+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1656Likes

Thread: Talk about your troubles

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: Talk about your troubles

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    Ugg! I broke my toe! Holy *blank* it hurts!

However the doctor I went to was super cute, my age and wasn't wearing a ring!
    And, so why isn't this in the Share Your Good News thread?
    Ellen likes this.

heh heh ...

I hope your toe doesn't hurt too much now! If there's any pain or you have any questions ... be sure to call your doctor!
    Ellen likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    In 4 weeks. I also made him laugh. He said it was a great way to end the day!

(He told me that Oprah has 6 toes and I asked him if he read that in 'Feet Magazine')

I also have unusual feet - only 30% of people have feet like mine!
    So why exactly are your feet unusual? I've been resisting asking that question for about 3 hours now and I just can't anymore...btw I have unusual nerve endings in my eyes which my opthamologist says are beautiful! He exclaims over them every time he checks them out...
    inthegarden likes this.

On another topic... I haven't really posted in this thread before, but now I have to.

I am sooooo bummed out. Last year my husband and I bought our current house which is kind of our dream house and we love it. The neighbors are great and the location is really central - my husband has his 3-car garage and I have my pool. Yay! All is happy.

Until I drove home from work on Wednesday to see , would you believe, an enormous cell phone tower looming dead-ahead at the end of our cul-de-sac. The cell tower was just erected on the school property of an elementary school that adjoins our small community. We residents were given zero notice that this was in the works and it was erected over the summer when parents of the elementary students had little-to-no input either. It's just a huge eyesore that will negatively impact our property values and ability to sell & not to mention any possible health effects. Our neighbor is organizing an effort to fight it, but who knows if we can do anything about it now that it's already up. We have learned that several other elementary schools in our county were able to shoot this down so it really seems shady how it just appeared all of a sudden with no warning.

Did I mention that this thing is the size of the Washington Monument?

In my area they make towers like that into fake trees. I think the answer you are looking for is to attend the next school board meeting. Then maybe recall petitions.
    Cornholio likes this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    On another topic... I haven't really posted in this thread before, but now I have to.

I am sooooo bummed out. Last year my husband and I bought our current house which is kind of our dream house and we love it. The neighbors are great and the location is really central - my husband has his 3-car garage and I have my pool. Yay! All is happy.

Until I drove home from work on Wednesday to see , would you believe, an enormous cell phone tower looming dead-ahead at the end of our cul-de-sac. The cell tower was just erected on the school property of an elementary school that adjoins our small community. We residents were given zero notice that this was in the works and it was erected over the summer when parents of the elementary students had little-to-no input either. It's just a huge eyesore that will negatively impact our property values and ability to sell & not to mention any possible health effects. Our neighbor is organizing an effort to fight it, but who knows if we can do anything about it now that it's already up. We have learned that several other elementary schools in our county were able to shoot this down so it really seems shady how it just appeared all of a sudden with no warning.

Did I mention that this thing is the size of the Washington Monument?
    They are huge - and can be unsightly. They can be disguised as trees:

Cellphone Towers Disguised as Trees Are a Puzzling Attempt at Aesthetics | Raw File | Wired.com

Really odd looking trees, but maybe better than the naked tower.

Regarding the health effects - when I researched it a couple of years ago, I found that the risk of using a cell phone (holding it next to your ear) is much, much, much greater than living next to a cell phone tower. So if you're not worried about using a cell phone, I wouldn't be worried about living near a cell phone tower.

That being said, they can have a slight effect on property values. If I were a home buyer, a cell phone tower would only affect my decision to buy if it affected my views.

I live in a semi-rural area and neighbors fight cell phone towers going up even if they're a block or more away and not visible from their homes. Everyone wants to use cell phones, but no one wants any towers put up.
    Cornholio likes this.

Here is a pic of it...

Yes, one neighbor is a real estate attorney and she is leading and organizing the fight against this. We have a petition going, a reporter from our local newspaper writing an article about it and a protest with signs and requests to sign the petition in front of the school scheduled for Monday AM, first day of school. I just don't know how successful we can be at getting this moved now that it's already up. They erected it right after the most recent school board meeting. So there isn't another one for a while... shady.

I think you need to contact people in your Municipality. I don't really get why a school board would have the authority to make this decision.

If you have Councilmen, Aldermen, etc they are the people to call. Also, there has to be some zoning regulations. People have definitely defeated proposals for cell towers, but now that it's built. I don't know. It seems odd that they built it on/near school property given the fear folks have of them.

You definitely should have gotten some notice ... so I would start by seeing what's up with your city officials and if they can help you.

Search around a little bit ... there are ideas and information.

i would even call the cell phone company and ask if it can be moved to an area that is not so residential!
    Last edited by echo226; 08-17-2013 at 12:58 AM.

Mohandas Gandhi

cornholio In just re-read your post. On the first read I missed the part about others in the county rejecting this and now you got it.

Sometimes what happens is that city/county officials will try to work with the cell phone people after rejections ... and give them other optioms. It really sounds as if that is what happened. Somebody approved this ... and you'll need to finf out who and why.

Sorry ... and best of luck with your efforts to fight it.

Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread