is willing to be involved.

Hope this all works out.
    Cornholio likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Thank you! I just found out that there was another school about 6 miles away where a tower was erected and then removed after pushback from parents and neighbors. So there is hope...
    AZChristian and Debb70 like this.

Cornholio ... it sounds like you and your neighbors are moving in the right direction.

You all may have to think of another way to get the $2,000 per month the school will be losing.

You need an idea for a $25,000 annual fund raiser.
    Ellen likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Cornholio,
    I'm very curious about this cell phone tower going up in your neighborhood. Please describe what your cell phone reception has been before the tower was built and do you notice a difference?

Also, what is the land like where it was errected? Is it high on a hill or on flat land? How many buildings are nearby. I have read that all these things are considered when they decide where the towers go.

I can't understand why there are some areas of this country where cell phone service is so terrible bad and yet the companies refuse to build a tower there. I read an article that said it cost app. $150,000. to build one. Some communities may have to raise the funds and build their own.

+ Reply to Thread